Gransnet forums

AIBU

Children's names

(130 Posts)
NanKate Sat 25-Oct-14 22:04:59

Is it me or are children given some weird and unusual names nowadays?

Today I was out shopping and heard a family calling for their boy/girl with the name of Coven. Do they know that is a group of witches? Then someone else said 'Come here Anastasia' clearly a more cultured child bit still a bit of a mouthful.

How do the teachers manage to learn all these names as many are just made up. My friend's granddaughter is called 'Sky' as she was conceived in the open air. hmm

rosequartz Sun 26-Oct-14 20:30:30

There was a girl at my school in the 1950s called 'Aurora' - I believe she is now a Disney Princess!

Greenfinch Sun 26-Oct-14 20:40:29

Doesn't it mean "Dawn"? Very apt for a lot of girls I should think.

Greenfinch Sun 26-Oct-14 20:41:27

In one of my classes India sat next to Chynah.

hildajenniJ Sun 26-Oct-14 20:56:00

A friend of a friend called her new baby Zachariah Bartholomew, that's something of a mouthfull. A child in my DGD's previous school was called Halo I never found out if it was male or female, having just seen a list of prize winners on a board in the hall.

Deedaa Sun 26-Oct-14 21:18:09

GS1 was playing Skylanders and showing me a wolf character called Wolfgang. I told him there was a little boy called Wolfgang in his little brother's music group and he was amazed to find that it was a real name! He asked me who on earth would have a name like that so I said "lots of German people for a start!" He has an eastern european name and his brother's is italian so he can't really call other people's odd.

rubysong Sun 26-Oct-14 22:13:52

Honor Kermode. (A friend swears she knew a girl with that name.)

Greenfinch Sun 26-Oct-14 23:00:26

In Mexico I met a young man called Rainbow Skye descended from the N . American Indians. I think it is a lovely name. My son has an Indian friend called Kindness ,and Precious is in my DGS's class. Lovely.

annsixty Mon 27-Oct-14 09:10:11

I knew a Precious when a girl so she will be in her 70s now. My GD has a friend named Pagan, we often speculate if people remark on her "Christian" name.

kittylester Mon 27-Oct-14 09:34:51

Or ask if her Mum liked Jilly Cooper books!!

I've posted before about a girl DD2 went to nursery with who was salled Sammy Sunshine. Her mum went to register her on a really wet day and remarked that she brightened up the day. The Registrar said that she could call her sunshine and the Mum took him at his word! I often wonder what the father said! The child, when I knew her didn't live up to her name!

Jane10 Mon 27-Oct-14 10:19:47

I knew a support worker of African origin who was named after the doctor who delivered him: he was called Doctor!

rosequartz Mon 27-Oct-14 17:53:26

Precious reminds me of the No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency.
It is a pretty name, but I never had the courage to give my DC unusual names.

hildajenniJ Mon 27-Oct-14 18:01:01

My DGC all have Biblical names.
My DD once received a phone call from the child tax credit people who were dealing with her claim. He said "I don't need to ask your religion, You must be Orthodox Jews". To which she replied, "No I'm bringing them up Pagan, but for the form you can put down C of E". hmm

rosequartz Mon 27-Oct-14 18:04:42

hildajennij grin

DS has a saint's name - I do remember chatting with another playgroup mum who remarked that perhaps we give the boys saints' names in the hope that they will behave well - and that it doesn't work!

Actually, all my DC have saints' names come to think about it. hmm

The DGC do not.

FlicketyB Mon 27-Oct-14 22:20:15

My sister had a really unusual name, but, despite having to put up with a host of misspellings and mispronunciations, she quite liked it. But then someone with the name became famous - and she considered her problems got worse. People knew how to pronounce her name and spell it. Instead every one kept saying 'Oh, you have the same name as Xxxxxx Xxxxx', a woman who was more infamous than famous.

rosequartz Tue 28-Oct-14 14:59:55

Trying to work it out now, FlicketyB!

KatyK Tue 28-Oct-14 15:09:34

I knew an Isobelle Bell, a Pat Pratt, and Olive Green. When I was at junior school in the 1950s, I desperately wanted to be a Susan, Linda, or Jacqueline. My parents were Irish immigrants and my name is very Irish. I hated it at the time as I wanted to fit in. I am happy with it now. smile My DD works in a school and some of the names she tells me that some children have are very strange to me.

Grannyknot Tue 28-Oct-14 16:41:01

I heard a mother call out "Timber" on the Common a few weeks ago. I looked for a falling tree but then a little girl came running confused

NfkDumpling Tue 28-Oct-14 16:50:37

My class at school had three Margaret's, three Susan's and two Linda's (iPad insists on the apostrophe - should there be one?) and DD2 was one of three Catherine's in her class - all spelt differently) so perhaps widening the range of names isn't such a bad thing. But silly spelling is just affectation!

I do wonder if Gaye ever changed her name.

Greenfinch Tue 28-Oct-14 18:09:36

And I knew an Olive Branch and a Rhoda Horsey. grin

apricot Tue 28-Oct-14 18:17:02

I'm horrified by the return of what I think of as old peoples' names. I know babies called Walter, Agatha, Mabel and Stanley.
I wonder when Susan, Carol, Brian and Colin will come back? Of course we all gave our own children lovely names so I suppose their mums liked Ty and Phoenix and Ashleigh-Mae!

absent Tue 28-Oct-14 19:06:48

Old people were babies once. Names go around, in and out of fashion. Carol, Linda, Jacqueline, Susan, Christine, Brian, Ronald, Martin, Alan, David, Thomas, John – very common in our childhood – are today's old people's names.

pompa Tue 28-Oct-14 19:26:06

I love the return of old names, our GD is Florence Rose, my mother was a Florence. I know they were considering Agatha.

rosequartz Tue 28-Oct-14 20:05:29

www.britishbabynames.com/blog/2011/06/top-100-drop-outs-where-are-they-now-.html

Agus Tue 28-Oct-14 20:12:06

One girl at our school was called Faye Wray. Another was Joy and another called Gaye. I do remember thinking, as a child, that they were not actually proper names.

Probably thought this though as my name is a traditional, I think, boring name and there were three of us in the class.

annsixty Tue 28-Oct-14 20:13:38

My friend's GGS is called Frank. Had he have been a girl he would have been Elsie May.A neighbour narrowly missed having Hepsibah (sp?)when the baby was a GS and not a GD. She was very relieved.