Gransnet forums

AIBU

New update on my reclusive neighbours.....

(245 Posts)
AlieOxon Mon 27-Apr-15 17:28:51

Today they set their kitchen on fire.
First I knew of it was a knock on my door from other neighbours who had already rung 999. Smoke billowing out of their front door next to mine.
There have been three fire engines, two ambulances and two police cars here all afternoon.....the man next door has gone to hospital and the paramedics spent ages I think trying to persuade the woman not to stay in the house tonight...she sat on the fire engine step for about two hours... ....but eventually she went back in.

Firemen had to check my loft for smoke. My house is smoky.
I have been staying out of it..these people are too weird for me to deal with. Not happy with this situation though.
I just went out to get an update from a fireman, and apparently various people will now be involved in the next few days and I have been asked to ring environmental health tomorrow.
Could also ring councillor who helped before!

AIBU to dread having to go on living next door to them?

AlieOxon Sun 26-Jul-15 09:47:31

My gardener and I took some of the ivy off at the end of 2013 to prevent further spread on my wall....but we couldn't reach the roof.

The council half cleared the garden of No. 16 in January 2014. Having got that far they were stopped by the occupants. But they did take the ivy off the roof and walls AND my roof.

At this point the front looked like this, the old car was removed.
NOTHING has been done since then.

AlieOxon Sun 26-Jul-15 10:13:36

Well, you did ask!

Iam64 Sun 26-Jul-15 14:42:23

I'm impressed that the council removed the ivy - i wish i could persuade them to lop the leylandi a neighbour planted along the bottom of our garden! The neighbour agreed to keep the to the height I paid for them to be cut down to, but failed to do so. It's now one of the things I pay for to avoid being in shade all the year round.

abnerbenjamin Fri 31-Jul-15 21:19:15

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

abnerbenjamin Fri 31-Jul-15 21:19:56

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Ana Fri 31-Jul-15 21:23:04

Thanks Lucifer, but I don't think I'll bother...grin

AlieOxon Sat 01-Aug-15 06:40:17

I obviously missed something.

downtoearth Sat 01-Aug-15 07:01:21

spammer trying for GN domination by flooding lots of threads with spam ALI hopng you have a peaceful day today.xxxxflowers

AlieOxon Sat 01-Aug-15 08:51:30

Thanks.....will post when any further news on neighbours....

Iam64 Sat 01-Aug-15 18:41:49

hello alie, hope your weekend is as peaceful as it can be x

AlieOxon Mon 19-Oct-15 17:26:41

New update today...... I spotted 3 men and a woman talking outside and looking at next door, and went to speak to them. That house is to be sold!
The neighbours won't be back, then...

What will I get instead, after a lot of work happens?
What could be worse?
.......noisy people could be worse.

Eloethan Mon 19-Oct-15 17:45:07

Let's just hope your new neighbours will be a lot easier to live next door to. It is the nightmare neighbours we are more likely to hear about but most people are nice so I hope you will be luckier this time.

MiniMouse Mon 19-Oct-15 17:54:19

Fingers crossed for you Alie - think positive smile

AlieOxon Mon 19-Oct-15 18:21:39

Trying to. This has not been a good day.....however friend M just rang and will do so again later, which is cheering.
Thanks folks.

MiniMouse Mon 19-Oct-15 18:54:58

M sounds like a lovely friend to have, it's so good that you have her smile

tiggypiro Mon 19-Oct-15 20:47:55

Alie it is always worrying when the house next door changes hands as sometimes it is 'better the devil we know'. My own experience after living next door to a seemingly very middle class but thieving *** has been extremely positive and my new neighbours are wonderful. I was initially a bit concerned when they had a large black dog (think constant barking) but he was a guide dog puppy and was a joy and of course being very well trained. I wish the same excellent outcome for you with your new neighbours.

Luckygirl Mon 19-Oct-15 21:29:23

I too have my fingers crossed for some nice new neighbours for you!

AlieOxon Mon 19-Oct-15 21:35:39

Thanks folks - I will try and look on the bright side! M phoned and was very supportive.

Crafting Mon 19-Oct-15 22:41:34

Alie nice to hear from you again. It's about time you had some good luck so let's hope the new neighbours are nice people. smile

M0nica Tue 20-Oct-15 09:57:03

flowers [crossed fingers)

posie Tue 20-Oct-15 10:51:31

Some good news at last for you.

I can imagine how you might see this as something else to worry about though. When you've been through a lot (as you certainly have) you do begin to wonder what else might be lurking around the corner.

It will be so nice for you when they have fixed the house though & one less thing for you to worry about. smile

friends123 Tue 20-Oct-15 18:03:57

Always ask the Fire Service for advice

AlieOxon Mon 25-Jan-16 12:05:58

Update again. The Fire Service, by the way, were the only ones to tell me anything about what was happening!

House at No 16, I learned just yesterday, has been sold and is going to be done up. This from the man who came with a machine yesterday morning and cleared the front garden completely of its new brambles.
Well that is something.
So, lots of noise and disturbance ahead.
But the company he told me, 'Pontec Holdings' doesn't seem to exist any more......or the bloke's name in charge.

They are coming back Saturday, he said, and doing the back.
NOW I am worrying about hibernating hedgehogs, who I was feeding until it got cold - and also newts in the pond next door!
Any ideas what I can do before Saturday?

Synonymous Mon 25-Jan-16 13:13:22

Hello Allie [Smile] Just found this thread and read through and wanted to say that I do hope that this year will be a much better one for you in every way.
As for the 'hibernating critters' all you can do really is to tell the contractors if you can when you see them and say that you are happy to take in any that they find - if indeed you are. If you can't manage them there are places which can and they can be found by Googling.
It is going to be a period of great activity for a while so do make sure that you get away from there regularly so that you can have some respite from it all. It will also be interesting to see what they are doing of course. Hope it is all done ad dusted before the summer and you have some really nice new neighbours.

MiniMouse Mon 25-Jan-16 14:07:33

Hello Alie I think Synonymous has said it all! If you can't escape the noise, try and think positively about it if you can - at least next door is being tidied up at last smile