Gransnet forums

AIBU

school rules gone mad

(136 Posts)
nanamacatj Sat 23-May-15 06:09:41

DD was informed by school on Thursday that they are taking legal advice over whether they should give 8yr old boy insulin injections....My 8yr old grandson was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and spent 48 hrs very poorly in hospital. Now his school are unable to have him back unless we go into school and inject him. Diabetes team have been in to do training and two members of staff are happy to administer but school administrators are being obstructive. Diabetes team say they have never experienced such an awkward school. Moving him is not an option as there are 3 other siblings who would also have to move. We are at our wits end here, any ideas anyone?

GrannyTwice Wed 27-May-15 09:08:27

Quite a lot I think now

Anya Wed 27-May-15 09:11:10

Yes, more and more are becoming academies, sadly.

Katek Wed 27-May-15 09:13:19

Thanks bags...that's clarified things. I had outlaws in the family as well-fab phrase!

thatbags Wed 27-May-15 09:14:45

smile

trisher Wed 27-May-15 09:42:42

And they are completely independent, so they have moved out from the protection that the Education authority offers because it takes responsiblity for insurance matters. If they are a very new academy they are probably running round trying to sort everything out. Yet another reason why schools should stay under LEA control.

annodomini Wed 27-May-15 10:05:17

Two of my GSs are at a primary school that's part of a group academy, comprising two primary and one secondary school. I'm not sure how satisfactory it is as it's quite new and all seems to have been arranged without any local consultation. At least when grant maintained schools (remember them?) were introduced, we had parents' ballots.

Katek Wed 27-May-15 10:13:19

In Scotland academies are senior schools operating under LA control. All our schools here in NE/Moray/Highlands tend to be called academies with only a few exceptions.

Maggiemaybe Wed 27-May-15 10:28:03

There are also some very powerful Academy Trusts now, controlling both secondary and primary schools. One at least has around 70 schools.

trisher Wed 27-May-15 10:40:47

Our local academy was looking to take over a feeder school, so the schoold have formed themselves into an association to stop this, Am I right in thinking as an academy they can refuse any child without giving a reason?

Maggiemaybe Wed 27-May-15 20:53:25

I don't know, trisher, but academies do seem to have a lot of autonomy. I think we'll regret the winding down of LEAs.