Gransnet forums

AIBU

Russell Brand as future Mayor of London Noooooooooooo !

(145 Posts)
NanKate Sun 26-Oct-14 09:32:21

I would rather have someone from the Monster Raving Looney Party.

pompa Sun 26-Oct-14 14:39:29

I suspect he could be better than many of the tossers we get in politics today. At least we could get a laugh for our money.

goldengirl Sun 26-Oct-14 15:49:31

I'm amazed at all the publicity he gets. What a role model for young people. It says a lot about the state of this country sad

mollie65 Sun 26-Oct-14 18:29:56

can't stand the fellow (but then I am not a fan of Boris either) - why does 'that London' and the media have any time for the likes of him.
perhaps he is like marmite and you either love him or despise him and his antics. hmm

petallus Sun 26-Oct-14 18:37:27

Oooh, another lovely GN hate-fest!

Lilygran Sun 26-Oct-14 18:57:56

I've just read that a town in Alaska has had a cat as mayor for the last 17 years. I'd vote for that! Definitely better than Russell Brand. How about Jo Brand?

Tegan Sun 26-Oct-14 19:03:49

also better than Sarah Palin.....Jo Brand is far to clever and far too protective of her families privacy I'm afraid [but she would be brilliant].

Deedaa Sun 26-Oct-14 21:11:16

Isn't Mayor of London a political position that has to be voted for? Isn't Russel Brand the man who has been telling us not to vote for politicians?

Just asking .........................

I do think he talks a lot of sense about drugs though. Unfortunately he spouts so much rubbish about other things that no one takes him seriously.

Eloethan Sun 26-Oct-14 23:17:34

I do think he's a bit manic and probably too unpredictable to take on a job that is so far removed from his media "career". Let's face it, it's hardly likely to happen.

But I agree with a lot (though not all) of the things he says. He has dared to deviate from the "austerity script" that the majority of our politicians and commentators so slavishly follow. The backlash from that has already started, as paper after paper have slated him and his book today. Perhaps he's too naïve to have suspected that would happen.

Time will tell if he is genuinely committed to social justice or if it's all just a passing fad. I did hear him say he would be putting the proceeds of sale of his new book towards some sort of training initiative for young people - it will be interesting to see if that materialises.

Marty Mon 27-Oct-14 08:21:18

I read a book about him a few years ago. He came across as a nasty piece of work. He stole from his granny for drugs I think it was.

He seems to be famous for being famous - like the Kardashans (spelling). I think he is an idiot and always looks like he needs a hairwash and a bath. Yuk.

feetlebaum Mon 27-Oct-14 08:40:25

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who wonders if Mr Brand is a soap-dodger...

thatbags Mon 27-Oct-14 20:49:00

Haha! This is really funny. True too. Nick Cohen reviews Brand's book. the header of the newspaper article? "Revolution by Russell Brand review – the barmy credo of a Beverly Hills Buddhist".

Chuckle.

thatbags Mon 27-Oct-14 20:50:41

Oh, blast! the link takes you to the comments for some reason. Scroll up for the article or try [[http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/oct/27/revolution-review-russell-brand-beverly-hills-buddhist?CMP=twt_gu#c

thatbags Mon 27-Oct-14 20:51:14

Sorry! Just scroll up.

Leticia Wed 29-Oct-14 22:25:47

He makes me cringe!
The reviews about his dreadful book are very funny and cheer me up!

bee63 Thu 30-Oct-14 10:13:34

He's good looking - that's about it. If he was unattractive we'd never have heard of him.

petallus Thu 30-Oct-14 10:18:41

feetle what's a soap dodger?

I find RB very difficult to watch and listen to but I find his articles interesting and intelligent (some of the time).

Marmight Thu 30-Oct-14 10:26:21

? The great unwashed ?
I can't understand what Jemima Khan sees in him hmm

petallus Thu 30-Oct-14 10:29:00

Just read the Nick Cohen article. I found it too vitriolic to take seriously. There are several more balanced reviews in the Guardian Panel section.

Incidentally loved RB's description of Richard Dawkins as (according to Cohen) a 'menopausal proponent of atheistic tyranny'.

KatyK Thu 30-Oct-14 10:53:13

He has split with Jemima. He has a new lady.

hildajenniJ Thu 30-Oct-14 11:20:10

Russell Brand as mayor, perish the thought. That man is nothing but hot air.' and far too clever and full of his own importance for me to take anything he says seriously.

Eloethan Thu 30-Oct-14 15:30:49

Russell Brand doesn't claim to be an economist. Let's face it, most of these "experts" did not foresee the near collapse of the financial system and now seem perplexed that the current economic situation doesn't conform to their text book models. Some would also argue that they are complicit in maintaining a system that is unfit for purpose in that it only benefits a tiny proportion of the world's population.

Although some of Russell Brand's views seem outlandish, he is at least interested in the issues of injustice and inequality and perhaps he has encouraged young people to take more interest in what is happening in the world today.

It's interesting that most people who are rubbishing his ideas, have not read his book and are forming their opinions courtesy of the mainstream media. When I've read his book, I may also come to the conclusion that it's utter nonsense, but until I have I'll reserve judgment.

rosequartz Thu 30-Oct-14 20:24:35

There are several more balanced reviews in the Guardian Panel section. That should be a first then!

Such a pity that he makes such a complete idiot of himself; now he wants to be taken seriously he will find it very difficult.

He reminds me of that turquoise chap who used to be a sports presenter - oh yes, David Icke.

rosequartz Thu 30-Oct-14 20:28:49

In fact, I think he is quite dangerous, as he is a proponent of loony ideas but has quite a following amongst young people.

annodomini Thu 30-Oct-14 20:51:39

Is he really worth all this discussion? Doesn't it mean that we are taking him at least half-way seriously?

rosequartz Thu 30-Oct-14 20:52:58

You're right anno.