Gransnet forums

AIBU

at wondering why parents ...

(42 Posts)
granjura Sun 12-Apr-15 22:18:38

allowed a 7 year old child to ski on his own in the Alps?

We are all experienced skiers in our family, and our GS, aged 8, is a very good skier- but never ever would be let him ski on his own? This is just so tragic and sad- and those poor parents will of course blame themselves forever. But what on earth were they thinking about?

Eloethan Mon 13-Apr-15 13:06:34

My feeling is that even if they were misguided or careless in some way, I can't see any purpose in focusing on the the parents' actions. As others have suggested, who amongst us can, hand on heart, say they have never lost concentration or made a mistake and potentially put their children's safety at risk? And, even if there was no carelessness involved, the "if only I had/hadn'ts ....." will go over and over in these poor peoples' minds, probably for the rest of their lives.

If we are upset about the tragic death of this little boy, who we didn't even know, imagine how devastated his family must feel.

Ceesnan Mon 13-Apr-15 13:11:59

To make such critical remarks before being aware of the facts certainly isn't showing much sympathy granjura. There are very few people who can honestly say thst they have never made a mistake - unless you are one if them I would think it better to say nothing until all the facts are made public.

AshTree Mon 13-Apr-15 14:09:56

We are all very willing to concede that the family made a mistake, one they will have to live with for the rest of their lives.
I wish people could also concede that perhaps granjura made a mistake with her OP. She has explained that she was basing it on the only news she'd heard at that point, the initial reports that the child was allowed to ski alone.
We're all desperately upset by this tragic accident, Granjura included. No need to keep criticising.

Stansgran Mon 13-Apr-15 14:40:10

Totally agree with you AshTree.

Leticia Mon 13-Apr-15 17:43:54

Granjura was making a very valid point.
We don't know exactly what happened but the important thing about it is that you can never let a 7 yr ski alone on a piste where you can't see them. I have been to that resort several times and have a good idea of the route he probably took. I went on my own with my 2 sons when they were about 13 and 11yrs, the elder one was a competent skier but I couldn't let him go off alone.
It was a tragic accident, no point in making the parents feel any worse than they already do but I think that granjura is getting a hard time. I am sure that we have all lost children- I had the instance ,like the one already mentioned, when my child got on an underground train and it set off before the rest of us got on- very scary - luckily someone pulled the communication cord.
The one lesson is that you have to respect the mountains, whatever you happen to be doing in them, and not let children go off alone.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 13-Apr-15 17:47:02

There is a time to make a "valid point". That's all.

Leticia Mon 13-Apr-15 18:03:13

I think that a lot of people who ski regularly are trying to make sense of how it could happen.
Not a wise thread to start, but I can see why she did, she can't undo it so it is best if we all just leave it.

petra Mon 13-Apr-15 18:04:12

Totally agree, jing.

Mishap Mon 13-Apr-15 19:03:53

A series of unexpected occurrences that led to this tragedy - as with most accidents, there is no way of knowing that this will happen, and the freak circumstances may never happen again. How sad for the family.

MargaretX Mon 13-Apr-15 19:26:56

LIke granjura I heard it a European news not BBC. They said he had asked to go down on his own and the parents said he could. He took his skis off later and then fell down from a rocky edge.

I definitely never heard of his mother attending another child. that sounds like a repeat of the accident which Michael Schumacher had, he was supposed to be attending another person so went off track.
Skiing is big business and PR will do anything to put the blame on the person rather than the fact that skiing can be dangerous.

Poor parents. Whatever the reason their grief remains the same.

NotTooOld Tue 14-Apr-15 11:37:38

Our UK newspaper said the mother was skiing with the boy and also a daughter. The daughter fell, the mother stopped to help her and the boy carried on. They surmise he went off-piste because he liked skiing amongst trees, lost his way, took off his skis and fell over a cliff.

Our UK newspaper said the mother was skiing with the boy and also a daughter. The daughter fell, the mother stopped to help her and the boy carried on. They surmise he went off-piste because he liked skiing amongst trees, lost his way, took off his skis and fell over a cliff.

confusedbeetle Mon 01-Jun-15 17:39:50

Oh please, feel for them in their grief

Ana Mon 01-Jun-15 17:48:13

I'm sure we all did at the time, confusedbeetle. Why resurrect this thread now? confused

Ariadne Mon 01-Jun-15 19:08:48

I was wondering too...