Gransnet forums

AIBU

to expect the Sainsbury's checkout girl

(40 Posts)
kittylester Thu 02-Apr-15 17:24:09

to look up and check that I hadn't been buried under all the blessed shopping that was hurtling down the belt rather than just rattling it through at a hundred miles an hour with her head down. angry

granjo39 Thu 02-Apr-15 21:24:18

What annoys me is when they give you your change they slap a £5 note in your hand then the loose change on top plus the receipt,it is really difficult trying not to drop coins all over the floor.

NotTooOld Thu 02-Apr-15 21:38:21

granjo39, I know what you mean! And then on top of that they give you a sheaf of small pieces of paper, some telling you how much you would have spent on the same shop elsewhere, others offering you money off on your next shop or whatever. I would put everything except the receipt straight in the bin but DH likes to examine them and see if he can save a bit of cash.

jo1book Thu 02-Apr-15 22:14:14

Waitrose is not expensive unless you wish to buy expensive food. They have a cheap essential range which is good. If you don't like what they pick, you can send it back. They give me a lots of free stuff if the date is up, They give me champagne and chocolates at Christmas and a bottle of wine if they are late. I can have a free coffee if I visit the store. Their employees are a cut-above. But my main reason for giving them business is their policy of co-ownership with a yearly bonus. John Lewis also has most of my household business for the same reason.

Gracesgran Thu 02-Apr-15 22:31:58

The Co-op near my mother do that Elegran. I noticed when I popped in last time and thought how useful that must be. I must admit I order on-line and choose hand selected items from the veg and meat bit. They select them but they are not pre-packed items. The items are always of excellent so I don't worry about ordering them. I do go into town for some fresh items during the week but all this is planning for when I can't drive.

I don't find the till operators too bad kittylester; all our local supermarkets ask if you want help with your packing and I have said "yes, but give me time to pack it carefully" when I have seen one speedily and carelessly push items through for the person in front. I'm afraid I have also said no to small cubs too. I felt a bit rotten but my tomatoes were intact smile

ninathenana Thu 02-Apr-15 23:47:17

I can remember our Co- op doing that when I was a child Gracesgran I didn't realise they still did.

hondagirl Fri 03-Apr-15 11:18:09

I have just realised this is something that I forgot about happens in the UK. Here in Australia the checkout girls actually pack your shopping into bags as they scan it and then lift the bag to the end of the belt so you just need to lift into the trolley. I think we take it for granted now.

We used to live in Dubai and there would be one person taking the shopping out of the trolley and putting it on the belt and another at the other end packing it into bags. They would then carry it out to your car and pack it into the car for you. It was a shock coming back to the UK and trying to juggle shopping and two toddlers!

Anne58 Fri 03-Apr-15 11:32:44

I do like the self scan zapper thing at Waitrose. You pack it as you go so no problem with heavy things on top of "soft" items (I can't bear squished bread!)

granjura Fri 03-Apr-15 11:58:50

Here in FRance (live in Switzerland, but very close to border) they really are fast at the tills - and I just cannot cope. I've several times asked them to slow down, and they've explained that they are timed and get told off of wages docked, if they are slow. The one nearest to me (DIA, as Spanish chain) which I've stopped using for this reason- having discussed it twice with the store manager- who said instructions come from Head Office, and his job is on the block if his staff do not check out as fast.

There is no packing service and no help available at all, in any of the large stores to get stuff to the car and lifting heavy stuff (Leclerc, HyperU, Lidl, Géant, Atac, etc). The other day I bought a huge bag fo wood pellets for the cat litter- and could not lift it out of trolley and into car- I had to beg a young chap to help me in the car-park).

GrannyHaggis Fri 03-Apr-15 14:07:16

I just slow down when I'm packing the goods and they have to wait for me to put it all in bags before I then get my cards out of my bag and check what coupons I've got in there that I can use! All done with a sweet smile of course!

kittylester Fri 03-Apr-15 14:15:45

Actually, reading some of these threads made me think how things have changed. The first 'supermarket' I used for my weekly shop was really small and had very small trolleys with no child seats so I had to push the 'carrycot on wheels' with baby daughter inside, an 18 month old sitting on one of those appalling baby seats on the pram and the three year old had to be cajoled round, moaning all the while and I pulled the supermarket trolley. That was in the days when people tutted if babies cried in public - it was really stressful!!

Then it and they all had to be shoe-horned into my 2CV! tbushock I don't think I did it very many times. Then we got a Safeway - the bliss of a proper trolley, wide aisles etc etc!

rosesarered Fri 03-Apr-15 14:56:28

As others say, supermarkets abroad are not as good as here, the stuff comes rattling at you too quickly to pack, and no staff help either.
in the U.S. They often have packers at the end of the tills, and do carry outs to the car, a bit like it used to be here.Tesco ask everyone if they need help packing, but often look very put out if you say yes.I find that Waitrose is the best customer experience, although I rarely go there, and Sainsburys the next best.

Riverwalk Fri 03-Apr-15 15:03:59

Elegran Waitrose offer that service - you shop in store, they deliver.

Elegran Fri 03-Apr-15 15:16:26

All branches?

granjura Sat 04-Apr-15 09:56:06

For free? Wow- our little village supermarket will do that for the very aged and 1 handicapped lady. She phones them and tells them what she needs and they box it and drive to her- but no supermarkets.