Gransnet forums

AIBU

Talking to people in shops

(95 Posts)
NanKate Sun 21-Dec-14 16:38:56

I was shopping with a friend recently and in all the shops we went into she struck up conversations with all and sundry. I have to say here that my friend is a very generous, kind, friendly person, so you get the feel for her personality.

I tried to avoid all these little chats she was having and continued looking round each shop until she had finished these conversations.

My sister who leads a very solitary life is also ultra chatty with people in shops when she has the opportunity.

It worries me a bit that I avoid chatting to strangers or shop assistants. I am not an unfriendly person and have a good social life, but I wonder if I would be like this if I lived on my own and was lonely.

I don't want to turn into one of those old dears who hold up the queue with inconsequential chat, when I want to whip in and out of the shop sharpish.

I may one day regret my avoidance tactics.hmm

granjura Tue 23-Dec-14 14:03:34

grannyactivist, this is what OH and our girls say, and other relatives- about the 'aura'. They always are amazed that even if I don't talk to people, people seek me out and talk to me. Well, rather have it that way than t'other way round. My dad always said it too- miss you dad.

OH, DD1 and grandchildren have gone off to the Polar Park to see reindeer, huskies and more- lovely crips winter's day, but no snow. DD2 is arriving tomorrow from UK, and her little dachshund we've had to adopt from her last year, is on his last legs, sadly. 15 and started with diabetes this Summer- and has ben on insulin and doing well since then- But for past week or so, seems totally blind and keeps bumping into things, refusing to go for walks, etc, so don't want to leave him for too long. I hope we can keep him going best we can over Christmas, for DD2 but also for grand-daughter, 5 years old and absolutely besotted with him. And then once they are gone we will have to go and see the very nice vet and do what has to be done. He has had a wonderful last year, but time has come. Was not keen to adopt him, but shall truly miss him.

ginny Tue 23-Dec-14 17:27:08

No need to be so stroppy Ana I didn't say you were anti-social or odd. Live and let live indeed.

Ana Tue 23-Dec-14 17:30:50

hmm

loopylou Tue 23-Dec-14 17:33:25

Oh dear granjura, that's the worst thing about having pets, I do feel for you.
We no longer have a dog, because of working, still miss our last dog although she had a lovely life and it's been 6 years now.
Hope you have a lovely Christmas despite the sadness.

ginny Tue 23-Dec-14 23:02:00

It's ironic really. Here we are 'talking' with strangers about talking with strangers. Merry Christmas everyone even if I don't know you.

newist Tue 23-Dec-14 23:21:10

I was so busy chatting in our (small) co-op today, I demolished the mince pie display stand with my trolly tchblush

bikergran Wed 24-Dec-14 12:48:25

Strangers are friends we haven't yet met smile

granjura Wed 24-Dec-14 13:41:02

loopylou, thanks- he has had a wonderful life and will love his last family Christmas. With our beloved pets, I think we owe it to them not to keep them going come what may, once the simply joys of being a doogie are gone. His 'mummy' is arriving tonight from UK- and he will love having non-stop cuddles from her and little GD.

Just can't imagine our lives without a cat and a dog- and when the time comes- will have 1 of each again, and make sure we find excellent adoptive homes in case we can't see them through the 15- 18 years of their lives.

Leticia Thu 25-Dec-14 23:26:56

I always chat with strangers- it makes the world a pleasanter place!

mrsmopp Fri 26-Dec-14 01:38:23

I got into a conversation on a bus with a lovely lady who looked about ten years older than me. We chatted the whole journey then we both got up to get off at the same stop. I was about to say goodbye, nice to have met you and she suddenly said, "please will you come and have a cup of tea with me?" I was surprised but didn't like to refuse. It turned out she was new to the area, had lost her husband and was desperately lonely. Since then I have kept in touch and we meet regularly. I am encouraging her to join a women's institute or similar. I am so glad I accepted her impulsive invitation. It must be dreadful to live along and suffer from loneliness. I am sure it is very common, and there are many people in her position.

bikergran Sat 27-Dec-14 11:22:51

mrsmopp that is a lovely thing to have done smile

bikergran Sat 27-Dec-14 11:27:23

When I first bought a little scooter approx. 6 yrs ago, I toddled off down to Asda,parked up and this lady came dashing over to me saying "ohh I have just ordered a scooter the same as yours, I can't wait for it to be delivered" we had never met before and now 6 yrs later we both have Motorcycles and head off to the seaside and trips out with our butties and drinks.......my adventures have been curtailed of late, due to family reasons, but hopefully I will be back on my bike and joining my friend on trips out again when the time is right.. smile

mrsmopp Sat 27-Dec-14 14:35:11

Most people welcome a friendly word and i believe we should all reach out to one another. We all share the same planet after all.
An interesting thread, this one!

Eloethan Sat 27-Dec-14 15:19:47

My admiration to both of you mrsmopp - you for being such a friendly caring person, and she for having the courage to say that she was lonely and asking for your company.

Anya Sat 27-Dec-14 16:14:25

Slightly off the subject, I went into our local pharmacy today as DH has a terrible cough and asked the child serving behind the counter if they had any menthol crystals.

She looked totally shocked and, stuttering, informed me tartly they didn't sell 'anything like that'. The tone of her voice made the pharmacist look up and he asked if he could help, and yes they had some of course.

Wonder what she thought I was asking for tchgrin

Elegran Sat 27-Dec-14 16:21:56

You'll start a new trend of trying to get high on menthol crystals. That'll clear their tubes!

Ana Sat 27-Dec-14 16:41:39

She probably thought you were asking for 'crystal meth', Anya! tchshock

Agus Sat 27-Dec-14 17:05:27

Ana tchshock.

Eloethan Sat 27-Dec-14 23:29:37

That's hilarious.