Gransnet forums

AIBU

... being cross that we've put central heating back on ... middle of flipping August!

(55 Posts)
granjura Sat 16-Aug-14 20:33:22

Grrrrr- good news is (and I do feel so guilty about being so happy about this) DD1, her OH and our granchildren are baling out of their campsite in France to come and dry out and be warm at Grannie's and Granpa's- going to help them pack up tomorrow. They've had a dreadful week with tons of rain and mud, poor things. The other families can go off to restaurants, but due to GS's allergies to egg and some nuts, etc- they just can't take the risk.

Let's hope for a wonderful Indian Summer- autumn is actually my favourite season in the Jura- great colours, huge skies and views, and lot of wild mushroom forays.

Nelliemoser Wed 20-Aug-14 22:47:54

Yes I have put the CH on a couple of times in the morning in the last couple of weeks and had the gas fire on in the evenings.

FlicketyB Wed 20-Aug-14 21:51:39

This evening I considered putting a winter nightdress on. I didn't but I am wrapped up in my cosy winter dressing gown.

janthea Wed 20-Aug-14 10:27:53

My heating came on this morning. When I got up I found the radiators were warm. I have my thermostat set at 21 so if it gets colder than that, it automatically comes one.

Charleygirl Tue 19-Aug-14 14:08:24

I live in a well insulated end terrace of three. The middle house has the heating on most days of the year, even in July when I was in my garden sunbathing. They did turn it off when the T reached 25C. I suppose that I benefit as some heat must permeate through the walls.

granjura Tue 19-Aug-14 14:01:26

Having started this sorry rant, feel a bit embarrassed to say it's another lovely warm day here, albeit a bit windy ;)

suebailey1 Tue 19-Aug-14 09:53:48

Very chilly day here in the East Midlands- extra clothing Ok when moving about but when I sit down my body temp seems to drop dramatically - shall put the heating on if needed. had the little heater on in the conservatory this morning while we had brekkie but as its south facing its warmed up in there now. Going to the hairdresser today - always freeze in their sitting with head wet while colour takes.

glammanana Tue 19-Aug-14 09:21:39

Just wait until the little people go back to school you can bet your life the weather will be warm for a good few weeks it always is,no heating on here we are well insulated and the lady downstairs has her heating on all year which cancel's out any need for us to have our heating on,we don't have a fire in our lounge just a radiator which come's on about end of October.

Elegran Tue 19-Aug-14 09:04:45

10 degrees here, and it was 8 degrees an hour or two ago. My heating has been on for days. It comes on morning and evening, and I override it to go off when it feels warmer.

Galen Tue 19-Aug-14 08:59:13

B iPad. Just because I took it to the Genius Bar yesterday it's got uppity!
Heating not beating!

Charleygirl Tue 19-Aug-14 08:55:33

I have certainly stored the fan away. It is sunny but much fresher outside this morning. I have the French doors open now but it does get nippy in the evenings and if one is not in the sun.

Galen Tue 19-Aug-14 08:51:37

12C here! My beatings on.

Ivanova5 Tue 19-Aug-14 08:18:54

Same here Flickety Morning walk in winter coat and sweatshirt(fleece lined) really cold, windy and rainy. I think this year that the early mornings have been exceptionally dark. But today had a real taste of winter. Even the dog (skinny greyhound) had it's coat put on!

FlicketyB Tue 19-Aug-14 08:09:27

Woke up this morning to find that the heating had come on. Our thermostat is set at 18.5 degrees and I cannot remember when it last came on so early in August.

When I got downstairs and consulted the weather station, it was saying 8 degrees for outside. I did my morning walk in sweater and anorak.

thatbags Tue 19-Aug-14 07:11:38

Welcome to gransnet, absentgrandma! smile There'll always be someone having a moan about what's allowed on which thread. Just wing it and have fun smile

Soutra Mon 18-Aug-14 22:49:04

The difference as I see it is the air temperature. Had coffee in the garden with my neighbour this morning in the sun but when it went in it cooled down dramatically and tonight it is quite nippy so I have looked out the electric blanket and put it on our bed (low-ish) smile

granjura Mon 18-Aug-14 22:41:07

Lovely and warm again today, and heating off again- hopefully till mid October.

Absentgranma- - 12C, lol, you wimp, lol ;)
The record here is minus 42.8C, ahahaha. Fortunately we have a huge stone glad wood-burner and 90cm thick stone walls.

Ana Mon 18-Aug-14 21:53:20

Still don't know why you felt the need to raise the subject on this thread, absentgrandma. We were just chatting about the weather...hmm

absentgrandma Mon 18-Aug-14 21:35:01

Did I actually say someone on this forum? It's a subject that raises it's head every autumn usually on a UK phone-in and yes, Ana, the record does need putting straight as there are two sides to the argument.Here we go down to -12c on a regular basis in the winter,it was our choice to live here, just as it's our choice /right to accept the WFA. What makes me laugh (just) are the numptiess - not Gransnet members I'm sureshock, who think we are the idle rich living La Dolce Vita in year-round sunshine.

Nonu Mon 18-Aug-14 21:19:56

ANA?

Ana Mon 18-Aug-14 21:11:54

Nonu?

Nonu Mon 18-Aug-14 21:03:46

ANA
grin

Ana Mon 18-Aug-14 20:27:50

Has anyone on here been 'banging on' about the WFA for ex-pats? confused I don't think the record actually needed setting straight, absentgrandma!

absentgrandma Mon 18-Aug-14 20:22:08

It's certainly autumnal first thing in the morning down here in SW France, and although it's only hit the high 30s a few times this summer we can't complain. The evening rain has kept the veggies growing without having to water the garden, and we've a bumper crop of chanterelle mudrooms for free.

Don't you just love it, Granjura when some old misery in the UK starts banging on about ex-pats getting their heating allowance? Yeh,like ... we're all sitting round the pool in our bikinis in December drinking pina coladasgrin. I've just ordered our winter wood supply which will take up all our fuel allowance and then some. Not complaining, just putting the record straight.

Nonu Mon 18-Aug-14 20:13:30

|I most certainly would, ^ I LOVE A WOOLEY, CASHMERE OR ANGORA SWEATER, nothing like them for keeping one cosy, don"t ya know !

My little lovely, AKA known as Mr N feels exactly the same

Well OCTOBER is when I get back from Stateside !!!

smilesmile

Although I feel sad about comimg back!

Ana Mon 18-Aug-14 19:42:12

So you'd rather sit shrouded in woolly jumpers etc. than tweak the heating up, Nonu? Why? What's so special about October? confused