Gransnet forums

AIBU

snobby charity shops

(111 Posts)
etheltbags1 Sun 01-Mar-15 12:24:51

am I being unreasonable to think that charity shops have gone 'snobby'.
At one time you could root around in a 50p box and unearth a jumper that with a good wash would last for a long time. Books were coppers and so what if they had a bit of 'dog ears' the story wasn't affected.
The volunteers were friendly and would have a little chat but what a change nowadays.
The clothes are all colour co-ordinated (as if we cant see for ourselves what colour we want), the books are all next to new and cost £2 at least.
Everything is fashionable and nothing old is in sight. The staff are the worst, all dressed up smartly and looking down their noses as you go in the door. They pounce on you as soon as entering and ask if they can help, just as in a normal shop. That's not what most charity shoppers want, we can go to a shop selling new items anyday, we want a good root around to seek a bargain.
They will not take anything, no sheets, towels, underwear or socks. My aunt was in tears as she tried to get them to take bedding from her late sisters house, all clean and unstained and very good quality.
They will lose custom with this attitude, anyone agree with me.

Redhead56 Tue 22-Dec-20 10:54:22

There is a dual carriage way in an affluent area of Liverpool both sides are occupied with charity shops. The shops themselves have designer clothes in with designer prices.

They usually pay reduced rent and rates and don't pay vat. I briefly worked for a charity after Uni years ago most of the money they raised went on publicity and admin. Which is expensive but it made me wonder how much went to the needy. I don't go in these shops because it's not my idea of a charity shop.

Sarnia Tue 22-Dec-20 11:20:35

Like many posts on here, I enjoy a good old rummage, undisturbed by assistants. A few weeks ago I took a bag of girls pyjamas to a local charity shop. All washed, ironed and in good condition to pass on. The assistant stopped me on the threshold, holding up her hand as if she was stopping the traffic and with a martyred expression and a sigh, begrudgingly agreed she would take them but she was snowed under with contributions. No thank you was forthcoming. A different story when I took 2 bulging bags of clean toys to the Red Cross charity shop. I was thanked profusely and told how many parents had been in asking for toys in good condition. I know where my contributions will go in future.

Ailsa43 Tue 22-Dec-20 11:57:12

There are less and less good items being donated to Charity shops, since people can sell their items for free on FB directly from their homes....opr buy directly from someone elses' home
No trying to lug a heavy bag or piece of furniture from a car park far from the nearest charity shop in town , only to be frustrated when you get there to be told that they're not taking any donations that day..

harrigran Tue 22-Dec-20 12:27:17

When we sold our second home we gave all the furniture to a hospice charity shop, it was big name furniture in good condition, thousands of pounds worth. We did not even get a thank you.
Charity shops are definitely not what they were years ago.

Redhead56 Tue 22-Dec-20 13:26:19

Our local Help the aged charity shop has just reopened the ironic thing is that nothing in it is second hand. It sells everything mostly stationary and Christmas gifts nothing whatsoever pre owned.

LittleDot Tue 02-Feb-21 00:19:00

I must be snobbier than them then! I find charity shops, smelly, the clothes are ghastly and they don't suit me in terms of how they are laid out. I have found a few cute jewellery items, but I'd never wear old shoes worn by another.

mercedez Thu 04-Feb-21 10:08:19

I found the ladies serving in my local charity shop in tears as they had been told to put clothes in the rag bag if unsold within 2 weeks, they were holding up some beautiful clothes and said we can’t do it. They were further told not to have any sale rails, apparently charity shops have so much stuff this is their way of getting rid of it. Well the ladies rebelled and had a £1 sale rail which was a great success.

nanna8 Thu 04-Feb-21 10:13:41

They are not allowed to sell unwashed stuff in the op shops here. They would be closed down immediately if they did that. All electrical goods have to be checked for safety,too. They are never smelly, someone would report them to the local council if they were. Small ones seem to be better, I agree . You can get great craft items and wool for very low prices . Some of the posh areas have good designer clothes for very low prices.

Boz Thu 04-Feb-21 10:38:54

Apparently, Charity Shops have been overwhelmed with stuff during lockdown. We have all been having a clear-out. My local shop has a sign saying that can't receive any more stuff.
They are dumping grounds for a lot of people. The canny manageresses put good stuff on ebay, which is a good idea.
I like them for old china and I have a friend who is a size 8 who picks up lovely vintage items that women have kept in their wardrobes hoping to get back to that size but finally given in to middle-age spread!

Riverwalk Thu 04-Feb-21 10:48:39

harrigran

When we sold our second home we gave all the furniture to a hospice charity shop, it was big name furniture in good condition, thousands of pounds worth. We did not even get a thank you.
Charity shops are definitely not what they were years ago.

That's very annoying Harrigran.

I used to donate to Scope but the local one has closed - they somehow barcode the goods and you give your name and email when you donate. Many months later you would receive an email detailing how much your goods have raised.

It was nice to know how much your castoffs had raised!