Gransnet forums

AIBU

to expect the Sainsbury's checkout girl

(39 Posts)
kittylester Thu 02-Apr-15 17:24:09

to look up and check that I hadn't been buried under all the blessed shopping that was hurtling down the belt rather than just rattling it through at a hundred miles an hour with her head down. angry

rosequartz Thu 02-Apr-15 17:28:49

If they do that I usually say something in admiring tones eg 'You're such a speedy worker! I used to be speedy but not so much now I'm older!'

pompa Thu 02-Apr-15 17:30:22

Yes, I think it very reasonable for the checkout person to pace themselves to you. Glad to say that my local Tesco checkout operators never do that, I would say something if they did. They always offer to pack for you. My pet hate is when they chat to their mates etc when dealing with you, I just stop packing until they pay attention again. Mrs P says I'm a miserable old git.

pompa Thu 02-Apr-15 17:31:29

BTW, I am a miserable old git

Ana Thu 02-Apr-15 17:32:47

Asda and Tesco checkout operators in my area all ask if I want any help with my packing. It seems to be part of the training to do this (as well as 'have you got enough bags?').

rosequartz Thu 02-Apr-15 17:33:22

Most of our (fairly) local checkout people are very nice and friendly and do wait for slow old people like me to catch up or offer to pack.
Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda, Waitrose, Lidl, we're not fussy where we go tbugrin
Although a friend did say that Morrison's staff were very grumpy yesterday.

Ana Thu 02-Apr-15 17:33:40

They say it to everyone, regardless of age, I should add!

NotTooOld Thu 02-Apr-15 17:40:21

The checkout people in Spanish supermarkets are a million times worse. The stuff comes hurtling towards you at 100mph and they don't wait for anything. DH and me brace ourselves for the onslaught as soon as the customer in front moves off - or before, if possible!

pompa Thu 02-Apr-15 17:42:49

Kitty, I would suggest an email to their customer care, it was not acceptable.
When our Tesco first opened many of the staff came from the local Co-op and were awful, they very quickly changed !

Juliette Thu 02-Apr-15 17:52:39

It's all about the scanning rate. Reprimanded in some stores if they don't do it quickly enough.
Tesco used to be the worst offender, then someone up high had a light bulb moment and decided that perhaps the customer was being overlooked in it all.
I used to get quite anxious trying to keep up with them and stopped going to Tesco altogether.
I did complain though, long and loud!!!

loopylou Thu 02-Apr-15 17:53:11

Don't mention Co-Op to me; local one, which unfortunately I had to use earlier today, had no checkouts open, 4 DIY tills and at least 20 people queuing while the 3 staff sat drinking coffee! Goodness knows what was going on.
The elderly customers in front of me were completely bamboozled as usually they use the checkouts, according to the gentleman in front of me, so can be helped to pack etc.

Parcs Thu 02-Apr-15 17:54:17

Kitty Ask her what charm school she went to, then tell her she should ask for her money back

Elegran Thu 02-Apr-15 18:23:37

I don't even attempt to pack as fast as they scan. The heavy tins end up on top of the peaches if you try to keep up.

I put it all straight into a trolley as it lands, and pack in peace in a quiet corner after I have paid. I prefer supermarkets with a shelf or a wide wondow ledge where I can sort things out.

kittylester Thu 02-Apr-15 18:25:35

Most of the staff in Sainsbury's are great but this is a huge new one and they have just 2 or 3 younger women in amongst all the check out operators. In fact the young men are the best, with a steady stream of banter and always being willing to help too!

It was my own fault for opting for the shortest queue! tbugrin

annodomini Thu 02-Apr-15 18:51:23

There's clearly a training issue in certain supermarkets though in my experience, the unhelpful and grumpy attitude is an exception. One thing I have noticed recently is the change in the checkout operators in Lidl who used to be unsmiling and so fast that it was hard to keep up. They are now cheerful and helpful. Charm school? Better training anyway. I agree with Elegran - pack it all into the trolley and organise your bags at a ledge - always available in Lidl. By the way, some of the worst service I have ever encountered has been in France!

AshTree Thu 02-Apr-15 19:31:38

I was buying something at PC World once and the young fellow on the till spent the entire time turned away from me, chatting to his mate at the next till (who didn't have a customer at the time). When he reached the end of the process he said, still without looking my way, "£24.99" or whatever the amount was. No please, no smile, nothing. So I did nothing. He said it again. I still did nothing. Eventually he turned to me and repeated the price a little crossly. I said, "Yes, I heard you the first time. I was waiting for you to look at me. But, it's not your fault, you probably haven't had any customer service training, so when we've finished up I'll speak to your manager and suggest he sends you on a course." All said with a bright smile, and met with confused, red-faced stammering. Haha, I do enjoy myself in shops these days - wouldn't have spoken out when I was younger tbugrin

Nelliemoser Thu 02-Apr-15 19:39:46

Ash Tree tbugrin tbugrin

absent Thu 02-Apr-15 19:42:01

Our supermarkets all have an empty trolley at the end of the check-out and the check-out people stack the shopping in there as they go. Most of them are very careful not to put heavy items on top of those that can be crushed – a few new ones are still learning. The customer's own trolley, which is then empty, is placed at the end of the check-out to be filled with the next customer's shopping. Customers wheel their trolleys to an area with a long bench where they can pack their bags or directly to their cars. Designated trolley parks in the car park are emptied frequently and the trolleys returned to the supermarket. Not only is this less stressful, but it also allows the customer to keep an eye on the prices being charged in case a mistake is made, such as confusing cheaper button mushrooms with more expensive wild ones.

jo1book Thu 02-Apr-15 19:48:48

Come on girls! You are all able to use a computer so order online and have it delivered (Waitrose are wonderful, they would put it away for you if you asked) and use the self-checkouts to go at your own pace.
I know people like the social aspect of shopping but I find it annoying and tiresome. Also, come the day you can't get out, you will find it a godsend.

NotTooOld Thu 02-Apr-15 20:29:24

My busy DD orders her shopping on line but as I have more time I like to go and choose my own stuff. In our Morrisons we sometimes have cubs or scouts packing the bags in return for a contribution to their charity or their camping trip. I never like to refuse them but I hate seeing tins of baked beans put on top of my expensive bag of cherries even though I know they mean well.

Elegran Thu 02-Apr-15 20:40:01

I wish supermarkets would have a choose-things-in-person-and-have-them-delivered service. I don't drive, but I like to shop in person. The worst part is carrying everything home. Online shopping is useful for heavier and bulkier things, but you can't beat seeing stuff for yourself.

annodomini Thu 02-Apr-15 20:44:42

Some supermarkets do advertise this service, Elegran. Perhaps not in Edinburgh! I couldn't justify ordering on line since Waitrose is my corner shop.

etheltbags1 Thu 02-Apr-15 20:50:57

I find aldi and lidl checkouts are very quick, they expect you to have shoved everything into the trolley and be off with it to the packing benches in a couple of minutes. Would not like to be disabled or old at one of their checkouts.

etheltbags1 Thu 02-Apr-15 20:52:32

My friend shops at waitrose (I cant afford to), she is disabled and they get her a chair, take her list and do her shopping then help her to put it into the car, that is really good service and she doesn't mind the slightly more expensive items.

Ana Thu 02-Apr-15 20:58:02

Iceland offer that service, Elegran, if you spend over £25! grin

I know it's not the type of supermarket that you mean, but a lot of people in my area who don't drive find it a boon.