Gransnet forums

AIBU

How the rich get richer

(31 Posts)
NanKate Mon 08-Sep-14 07:14:16

I have just reluctantly spent a weekend with my DH's family.

Their life revolves round money and how to save it. I don't want to know how much they saved on every part of their self built new riverside house which admittedly is beautiful. Or hear about how they are always upgraded on any holiday for no extra money, or how they got the best waiter or the top hospital consultant.

When we were choosing to go out for the day their was consternation at the price of the entry fee, they were worried they would have to pay for us. I said 'Don't worry we will pay for ourselves' this calmed things down.

When my BinL and I shared the newspaper I gave him the first few pages he immediately started reading from the back of the paper. I assumed he was reading the Sport, silly me it was the stocks and shares.

I did have one very tiny victory which must be irking them now. Their fabulous riverside house with a landscaped garden down to the river is worth about the same as our end of terrace modest home in the Thames Valley.grin

tiggypiro Mon 08-Sep-14 20:23:37

WhenI was endurance riding my pony was the hairy type and however hard I tried he never looked smart and frequently dripped mud. I reckoned then that my place in life was to make other people feel better about themselves. It never bothered me as I often had the last laugh.

Maybe that is the case with your in-laws NanKate

Deedaa Mon 08-Sep-14 22:47:08

Some years ago DH and I were staying with friends in the South of France and intending to go to the Monaco Grand Prix. They had a pair of friends who had just sailed their yacht over from Cornwall to Cannes and who spent the evening telling us about the yacht and showing off the wife's jewellery. When we said we were getting a lift to Monte Carlo to see the race they said "Oh don't do that! It's such a rip off! Everything's so expensive, the price of food is daylight robbery!" We went any way, paid 20euros each to watch the race and found you could get perfectly good filled baguettes from a van for a couple of euros - and it was fun! Fun didn't seem to feature in this couple's life.

Judthepud2 Wed 10-Sep-14 14:49:59

Very 'nouveau riche' attitude, that boasting about money. People who have been born into old money tend not to flash it about. wink

Deedaa Wed 10-Sep-14 21:26:39

We used to do opera evenings in country houses, with a buffet. One house was a wonderful old place, dating back to the eleventh century, and the family had lived there almost as long. When the concert was over the lady of the house rolled up her sleeves and got straight into the washing up (A great rarity among the houses we went to) She helped us with all the clearing up and packing all our stuff up and was very keen to see that no extra work was left for the house keeper. And, of course, the house was full of worn old furniture and dog blankets, with the obligatory battered old Volvo estate in the garage.

rosequartz Wed 10-Sep-14 22:10:44

The Shugborough estate is only an hour from Leicester, and it's massive.
Djen I used to live near there; DN got married there. His Lordship was in residence at the time and some of the guests got told off for walking in front of his windows and spoiling the view for his guests!!
Sudbury is lovely as well, visited there earlier this year.

Twice DH and I have set out to visit a NT property and found either when we arrived or en route when I checked the handbook that these properties were closed on certain days.
Always best to check first blush