Gransnet forums

AIBU

How the rich get richer

(30 Posts)
NanKate Mon 08-Sep-14 08:22:51

Yes Kitty I was in your neck of the woods, having said that we were in some very nice countryside and our trip up to Chatsworth was fab.

I was asked by my BinL what our diesel consumption was, didn't have a clue. Also did we have 6 gears on our car like his. I'm glad he didn't ask me how much a loaf of bread or pint of milk costs down our way because I just chuck things in the trolley and don't check.

It's nice being back in our modest, if dust laden, home. Wouldn't swap with them for the world.

Finally you may be able to answer this question Kitty they said it was hard to find any National Trust type property to visit as it was now September and a Friday. hmm I think I have got used to the 24/7 life down here in the south. Hence we went to Chatsworth.

kittylester Mon 08-Sep-14 08:06:08

So, we are better off being worse off, Jess! grin

JessM Mon 08-Sep-14 07:57:10

Gets very boring doesn't it when the main interest and main topic of conversation is money, possessions and getting more of both. Yawn. Probably true though that the rich get richer by focussing on money and thinking about how to make it and save it. The spending bit is more of a nouveau riche thing in my observation. Also having too much sometimes leads to major problems because you have to worry about where to invest it, or looking after the assets you own.

kittylester Mon 08-Sep-14 07:22:32

Were you in my neck of the woods NanKate?

There are lots of people like that about - I always assume they are very insecure about something else and that behaviour gives them some control.

NanKate Mon 08-Sep-14 07:14:16

I have just reluctantly spent a weekend with my DH's family.

Their life revolves round money and how to save it. I don't want to know how much they saved on every part of their self built new riverside house which admittedly is beautiful. Or hear about how they are always upgraded on any holiday for no extra money, or how they got the best waiter or the top hospital consultant.

When we were choosing to go out for the day their was consternation at the price of the entry fee, they were worried they would have to pay for us. I said 'Don't worry we will pay for ourselves' this calmed things down.

When my BinL and I shared the newspaper I gave him the first few pages he immediately started reading from the back of the paper. I assumed he was reading the Sport, silly me it was the stocks and shares.

I did have one very tiny victory which must be irking them now. Their fabulous riverside house with a landscaped garden down to the river is worth about the same as our end of terrace modest home in the Thames Valley.grin