Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be totally fed up with her?

(61 Posts)
rosequartz Sun 08-Mar-15 18:23:29

I know most people love Helen Mirren, so AIBU to be fed up with the sight of her in the adverts on GN for a certain firm?

She is gliding up and down, appearing to my right, hair coiffed, makeup perfect, looking glamorous, with an enigmatic smile playing on her perfect lips.

And no, I do not want to watch The Perfect Age Film thankyou.

Is it me? Am I unusual? Should I be looking and learning how glamorise myself? Am I at the Perfect Age? If so, where did I go wrong?

rosequartz Mon 09-Mar-15 09:50:47

Is that hair style fashionable? It makes her look older.

I am always behind stylewise so I wouldn't know.

soontobe Mon 09-Mar-15 10:56:28

I have got the Care Quality Commission advert back.
Have gransnet been reading your thread, rq? smile

Stansgran Mon 09-Mar-15 11:12:30

I thought we all looked as glam as Helen Mirren. But I just imagine what every one looks like. In fact I thought Elegran must be Helen Mirren with that name. Gillybob is bounding along like the Georgiegirl at the start of the film ,Galen is statuesque in a toga ,jinglebellrocks is really Suzie Quattro,(or is it Siouxie) anyone Welsh has a tall hat and a red cape, ninathenana is on a plinth in the acropolis as I misread her name and still do,bikergran is in Lycra zooming round the Tour de France ,Felice is a madonnaish seated figure with cherubs and bluebirds.The grans I can't picture are the ones with numbers.

loopylou Mon 09-Mar-15 11:22:58

grin
That's brilliant Stansgran!

tanith Mon 09-Mar-15 11:50:41

OK , so now she is getting on my nerves..angry

Galen Mon 09-Mar-15 11:52:50

grin

Galen Mon 09-Mar-15 11:53:57

Wouldn't know how to drape a semicircle of 7yards of cloth?hmm

rosequartz Mon 09-Mar-15 12:00:55

I got quite excited then, soontobe as I thought she had disappeared and the CQC there instead (even more depressing!)
Then she has reappeared again.

I love your visualisations, Stansgran
I notice you left me out - a bit pink and standing on a stone plinth perhaps? grin

Anya Mon 09-Mar-15 12:13:34

I've always pictured biker in leathers!

grumppa Mon 09-Mar-15 12:51:56

Until Stansgran's intervention this thread was reminding me more and more of Rossini's cat duet, rearranged for a series of solos. But then I'm a member of the Helen Mirren appreciation society. [Ducks and goes off-line.]

petallus Mon 09-Mar-15 14:01:25

I don't think the views on this thread can be put down to a gang of jealous women being catty about another woman because she is attractive to men.

No, we are too feminist for that outdated stuff on here. I preferred HM when she had a more minimalist kick-ass image, not this latest over glamorous vamp thing.

Incidentally grumppa what is it you like about HM. Is it her acting? grin

rosequartz Mon 09-Mar-15 14:16:56

Perhaps it's her new hairstyle that grumppa appreciates, petallus wink

I have never been a 'fan' but that does not mean that I didn't admire her acting skills, her attitude and seeming refusal to join in with all that sleb culture.

I am just disappointed with her and fed up with seeing the new 'glam look' every time I go on GN (and everywhere else - like a rash as DH would say).

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-Mar-15 14:18:38

you are so spot on Stansgran

I love my black leather bikini.

Jane10 Mon 09-Mar-15 14:27:37

I'm Jane10 because I'm a perfect size 10. (She says lying through her gaping black teeth grin)

Galen Mon 09-Mar-15 14:49:22

Wasn't quite how I imagined you Jingle but we live and learn!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-Mar-15 14:58:35

grin We do.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-Mar-15 15:00:57

I only get the ads on my I-pad mini. There must be a blocker on the desktop. Will try to get it removed. I like the ads.

#desperateforentertainment

Tegan Mon 09-Mar-15 15:17:37

I think I'm disappointed in her because she does look amazing for her age...but not when she starts doing the 'mutton dressed as lamb' look. And I think very few people can wear red lipstick, even when young.

FlicketyB Mon 09-Mar-15 16:45:09

Why do advertisers think that we will only respond or respond better to adverts containing only people in our own age range?

By the time you reach 50 people are so diverse in looks, shape, life-style etc etc that no advert can contains only people that age can appeal to more than 10% of that age group. And as we grower older the divergence grows.

I have never seen an advert aimed at older women where the people featured in the advert do other than alienate me because the people featured seem to be people with whom I would have nothing in common.

I am indifferent to Helen Mirren. As far as I know I have never seen her on stage or in a film although I have obviously read a lot about her in the papers.

rosequartz Mon 09-Mar-15 17:47:13

She seems to have gone!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-Mar-15 17:49:51

She'll be back.

loopylou Mon 09-Mar-15 17:55:53

Is that a threat or a promise jingl? Insider knowledge?
smile

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-Mar-15 17:58:25

No! No insider knowledge! Just past observation.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-Mar-15 17:58:48

she's up the top now!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-Mar-15 17:59:08

She was.