Gransnet forums

AIBU

Food shopping with DH

(34 Posts)
jamsidedown Fri 05-Sep-14 15:41:19

When we first retired we used to go food shopping together. Much as I love DH it drove me potty! Having done the food shopping all our married life I found it very difficult to start explaining my every automatic and impulse buying. I made a stand and now go shopping on my own again, phew, what a relief! (I also enjoy pottering round the shops on my own and at my leisure). Am I being unreasonable and what do other GNetters do?

janerowena Fri 05-Sep-14 15:45:53

Go separately. I do the main shop and send him off at weekends to top it up, because shock he really enjoys it!

My mother splits the list with SF, they have a trolley each and meet up at the checkout and turn it into a race! grin When DBH retires, I may have to do that, I can't bear how long he takes to deliberate over every purchase. I'm like a prizewinner racing around a supermarket, tearing around and ONLY buying the things I need. He ponders and swaps and goes back - a nightmare.

tanith Fri 05-Sep-14 15:56:58

We do it together mostly but I agree I'm much quicker and more decisive than OH he will sort through to find the longest dates etc takes forever sometimes but mostly I don't have anywhere else I have to be in a hurry so I just browse at the end of the aisle till he's made a decision.. grin

vampirequeen Fri 05-Sep-14 16:07:01

We go together. We both hate shopping so we whizz around as fast possible grin

rosesarered Fri 05-Sep-14 16:08:12

Always go on my own, and sometimes he goes on his own, it's like East is East and West is West and never the twain shall meet.I'm the one that deliberates and swaps things [and impulse buys] he is the one who races round and sticks to the list.You often overhear couples bickering in supermarkets [what do you want that for? It's too expensive! etc]I also like seeing if there are any new products I may like.

nightowl Fri 05-Sep-14 16:25:14

If there's anything I hate more than going shopping with OH it's weaving my way through the other couples dawdling round the supermarket, debating every purchase, getting in my way, and blocking the shelves.

On the rare occasions I do go with OH he disappears with the trolley leaving me traipsing behind with armfuls of stuff, looking for him. I never go with him willingly hmm

Nonnie Fri 05-Sep-14 16:42:15

DH does it on his own, buys what he wants to cook and I just add the odd thing I may want to his list.

numberplease Fri 05-Sep-14 16:46:38

My husband hates shopping, only goes when forced, but as I can`t drive, he had to take me for the weekly supermarket shop. However, as soon as they started online shopping and deliveries, he insisted that that`s what we were doing from then on. I`ve hardly set foot in Asda since then, although I would like to go occasionally to see what`s on offer that I might not spot when placing my online order.

kittylester Fri 05-Sep-14 17:05:00

Only at Christmas as the booze is his responsibility and then he pays!

kittylester Fri 05-Sep-14 17:07:09

I lied - I have taken him once and he questioned my choice of tinned tomatoes as 'these are much cheaper'. Never again!

Flowerofthewest Fri 05-Sep-14 17:19:17

I usually leave mine in the car.

Purpledaffodil Fri 05-Sep-14 17:47:37

I know just what you mean Nightowl. Mr Purple insists on taking the trolley as a kind of walking aid. Then he apparently dons his cloak of invisibility while I stagger around like a contestant in Double or drop in Crackerjack in days of yore. I much prefer going on my own, but lately I have been looking after GS aged 4 and he just loves using the handheld scanner. So it's back to having company again. At least I do have control of the trolley. grin

GrannyHaggis Fri 05-Sep-14 17:50:24

Being unable to drive due to a broken finger, I'm having to rely on DH to take me shopping. Oh how I'm longing for the day when I'm told that I can drive myself again. He does let me wander off by myself,while he stands leaning on the trolley at the end of an aisle, and he unloads the trolley and helps pack the bags, even pays,but I just want to do it by myself!!
On the way home today he said to me :I bet you can't wait to go shopping by yourself can you?

