Gransnet forums

AIBU

FEUDING DAUGHTERS,,,,,advice please,,,

(38 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Thu 04-Dec-14 07:54:42

Perhaps if you choose your own 'thing' to enjoy at Christmas your DD's might either take the hump or waken up to the fact you have a life apart from them. Don't go berating yourself about their individual behaviours you've done your part and I'm sure done it well. It's time for you to enjoy special moments Remove the negatives and enjoy the positives. flowers

Liz46 Thu 04-Dec-14 07:38:30

A friend of mine is going away for Christmas with two other ladies. She was nervous about telling her family but they were o.k. about it.

NfkDumpling Thu 04-Dec-14 07:23:04

Perhaps their feuding is a sort of upmanship? If you do as granjura says and remove yourselves from the argument it may mean you all have a separate Christmas's but happy ones and next year, who knows?

flowers

thatbags Thu 04-Dec-14 07:17:22

Why don't you do what you want to do, what you say you feel like doing, and spend the day somewhere else, with your husband and without them? Spending xmas day in a 'conventional' way is not obligatory.

ginny Wed 03-Dec-14 22:18:08

I'm wondering how old these daughters are ?

I too are of the mind that you tell them they need to sort things out between themselves and not use you as a go between. Explain that you will not choose between them so will be spending Christmas quietly with your Husband and any one else who is willing to make it a pleasant experience.

Mishap Wed 03-Dec-14 22:13:24

My friend goes away on her own every Christmas because she feels she can't get it right with her family - she has a great time. Might be an idea.

janeainsworth Wed 03-Dec-14 21:55:38

Angie I think you have two choices.
As others have said, you can tell both your DDs that you are so upset and hurt by their behaviour that you have decided to spend Christmas just with your DH.

The other choice is to invite them both, with their partners, but make it clear that they are expected to behave themselves. If one of them decides not to come, it's her choice.

flowers

granjura Wed 03-Dec-14 21:44:29

Forgot the flowers

granjura Wed 03-Dec-14 21:44:16

What a dreadful 'pig in the middle' situation to be in- that is dreadful. But I agree with the others above- you should try and find the strength to say, quietly and calmly' that you love them both and always will- but that you just can't be pig in the middle anymore, and just won't do it- and that, therefore, if they can't be civil- then you will indeed spend Christmas on your own with OH- or even go away on holiday to the sun, or wherever, if you can afford to go away- even a simple Hôtel somewhere in the UK, or friends. It's just too hard- don't get angry- just tell them how you feel, and just can't do this anymore.

Really, really feel for you.

Tegan Wed 03-Dec-14 21:43:05

...may join you in that hotel, angie sad....families, eh???

tanith Wed 03-Dec-14 21:33:48

Maybe you should tell them how you feel and if they can't 'be nice' for the sake of a nice peaceful Christmas then maybe they should spend it in their own place and you have a nice quiet one with your husband. Perhaps when they realise you are serious then maybe they will think again.

whitewave Wed 03-Dec-14 21:24:18

personally I would spend Christmas on my own, and totally indulge myself.

Just think of the peace, quiet and stress free time you would have.

angiebaby Wed 03-Dec-14 21:19:08

my daughters are always falling out....i try to keep the peace,,but it isnt happening,,,im dreading christmas,,,have been told,,,im not spending christmas day playing happy families with her,,,she treats me like dirt,,,,,or im not spending christmas day with her boyfreind there,,,i dont even know him,,,the other one says,,,,im sick of her shes messing up this family,,,go and have christmas with her,,,count me out,,,,,,,for 2 pins i would like to shut the door clear off and check in to a hotel and sleep the day away till its all over, my husband says im a misery,,,,,he is a step father......he dont say anything to them to help sort it out,,,,,,,all i want is peace and my family around me,,,,i dont want to put any decorations up nothing,,,,its the same every year,,,,,,,even in the year,,,,,,,,,,,i also feel they dont come round quite so much if they do,,,,,its for 5 mins...or they want something,,,i feel very hurt,,,,,,,,,,,i have always been there for them....like all good mums,,,,but im at the end of my tether,,,,talking to them ......i have tried,,,any advice would be helpful,,,,,thank you,