Gransnet forums

AIBU

Do I trust him?

(39 Posts)
NanKate Sun 11-Jan-15 15:59:17

A rather difficult situation has arisen.

I have not seen or been in touch with my distant cousin for 50 years and suddenly he gets in touch with me via Friends Reunited, which I haven't used for years.

He had emailed to say his Mum, one of my last living older relatives was nearing her final hours. I am very fond of her and have always kept in touch. I know at almost 90 she is ready to go so I am relieved for her.

At this point I need to give you a bit of the background story, my cousin has led a notoriously odd and unusual life which alienated him from his entire family and he has led a life of his choice with little contact with anyone we know.

I responded to his email in a positive way and he replied thanking me for being friendly. It turns out like DH and myself, he is interested in Family History. When I showed an interest he has emailed me lots of useful info which has filled in a lot of gaps about the family.

In my usual open way I told him about my family and sent him a family photo of my DS's 40th. I noticed he has made no comments at all on my bits of family news.

The bit that worries me is that he did some awful things to his parents over the years which distressed them terribly. E.G. Sending them a wreath as if one of them was dead - creepy. Silent phone calls etc.

I do not intend letting him have my phone number, but he could easily find it. He lives miles from me. I just wonder if in my usual naivety I have opened myself up to problems.

He seemed so nice in the email. I think once he has told me of his mum's death I will cease contact.

Sorry I have gone on a bit, but I felt I needed to share it with you.

janeainsworth Sat 17-Jan-15 11:48:48

I agree with vq. I trust people unless I have good reason not to, and from what you've said nankate he hasn't done anything in the past which directly affects you, nor is he asking for anything which might disadvantage you.

soontobe Sat 17-Jan-15 12:37:51

I think you are doing the right thing.

He sounds a bit lonely to me.

alex57currie Sat 17-Jan-15 19:27:17

Nankate I feel uncomfortable re. the part in your OP were you describe his unsettling behaviour. My paranoid warning bells are ringing in that he could transfer this to you.

NanKate Sat 17-Jan-15 19:39:23

Thanks for your concern folks.

I do agree he is lonely and seems pleased to have found a member of the family to swap information with.

However I am keeping my distance and being careful what I say.

HildaW Sat 17-Jan-15 20:52:04

He has all the hallmarks of a manipulator....knows what buttons to push to keep you interested and is just candid enough to make you doubt what your gut in telling you! Listen and take note of what he says if you must.....but do not reciprocate in any way.

This is kindly meant but my father was such a person and we all learnt the hard way.

NanKate Sat 17-Jan-15 21:38:49

Thanks HidaW I will be very wary. No meet ups, no phone calls.

FlicketyB Sun 18-Jan-15 13:56:14

I find it curious that although he feeds you with interesting information about the history of your family he doesn't respond to any of the information you give him. Is the information he gives you true and verifiable?

It strikes me that he is leading you on, and at some point it will gradually become clear what it is he is hoping to get from you. People like this generally make contact out of the blue with distant relatives and old friends because they hope to exploit them.

loopylou Sun 18-Jan-15 14:06:57

Seems distinctly weird to me that he's evading answering any of your questions, something isn't quite adding up.

NanKate Sun 18-Jan-15 15:20:36

The info he is sending are photos, listings from the 1911 Census, names of people to add to my family tree. He doesn't seem that interested in my present day family life just info from the past. I suspect he is rather self absorbed.

Have you not met people who only want to talk about themselves and their interests, but not yours ?

I will keep you posted.

loopylou Sun 18-Jan-15 15:23:53

True NanKate, hadn't thought of that.

soontobe Sun 18-Jan-15 15:30:50

There is a possibility that he might be ill?

FlicketyB Sun 18-Jan-15 19:08:58

Yes, but not usually when you haven't seen them for a very long time.

rosequartz Sun 18-Jan-15 19:28:59

Perhaps he is just interested in family history per se, not present-day people. However, if you know his history with his immediate family is a bit suspect then be careful.

I had a second cousin I had never heard of contact me, I gave him my address and he tracked down my phone number too. He offered to send me lots of family history and some of it was very interesting, but most of it was present-day stuff. He did say he had tracked down some other second cousins on his other side and had called in on them and enjoyed visiting ...... He has not arrived yet!

Then again, another second cousin of DH contacted us and visited last year when she was over from Canada and we enjoyed her visit very much.