Gransnet forums

AIBU

Save ....with what

(54 Posts)
Kiora Wed 28-Jan-15 08:25:23

I probably am being unreasonable but I've just been listening to some patronising women on the BBC talking about 'planning for your care in old age' Im spitting feathers at her suggestion that we should all be saving money for care homes. Listen here I've never had the money to save. I've spent my wages bringing up my children, keeping a roof over our heads, and feeding and keeping us warm. My house is in desperate need of some TLC before I retire. What world do these people live in? Obviously the world were there was money left over. Take no notice of me if you read the 'good morning thread' you'll see this is the start of a very -- shitty day-- awful day.

Riverwalk Mon 02-Feb-15 09:41:25

That's quite a disturbing case jane.

However, it doesn't alarm me as much as talk of voluntary euthanasia becoming the norm i.e. just another option to be considered, along with choice of care home, care at home, bed-blockers, over-burdened public services, etc.

petra Mon 02-Feb-15 09:52:20

One other thing to think about if/when buying a retirement home.
The people you leave your property to are responsible for the service charges until the property is sold.

Eloethan Mon 02-Feb-15 11:45:53

petra Yes, that's a really good point, especially as I think most, if not all, retirement properties can't be rented out in order to cover expenses. On top of that, I've heard that they are very difficult to sell so that liability for charges could go on quite some time.