Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be totally fed up with her?

(60 Posts)
rosequartz Sun 08-Mar-15 18:23:29

I know most people love Helen Mirren, so AIBU to be fed up with the sight of her in the adverts on GN for a certain firm?

She is gliding up and down, appearing to my right, hair coiffed, makeup perfect, looking glamorous, with an enigmatic smile playing on her perfect lips.

And no, I do not want to watch The Perfect Age Film thankyou.

Is it me? Am I unusual? Should I be looking and learning how glamorise myself? Am I at the Perfect Age? If so, where did I go wrong?

loopylou Sun 08-Mar-15 18:27:35

Nope!
That and that hideous M&S one last year, with a number of non-names including Tracy whatsit smirking away, just makes me determined not to buy.
I'm beyond doing glamourising and as for a Perfect Age confused.....

Ana Sun 08-Mar-15 18:29:33

Oh, I don't know. I think it's marginally better than the care home ads.

merlotgran Sun 08-Mar-15 18:30:18

I haven't even noticed her.

merlotgran Sun 08-Mar-15 18:30:49

I have now grin

janeainsworth Sun 08-Mar-15 18:35:37

She gets on my nerves too Roseq but adverts are the price we pay for GN being free.

Mishap Sun 08-Mar-15 18:42:29

I haven't noticed her either!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-Mar-15 18:43:03

I'm not keen on Helen Mirren. And I wouldn't wear that bright red lipstick. And a black biker jacket just wouldn't suit me anymore, not since --my rib cage settled onto my stomach without a gap in between--I became a little short.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-Mar-15 18:44:16

sad my crossing out went wrong.

soontobe Sun 08-Mar-15 18:45:21

Virtually all adverts pass me by. Anywhere.
I did notice she was there on this one. And could probably have guessed L'Oreal if asked.
I certainly didnt know about Perfect Film, not heard of it, and wont be seeing it.

I have no idea what the perfect age is. One of those myths I suspect.

It would take much more than an advert to make me think about glamourising myself.

Grannyknot Sun 08-Mar-15 18:55:59

She's suffering somewhat from overexposure... I'm also so over her.

Tegan Sun 08-Mar-15 19:22:38

It's all air brushed anyway. Agree about the leather and red lipstick. On the subject of people being over exposed I've just remembered that Crufts is on and Clare Balding is probably presenting it [I used to like her as well till she started presenting EVERYTHING].

Deedaa Sun 08-Mar-15 21:11:32

Well I still enjoy seeing Clare presenting Crufts because she's actually interested in it. We seem to have so many programmes presented by the latest flavour of the month, despite the fact that they know nothing about the subject and couldn't care less anyway.

KatyK Sun 08-Mar-15 21:23:59

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am also fed up with feeling that I ought to look as good as Helen Mirren when I look and feel just the opposite.

soontobe Sun 08-Mar-15 22:13:47

We would all look better if we had professional hairdressers, professional make up artistes, professional stylists, professional personal shoppers, manicurists blah blah. And then airbrushed!

Ana Sun 08-Mar-15 22:18:27

Well of course! It's only an advert for cosmetics, after all.

She's been well paid for it, and at least she's over 25, which seems to be the average age for most of the models in the makeup ads on tv. Good for her, I say!

rosequartz Sun 08-Mar-15 22:20:12

Yes, the adverts pay for the site. I don't usually notice them but she glides up and down at the top of the page .....

I used to think that Helen Mirren was OK, (although I was never a fan), her own woman, strong, independent and proud to be - well, herself.
Now she seems to have succumbed to the celebrity glamour machine. I am disappointed.

petallus Sun 08-Mar-15 22:21:22

I don't like the image of HM either. It's irritating that she's so done up! I don't feel envious at all.

Ana Sun 08-Mar-15 22:22:55

She's 'done up' because she's advertising L'Oreal cosmetics. hmm

rosequartz Sun 08-Mar-15 22:35:43

Sold out to the highest bidder.
She doesn't look like HM any more
I mean Helen Mirren btw grin

Anya Sun 08-Mar-15 22:39:43

On the TV advert she looked decidedly wrinkly so wasn't impressed with the product she was advertising. Great figure though.

suzied Mon 09-Mar-15 05:17:10

I am probably the only one but I think she looks great I know it's all airbrushed, but at least she is over 30, unlike most models they use for anti ageing products.

petallus Mon 09-Mar-15 08:03:29

Ana it's the dress, the hair and the facial expression, not just the makeup.

One could be in full slap and look punky!

petallus Mon 09-Mar-15 08:05:21

She reminds me of a Typical First Lady, in particular Nancy Reagan grin

Anya Mon 09-Mar-15 08:55:21

Perhaps she's played the Queen once too often?