TriciaF Fri 05-Sep-14 18:07:17

We have completely different shopping styles. I keep to my list, based on what I'm planning to cook.
He looks for bargains to buy in bulk. He also has a sweet tooth and goes for chocolate, ice creams, sweet cordials etc which I never buy.
Luckily he usually leaves me to it, but on the odd occasion he does come along we argue a lot. And the bill is twice as big.

FlicketyB Fri 05-Sep-14 19:01:06

I shop on my own. I hate shopping for anything with anybody, except, occasionally, my daughter. DH knows and anyway has better things to do with his time than trail around behind me while I shop.

nightowl Fri 05-Sep-14 19:18:33

Purple grin

annodomini Fri 05-Sep-14 19:20:47

As I don't have an OH, I have the privilege of doing my own shopping, but I can see quite different trends in my two sons. DS1 makes a list on his smartphone and sticks to it fairly closely. His wife usually stays well away. As he does the cooking, this makes sense. DS2's partner works for one supermarket and usually shops in another! She doesn't take him with her if she can help it, but if he gets off the leash, he snaps up all the bargain buys. Consequently, their utility room is still full of the 'twofer' detergents that were on offer in Waitrose at least three months ago.

ninathenana Sat 06-Sep-14 00:07:55

DH and I mostly go together, he's happy to tag along and comes in useful at the checkout, he unloads the trolley whilst I pack the bags. He's very well behaved, he will follow me round pushing the trolley while I select from the shelves. He never interferes and only occasionally selects something himself.
grin grin

rubylady Sat 06-Sep-14 06:26:45

I don't have a OH. I shop online and have it delivered. I get my cup of tea, put some music on and shop away, it's bliss. smile

Jane10 Sat 06-Sep-14 09:53:08

My DH always assumes that he must "drive" the trolley. Drives me nuts. I tend to just go on my own. He likes to shop too but tends to come home with all his favourites- anchovies, stuffed olives etc. Not exactly a terrific contribution to the weeks shop but that's OK by me- he pays for his own personal shop.

jamsidedown Sat 06-Sep-14 11:59:52

Online shopping, now that's an idea ...I used to get it delivered when I worked but now I am retired I feel like I should make the effort. It's great for Christmas - saves all that awful queuing.

suebailey1 Sat 06-Sep-14 14:48:21

I have it delivered every week on Thursdays from Sainsbury's. I make a list on the fridge pad of things that have run out during the week and if they need to be got like today one of us takes a list - if I let him loose he goes to Morrisons which I hate- too small and crowded and a person could get killed in the car park.

Grannyknot Sat 06-Sep-14 15:56:45

This discussion is reassuring. I thought I was being a cow not wanting to shop with my husband. Jane you describe our situation exactly, excepting, as I'm off tearing around, he comes looking for me to come back to whatever he is deciding on, to consult further. Arghh!

Nelliemoser Sat 06-Sep-14 16:29:55

No! No! No! No! much quicker on my own. The trolley does not get moved away. I don't get the price per tea bag of 5 brands minutely analysed.
Suggestions that I buy ten boxes of this that or the other because they are offer.

I have just seen that Nightowl also has problems with trolleys being moved off it's totally frustrating but I am not alone.

Bez Sat 06-Sep-14 16:59:20

We go together most times to do the big shop - and for all the moaning ( which has decreased significantly) I think he quite enjoys it. We usually go late morning and do the lovely veg shop - Grand Frais - and then go and have a very civilised lunch. After which we do the supermarket round - at this stage OH is nicely fed and quite content so happily goes around sometimes finding me to pop his purchases in the trolley - he is now good at remembering to zap them with the scanner too. Then if we need it we go to the freezer shop. - he loves that bit as they have some lovely items. All is now done very amicably. Sometimes I go with a friend and that is good too.
I had a bit of an incident a fortnight ago and went unconscious so was ambulanced into the local hospital - spent two nights in there and even had a go in the brain scanner - fortunately they found an undamaged brain but I am banned from driving at the moment till I have seen a neurosurgeon in a week's time. I am also having to rest a lot - friends have been wonderful in providing assistance but we are now working our way down the freezer - I feel an exciting trip coming on in a couple of weeks! grin