Gransnet forums

AIBU

Feeling a bit miffed..

(29 Posts)
tanith Mon 25-May-15 19:16:20

OH is retiring this week and as Friday is his last day he and about a dozen colleagues are going out to lunch together and then later in the afternoon they are having drinks and nibbles so everyone can pop in and say goodbye, he knows they have a gift for him as well..
Now why am I feeling miffed that they haven't asked me to pop in too, I do know its his big day and for him to say his goodbyes to the many friends he's made there.
So would it be the 'norm' not to invite his wife along? If its just the way its done then I won't feel 'miffed'. wink

Anya Wed 27-May-15 15:10:36

I had a retirement 'do' after work with my collegues. Never even thought about inviting DH. Then had a family and friend celebration on the Saturday night.

TriciaF Thu 28-May-15 14:27:42

Mine was at lunchtime, and husband wasn't invited as he was working.
This has made me so nostalgic, I've just found a small photo album which they made of the party.
Everyone was there, even my ex, (we worked in the same place) with the exception of my boss - quite upset about that.
But recently I've found 2 nice letters he wrote to me apologising - don't why I hadn't seen them before.
So I wouldn't worry Tanith. Maybe ask your husband if he would like you to pop in later? He probably never even thought of it.

hildajenniJ Thu 28-May-15 14:42:01

My retirement "do" was held a week after I retired. I was a night nurse, so straight after my final shift was a working day for most of my colleagues. I was invited back to the Nursing Home in an afternoon, I was presented with gifts, and we had an afternoon tea, with my colleagues and some of the more able Residents, it was lovely, but not something Mr hjj would have liked at all.