Gransnet forums

AIBU

Fresh Veg

(41 Posts)
GrumpyOldMan Sun 31-Aug-14 20:29:49

I am very disappointed with the freshness of produce nowadays. I just had some tomatoes from the garden and what a great difference in taste!
I remember when, during the summer, we were able to buy fresh produce that tasted good.
Now we buy tomatoes, plums peaches etc. bring them home and try to ripen them at home. Some of the start to grow mould before becoming ripe! Some never ripen at all and are almost tasteless. I have even had potatoes which have been cooked for ten (10) hours in a stew and still have crunchy bits!!!
In these days of "five a day" this is not encouraging people to eat fresh fruit and veg.
Also what will be the long term effects of eating under ripe fruit and veg? Remember BPA that was claimed to be safe by the manufacturers!!!

rosequartz Tue 02-Sep-14 17:11:47

Aka - I swear it's got an 'e'. not an 'a'.

I never knew that (not that I ever write or type it of course)

rosequartz Tue 02-Sep-14 17:13:14

Grumpy have you got a farm shop selling local produce near you?
Perhaps it may taste and keep better if it has not travelled so far.

Aka Tue 02-Sep-14 17:17:45

We'll buggar beggar me so it has!

Aka Tue 02-Sep-14 17:19:03

Well!! Blasted iPad!

Aka Tue 02-Sep-14 17:19:18

shock

Charleygirl Tue 02-Sep-14 17:21:16

Grumpy Waitrose is my nearest and they are no better re taste or fruit ripe one minute and soggy and disgusting the next.

rosequartz Tue 02-Sep-14 17:24:57

I just ate a Waitrose nectarine and I must say it was very nice.

Lidl's Italian peaches were superb a couple of years ago but haven't seen any as good since.

It is all a bit inconsistent. You would think that M&S would be good quality, but I bought a butternut squash from there; when I went to use it about three days later my fingers went straight into it. Squishy and Yuck! (they did give me a refund, I asked on principle).

Galen Tue 02-Sep-14 17:48:30

I bought a net of easy peelers from waitrose on Sunday. Today two of them were mouldy. Our waitrose deliver is dreadful. Short bb dates and fruit and veg that's either I ripe or goes off quickly. Fat too many substitutions as well. We have sainsburys opening next month, I'll try them

TriciaF Tue 02-Sep-14 18:31:14

Even here, in SW France the summer fruits are becoming tasteless, or quickly going mouldy. Most of the fruit & veg. in our supermarkets are locally grown in the summer.
Our own produce is finished or past its best.
I have heard that not far from here there are huge refrigerated units where they store fresh produce and keep it at a constant temperature for months.
Eventually sending it out to shops where the shelf life is very short.

annodomini Tue 02-Sep-14 19:29:48

English apples will be on the shelves soon.Looking forward to a nice fresh ripe Cox.It's a shame that too many are sold before they should be. When we lived in Norfolk they told us that Coxes shouldn't be picked before Halloween,

ayse Tue 02-Sep-14 19:39:17

I try to shop at my local market or in fairly nearby fruit and veg shops. Always much cheaper than supermarkets. I do find that it has to be eaten quite quickly. I bought some doughnut peaches in Morrisons. They were supposed to ripen at home but they are both hard and beginning to rot. I give Morrison their due as most of their fruit and veg is good quality.
Looking forward to English apples - Cox's especially. Lovely with a good cheddar. The market had Victoria plums last week but I didn't buy any 'cos I had enough fruit at home.

durhamjen Tue 02-Sep-14 19:42:38

I by organic food. Last year I was buying peaches, apricots and nectarines. This year haven't seen any.

jamsidedown Tue 02-Sep-14 20:34:58

We are lucky enough to have a good market and a farm shop/pick your own so lots of good seasonal produce. Looking forward to Cox's, mmmmm

absent Tue 02-Sep-14 21:32:34

Part of the problem about the flavour of fruit and vegetables bought from supermarkets is the variety on offer. Tomatoes, in particular, are chosen because they are robust enough to withstand the wear and tear of transportation and storage - some of them can probably be bounced on the floor without splitting. The varieties are also selected because they produce attractive looking fruit - evenly round, red and uniform in size. Flavour is the last consideration, if it's considered at all. These sorts of criteria are applied across the board. As a result, several hundred varieties of English apples are no longer produced because they do not conform to the supermarkets' requirements, although they may be exactly what the customer wants.

etheltbags1 Tue 02-Sep-14 22:00:14

that's why lots of people use farm shops now, more expensive but much nicer. I also have 2 friends with large gardens so I get fresh fruit and veg regularly and I don't care what they look like but they taste lovely.