Gransnet forums

AIBU

Not to want to be blessed all the time

(131 Posts)
rosesarered Wed 22-Apr-15 21:50:15

Today, My friendly manicurist said "aww, bless"at me several times as we were chatting.Later, a shop assistant also said the same thing because I thanked her for helping me pack. I must be looking old or something.I feel bemused more than anything though, is this the latest thing that twenty-something's say to customers?

rosesarered Thu 23-Apr-15 19:26:24

The thing is, until the other day, I had never heard anyone say this at all, and then to get it two times in one day seemed strange.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Apr-15 19:28:31

I think "May God bless you and keep you" should be reserved for vicars. Or lay preachers.

The rest of us should be content with God bless.

rosesarered Thu 23-Apr-15 19:30:34

I suppose we should start worrying when the blessing comes with the laying on of hands!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Apr-15 19:30:41

shock I shouldn't have said that Baubles! Apologies to your late granny.

AshTree Thu 23-Apr-15 19:30:55

I will say 'oh bless him/her' usually about a child or maybe a family pet, but I'm quite sure I would never say it about an adult, because it does sound patronising, I feel. I use the phrase in the same way that I would say 'oh love him'. But the use of 'bless' and 'enjoy' is lazy.
Equally, I hate the way people (politicians, businessmen etc) will say something is 'key' to, e.g. success, survival etc., rather than 'the key'.
I knew someone who used to say, if there was a problem or something that needed to be attended to, 'I'll ask (x) to deal it' or 'Will you deal?', always omitting the 'with'. SO irritating. I wanted to ask her if she was playing cards.

merlotgran Thu 23-Apr-15 19:39:01

When I was a child, saying 'Goodnight' (when going to bed) was always answered with 'God Bless.'

The other day I phoned the vet to alter an appointment for our dog because I'd just noticed it clashed with DH's visit to the dentist. When she said, 'Awww, Bless' I don't know if she was referring to me, DH or the dog! hmm

Ana Thu 23-Apr-15 19:39:34

I feell the same way about 'bear with' when someone actually means 'bear with me'. Although I know at least one GN member doesn't agree with me on that...

rosesarered Thu 23-Apr-15 19:43:41

Like the woman on Miranda, who always has her phone clasped to her ear while putting up a hand and saying "bear with!" Every few seconds.Lol.

rosesarered Thu 23-Apr-15 19:45:36

Merlotgran, you have reminded me of that night-time Goodnight, God Bless
I had clean forgotten it and my Mother always used to say it to us.

Ana Thu 23-Apr-15 19:46:19

Yes, that's where my dislike of the phrase came from! grin

rosesarered Thu 23-Apr-15 19:46:58

I think as so many have tales of the Awww, bless syndrome, it must be the latest 'in' thing to say.

Ana Thu 23-Apr-15 19:47:14

(to roses)

rosesarered Thu 23-Apr-15 19:47:43

Ana, Miranda or my Mother?haha.

rosesarered Thu 23-Apr-15 19:48:07

Posted at same time.

apricot Thu 23-Apr-15 19:48:42

It annoys me when people say "Bless you!" if I sneeze. I don't actually believe my soul has left my body and I need a blessing to get it back (the supposed origin of the silly practice) How are you meant to reply?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Apr-15 19:49:23

Oh, I still say "God bless" when anyone in family says goodnight. And they say it back. That's alright.

Tegan Thu 23-Apr-15 19:49:44

My mum always said, Good night, God Bless, Sweet Dreams [and dad always referred to going upstairs as 'up the dancers'....what was that about confused?

Ana Thu 23-Apr-15 19:50:24

The first time I heard it was actually several years ago by my then neighbour (female and a lot younger than me!). She also said our pop-up gazebo was 'darling'...hmm

rosesarered Thu 23-Apr-15 19:50:25

Say thank you, or just grin and bear it, or say bear with?

Tegan Thu 23-Apr-15 19:51:08

..googled it; dancing bears = stairs [never knew that till now]

Ana Thu 23-Apr-15 19:53:06

I thought sneezing gave the devil a chance to get into your body, that's why people said 'bless you' when you sneezed.

rosesarered Thu 23-Apr-15 19:53:20

Tegan, I had forgotten about the 'up the dancers' as well, yes my Father used to say that( but not my Mother,....interesting.)Wonder where it came from, have to Goole it.

rosesarered Thu 23-Apr-15 19:53:41

Google!

Ana Thu 23-Apr-15 19:54:12

These posts are all over the place! grin

rosesarered Thu 23-Apr-15 19:55:18

We all keep on doing these x posts, I should read them first.Dancing bears,Cockney rhyming slang!