Gransnet forums

AIBU

Worried about DD and DGC

(35 Posts)
vampirequeen Wed 20-Aug-14 07:57:22

I would think that your DD's previous experience with a drug user was at least emotionally damaging if not physical. Perhaps she now feels worthless and that makes her easy to control. You say your SIL is very manipulative and demanding. If she is emotionally damaged that makes her an easy target for a manipulative man. If she is being controlled I doubt she knows it's happening. I was controlled for over 20 years and it was only when I left that I realised what had been happening.

All you can do is be there for her. Let her know she's loved and that whatever happens you will always be there.

One thing though. If the house is disgusting I have to ask if you believe the children are safe and being nurtured. If you can't say yes to this question then you have to report them to social services. You can do it anonymously.

Coolgran65 Tue 19-Aug-14 22:54:01

I am so sorry, it has to be so hard for you to watch on.
There is something not right, who would want to live in a dirty house and support a man who is so awful. If your DD is working she can't do everything, he is of no use, is DD subject to feeling low, perhaps it is easier to go along with his behaviour than to fight it.

What was house like with her ex.
I agree that perhaps rock bottom has to be hit, and then you do what you can for her and DGC, not him.

So sad for what you, and she, are missing.

Tresco Tue 19-Aug-14 22:23:58

Your description has signs of your daughter's husband having addiction problems, whether to drink or gambling. Is there an Al-anon group near you? They help all the friends and family of someone with a drink problem, and help people "detach with love".

susieb755 Tue 19-Aug-14 22:14:20

If the house is that dirty, and always short of money, it may be worth a call to social care and health - they can often affect change

Could the man be suffering from depression?
If DD has a history of unsuitable partners, a pattern changing course may help - local Dv services could advise.

janerowena Tue 19-Aug-14 21:55:26

I can't say that my daughter is in as bad a situation as yours, but her OH is very manipulative, Having said that, so was my Ex and it took me years to get rid of him. I think things will come to a head eventually. If your daughter ever needs a roof, simply don't offer one to him.

Nonu Tue 19-Aug-14 21:53:16

Sounds rotten to me !

Sugarpufffairy Tue 19-Aug-14 21:40:29

Hi Janerowena
I would love to kidnap her and the kids and keep them all safe and well cared for but I know what you mean.
I thought she would have come to here senses after the previous partner because there surely cannot be anything much worse than seeing your child nearly killed by their own father.
The previous partner took drugs but I dont think this one does. He smokes a lot, drinks a fair bit and had some weird involvement with gambling. My daughter stopped his bank card after that.
I am 10 years older now than I was at the first instance, my health is even less good than it was then and I seem to be less able to cope. Other family want me to be safe so they want me to stay back but she is my child and I miss what I cant have.
Sugarpufffairy

Grannyknot Tue 19-Aug-14 21:35:26

sugarpuff I'm sorry for you.

20 demanding calls in one afternoon? Neglect of personal surroundings? Something isn't right there...

janerowena Tue 19-Aug-14 21:28:21

Short of kidnapping her and employing someone to hold her captive until she comes to her senses, there is nothing you can do, until she is at rock-bottom. Anything you do will be seen as interference. Bossiness. Until SHE is ready to call it a day. I do so feel for you, but I think yopu have to stay detached without enabling her. Don't help her clear up, just be there, I wonder if he takes drugs?

Sugarpufffairy Tue 19-Aug-14 21:04:11

I am looking for any advice or hints to cope with a situation that is on going in my family.
Daughter is married to a man who has irritated everyone he comes in contact with. He has caused my daughter's friends that she has had since Primary school to avoid her. These friends are all now in relation-ships and some have children of similar age to my DGD. This man does not work and complains about looking after the children. He does not complain about doing the housework because he does not clean up at all. The house is a mess and not even the baby's bottles get washed or even rinsed through. He spends money like water and even though my daughter works hard and earns decent money, they never pay the bills properly but there are loads of toys, more than any children could need.
He wanted to live near his family and the children are seen by his mother more than any of our family even though there is another child of the same age in our family. The mother of that child will not allow this man to be alone with her child.
This man has tried to get various elderly and/or ill members of our family to buy things like a car and even a house. I too have be subjected to his demands and his high pressure tactics. I have had over 20 calls in an afternoon with demands. There is a dispute with a solicitor over the solicitor making an offer on a house for an elderly now deceased person 2 months before death. The person holding Power of Attorney made themselves known to the solicitor but the solicitor failed to take appropriate action due to various circumstances.
My daughter and her family were homeless for months. This man thought not paying the rent going homeless would force the council to house them. She listens to him and seems to believe his every word but does not appreciate help from her family.
Recently my daughter worked some overtime. Pay day has been mid month and already there is no money left. The house is very dirty and they have only had it for a week. They had a temporary house for a few weeks and that was left filthy too. There was no electricity so that I could clean up a bit.
I do not know what to do. My daughter constantly makes excuses for him. She is very against single parents and does not want to be one. She is losing her friends and family because of this man's conduct. I am really struggling to keep going and not join the people who no longer see her. She can be such a lovely girl but I think she picks bad men, The previous partner was similar in many ways but different. The previous one was in control by violence this one is manipulative.
I wish I could have time with my daughter and GC and have fun and peaceful outings. She and the children can not have a very good life in all this filth and with finances so rocky. I realise my daughter is an adult and should know better but I believe she is too tired and stressed to think straight. (Or maybe I have rose tinted specs)
Any advice, suggestions or hints would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sugarpufffairy