Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect most people to know how to operate a............

(41 Posts)
Anne58 Wed 14-Jan-15 10:25:33

Letterbox?

baubles Wed 14-Jan-15 10:31:36

Some letter boxes are extremely tricky. I've had quite a struggle to extricate my hand on more than one occasion.

Anne58 Wed 14-Jan-15 10:50:04

Ah baubles that almost proves my point, at least you were trying to operate it correctly! grin

Agus Wed 14-Jan-15 10:54:42

Depends on the postman I find.

I hate it when the postie puts mail halfway through the letterbox sometimes allowing a gale force wind through the hall if the storm doors are not closed!

loopylou Wed 14-Jan-15 10:56:48

Some are very fierce, got grazed knuckles on more than one occasion. Any mail only half pushed through gets soaked.

Anne58 Wed 14-Jan-15 11:01:00

agus and loopylou you are so right!

I'm fed up with finding the post, newsletters etc pushed halfway. Cold air in, heating out and some very soggy items that I have to dry out before even attempting to open them.

Mind you, I was none too happy the time I found the post had landed in something that had obviously been deposited by a cat blush

Agus Wed 14-Jan-15 11:10:07

Is that not a sign of luck Phoenix? grin

Anne58 Wed 14-Jan-15 11:21:15

No Agus depending which end it was from, it's either a sign that the cat concerned has eaten too quickly or that the litter tray needs changing!

Coolgran65 Wed 14-Jan-15 11:31:34

This morning our post, which would easily have fitted through our very easy to use letterbox, was thrown onto the front step. i was none to please especially as it was raining/showing, not in a good state.

loopylou Wed 14-Jan-15 11:44:36

Thought 'luck' related to bird poop, not cat! Yuck....can't for the life of me think what's lucky about it!
My mother used to tell me that but she never got pooped on! hmm

tanith Wed 14-Jan-15 12:21:27

The letter box on our newish front door is double , in that it has an outside flap and an inside flap and its really stiff to push stuff through, I can't say I blame our postie when he doesn't push things through properly. Its ok if he has a fairly thick/stiff letter but if its something soft/thin then its not a case of simply lifting the flap and pushing he has to put his whole hand through to open the second flap...

Mishap Wed 14-Jan-15 12:31:14

At least you all have your post - I do not expect to see our lovely jolly postman for a couple of hours yet! - and given that the road is very icy he may not get here at all today!

ninathenana Wed 14-Jan-15 13:46:23

We never get post before 1pm on weekdays angry why then can they deliver at 9am on Saturday.

On a slightly different topic. Why do people not know the function of a door knocker ?? Most seem to prefer to bang on the glass panel ( would I be libel if it broke causing injury?) or rattle the letter box.

loopylou Wed 14-Jan-15 13:49:53

ninathenana same here, but have different postman on a Saturday.
Also can't understand why no post for several days then a huge bundle get pushed through the letterbox!

Elegran Wed 14-Jan-15 14:22:20

Re door knockers - why do people ring the doorbell, then immediately hammer on the door and ring the bell again? I can't materialise at the door instantly when I hear the bell, I have to walk from the kitchen and across the hall, wiping my hands on my apron as I go.

Those who are most insistent in demanding that I appear at once are usually the ones I am least interested in meeting, as well, once I find out what they are there for.

I need an illuminated sign that says "Yes, the bell did ring. If I am at home I will open the door as soon as I reach it. If I am out, I won't hear the bell, and I won't hear you banging on the door either."

Anya Wed 14-Jan-15 14:27:39

I don't think my postman can read. We get post for Nuneaton on a regular basis. I live nowhere near Numeaton confused

loopylou Wed 14-Jan-15 14:36:51

My problem is the 83 houses on the estate all have the same postcode and one postman seems to get bored by the time he's got halfway round so my neighbour and I tend to get any mail he's 'forgotten' to deliver to the first half angry

FlicketyB Wed 14-Jan-15 15:39:17

I wish delivery men would learn to use a door bell, conveniently placed and very visible. DH has hearing problems and often doesn't hear them thump on the door unless he is in the hall at the time.

whenim64 Wed 14-Jan-15 16:03:05

My postman knocks on my front door then shoots up next door's path with their post so I am left standing on the doorstep when he returns to hand over my packages. Glaring at him doesn't seem to have any effect. I'm considering shutting the door again when he realises I have answered it. Unless anyone has a better suggestion........? grin

Anya Wed 14-Jan-15 16:14:32

Kick him in the goolies.

loopylou Wed 14-Jan-15 16:24:21

Pretty effective I suspect grin Anya!

Anne58 Wed 14-Jan-15 16:25:31

Anya grin

Do any of you remember my post about opening the door to let the cat in, and a disembodied hand coming through the gap with a bundle of post? I was naked at the time........blush

loopylou Wed 14-Jan-15 16:34:01

Well, at least it was only a hand phoenix!

Lona Wed 14-Jan-15 17:03:21

And it had the post in it! wink

loopylou Wed 14-Jan-15 17:50:55

What else does a girl want? grin