Gransnet forums

AIBU

to think retailers have some responsibity?

(106 Posts)
Jane10 Mon 20-Oct-14 14:08:59

This only came into force today apparently. I have to say that I did walk out and leave the jumpers on the counter. I suppose I could have asked for them to be left on their hangers and just walked out carrying them. Good opportunity for shop lifters ......................? Could just say they didn't want to buy a bag?
What about when buying underwear? Just stuff it all in my handbag? Lovely customer service! Its no use. I`m still simmering!
Off to order online!

Elegran Mon 20-Oct-14 14:04:13

And if you did walk out with them unwrapped, would the store detectives haul you back?

glammanana Mon 20-Oct-14 14:00:42

Jane10 Thats strange indeed I bought a cashmere jumper at M&S last week and it was packed in a bag for me and I'm certain I wasn't charged (must find receipt & check) what would happen do they expect you to walk out of the shop holding two new jumpers unwrapped ?

Liz46 Mon 20-Oct-14 13:52:54

I volunteer in a charity shop and an increasing number of people have fold away bags that they bring out for their purchases. It's all to do with the environment. Perhaps we should bring back paper bags. Holland and Barrett use paper carriers.

Charleygirl Mon 20-Oct-14 13:48:26

I was aware that we had to pay for carrier bags if buying food but I had no idea that we had to buy the carrier bag if buying clothes. I may well have have left the items on the counter as a matter of principle and ordered on line.

Jane10 Mon 20-Oct-14 13:44:44

I`ve just been out to M&S and was planning to buy 2 jumpers. Cost approx £70. I was pretty taken aback to be asked if I`d like to buy a bag to take them home in. While I`m quite accustomed to taking my own shopping bags when buying food I really didn't expect to have to take a reused ex food bag to put my clean, new purchases in. I queried it and was told "its the law". There is no obligation for retailers to hand the proceeds to charity they can simply keep it as extra profit. Am I daft to think that if I`ve spent such an amount in their shop they cant pay for the bag? If I spent £1000 on a wedding outfit would I still have to pay for a bag/box? I know about the environment but have retailers no responsibility to clear up any bags of theirs blowing around? After all they are free advertising for them. Maybe I should have asked for a plain bag so I`m not advertising their shop. angry
Just checked and mail order packages are exempt. Hhhmmm there`s a thought! Rant over