Gransnet forums

AIBU

Food shopping with DH

(35 Posts)
jamsidedown Fri 05-Sep-14 15:41:19

When we first retired we used to go food shopping together. Much as I love DH it drove me potty! Having done the food shopping all our married life I found it very difficult to start explaining my every automatic and impulse buying. I made a stand and now go shopping on my own again, phew, what a relief! (I also enjoy pottering round the shops on my own and at my leisure). Am I being unreasonable and what do other GNetters do?

Grannyknot Sat 06-Sep-14 19:49:50

Bez that must have been scary (went unconscious). Perhaps you just "had a turn" smile. Jokes aside, get well soon.

tcherry Sat 06-Sep-14 20:44:16

I had to stop going shopping with my husband because he would just want to buy goddies and lots of them and he was never one for trying to put a meal together and it caused arguments, so I started going alone and kept to that the whole time.

What I think works is if for example your shopping budget was £80 for the both of you which is what ours was, then you just split that between you and he buys want he want to eat and you buy what you want to eat, it is very liberating and may or may not work for you.

jamsidedown Sat 06-Sep-14 20:50:54

bez, that must have been really scarey, I hope it soon gets sorted out soon. flowers

annodomini Sat 06-Sep-14 21:27:18

Bez, what a shock for you. I'm glad they found your brain undamaged and hope they get to the bottom of the problem very soon.

Jane10 Sun 07-Sep-14 09:54:10

Bez- scary stuff. Fingers crossed you`re back to normal soon. Tcherry- good plan. We have one evening a week where we each do our own catering. Its a constant amazement to me what he chooses to make for himself. The worst being one of his favourites- a chicken jalfrezi with mashed turnips or cabbage as a vegetable all washed down with a bottle of red. Yuk. He`s best avoided the next day shall I say....................

tcherry Sun 07-Sep-14 10:29:24

hope all is well with youBez

jamsidedown Sun 07-Sep-14 10:31:59

jane10 that sure is a strange combination. smile

Soutra Sun 07-Sep-14 12:28:43

Best wishes Bez - that must have been very frghtening for you and I hope you are on the mend.
Strange system of apportioning the shopping, tcherry - I know the thread is entitled "Food Shopping" but I take it to mean supermarket shopping in general, If youy divvy up the your budget into "his" food and " her" food" who is responsible for the dishwasher tabs, the loo paper, the laundry detergent, the dog food, the tea and coffee, the bread, the butter and jam, cooking oil, sapt and pepper, the furniture polish, the pedal bin bags etc?
I can do a shop which actually contains remarkably little food as such but still mounts up to a tidy sum.

Bez Sun 07-Sep-14 13:28:42

Thank you ladies for your good wishes - I am getting better and my eyes are now back to a near normal colour. I have organised a lady to come and give me a hand in the house next week - not yet bad but I could do with someone to dust the bedroom floors etc.Oh has been good hanging out the washing etc - I think he had a dreadful shock. I must say though that the medical services were wonderful and everyone was very kind and thoughtful.
I have had a good poke about in the freezer this morning and we will need to do a shop soon - I wonder if I will allowed to push the trolley at all on my own! Have a lovely Sunday afternoon.sunshine