Gransnet forums

AIBU

in being disgusted with Oxford SU inviting Marine Lepen???

(184 Posts)
granjura Sat 07-Feb-15 20:36:50

what were they thinking about??? She represents the extreme and racist right and should not be given a platform in the UK- should she?

rosequartz Thu 12-Feb-15 18:09:49

They moved away TriciaF (thankfully)
The wife (mum) was lovely!

Soutra Thu 12-Feb-15 19:06:22

I am reminded (don't ask me why) of the wonderful Mae West quote:
"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted"

rosequartz Thu 12-Feb-15 19:10:44

Not drifted that far Soutra grin
Still talking about right-wingers (albeit in a roundabout way)

I have only seen her on the telly once (briefly) so can't judge - which is why she should be allowed free speech.

Marine Le Pen that is, not Snow White. I have seen Snow White a few times. But only on the telly as well.
DGD2 loves her (Snow White again, not M le P)

rosequartz Thu 12-Feb-15 19:13:03

which is why she should be allowed free speech. Get a grip Rose

Rambling a bit today (mind in several places at once!)

She should not be allowed free speech simply because I have only seen her once, but because people should be given the chance to judge what she says and accept or reject her utterings.

Eloethan Thu 12-Feb-15 19:17:45

absentgrandma I think I'm pretty easy going and I have friends whose views are very different from my own. However, I would draw the line at a person with dwarfism being talked about as if they were somehow undesirable and I certainly wouldn't find it at all amusing.

I think it rather fortunate that you never had any applications from ethnic minorities since your friend's horrible attitudes would no doubt have been picked up by them. You may find it hilarious that someone has such unpleasant views but those who are subjected to them do not find them funny at all. Are you really saying that as long as someone is polite and charming to you, their horrible prejudices should be met with a gentle, half amused, rebuke?

As I've said before, it's easy being tolerant when you're not the target of another's intolerance.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 12-Feb-15 19:23:53

Blimey. hmm

annodomini Thu 12-Feb-15 20:05:10

I agree with you, Eloethan. In my youth, when I was 'playing the field', I knew I could never bear to go out with a boyfriend whose political opinions were utterly different from mine and I never did. Evidently they were not attracted to me. Apparently, since leaving me almost 30 years ago, ex has become less radical than he once was!

granjura Thu 12-Feb-15 20:24:45

Not wanting to stir more trouble, but White South Africans come in different guises. It is those of Boer/Dutch/Norvegian origin who speak Afrikaans who do tend (trying not to stereotype) to have extreme views- those whose parents/grand-parents were responsible for the Apartheid regime, and still hark after it to this day. And also those of Huguenot French origin, who were also 'responsible' like the families of the infamous Eugène Terre Blanche, a nasty piece of work.

Those of English origin tend not to have such extreme attitudes.

My OH family at the time of Apartheid were in the worst possible situation- a mix of Norvegian, Dutch, Black African, English and Indonesian- living in the Malay quarters of Cape Towns- and with children in all shades- neither one group, nor another. Hence OH's parents decision to emigrate to England.