Gransnet forums

AIBU

B****y dogs

(118 Posts)
Luckygirl Sat 04-Jul-15 08:42:15

Yesterday I took my baby GS in the pushchair and my 2 year old GD for a walk. We were happily walking along a hill when a large dog belonging to my neighbour rushed round the corner and leaped at my GD. The dog put his mouth round her face - I thought he was going to bite her face - and pushed her to the ground then leaped around her barking. It was all over in a flash, and I could do nothing - if I had let go of the pushchair it would have rolled away; if I had stopped to put the brake on, it would all have happened before I could get to her. The neighbour came running when I shouted at the dog. Needless to say the dog was "just playing." Hmm.

Anya Sun 19-Jul-15 11:42:04

Luckygirl I remember you as a dog hater. And your post confirms that you have no understanding of the unique relationship that has existed for thousands of years between humans and dogs.

I'd like to hear you repeat your misinformed ramblings to shepherds, the blind, the police, mountain rescue teams, customs, etc and others who know the value of this most domesticated of all animals.

You'd get short shift from any of these.

Jane10 Sun 19-Jul-15 11:49:16

Or my cats that they're supposed to be wild things. I'd have to wake them up to tell them! But don't lets argue. Some people shouldn't have dogs as they themselves are either unable to control them or to be sufficiently social animals themselves to see that not everyone loves or even likes dogs or understand the need to keep them away from non dog lovers or small children. I think all us Grans agree on this or at least I hope they do!

Tegan Sun 19-Jul-15 12:09:20

One of the biggest disasters for dogs in general was when they started to become fashion accessories, because dogs are now bought for their looks rather than their suitablilty for the needs of that particular owner. A good dog breeder will never sell a pup to someone not suitable as an owner for that type of dog sad. I'm on my fifth dog now and must admit that I'm still learning about them [and making mistakes].

whenim64 Sun 19-Jul-15 12:10:44

I can't imagine my dog coping with outside living, let alone fending for herself if she is not fed. Wolves will hunt and use aggression to survive - my basset hound doesn't like walking in the rain and if hungry she would sit and cry plaintively till a human came along to rescue her. Her default position is domestication and dependence on humans. It would be interesting to observe domestic dogs in a wild setting to demonstrate just how different they are from wolves, dingoes, hyenas and all those wild animals that the uninformed claim domestic dogs really are. Just because they look a bit like them, doesn't mean they are the same.

Tegan Sun 19-Jul-15 12:13:34

I would imgine that [unlike cats] their first instinct would be to find other dogs and form a pack and a pecking order.

whenim64 Sun 19-Jul-15 12:27:14

Not usually, Tegan. They're more likely to be found trying to shelter and whimpering for help. Our local dog rescue (Dogs4Rescue) brings in dogs who have been hurt (shot or run over) on the streets in Romania and they are usually alone and frightened, yet will still trust humans to help them. Dogs in groups play together and enjoy a bit of rough and tumble but tend to gravitate to humans when they're in distress.

Luckygirl Sun 19-Jul-15 12:27:15

It is interesting that the farmers round here treat their dogs in a very different way from many other people - they are part of the working team, but not part of their home - they sleep outside and are got rid of when they lose their usefulness.

I do not designate the views of dog lovers as "misinformed ramblings" - but respect their views. I just do not share them; and have very good reason not to!

harrigran Sun 19-Jul-15 12:42:17

When I was young friends and family had dogs but they did not live in the house, all had kennels in the garden. Now it is usual to pamper them like babies, one neighbour would not allow her children on the cream sofa but the dogs used to lie there.
I have no problem with working dogs, they do a valuable job, but hate to see those little dogs carried around in handbags.

whenim64 Sun 19-Jul-15 12:43:31

Responsible owners of working dogs will keep them or re-home them, not kill them. The farmers in my family, and others I know, retire their dogs and care for them properly. My farmer cousin has two 14 year old collies that like to lie outdoors in the daytime and come in at night. The final useful job a working sheepdog can do is show the next pup how to do its work. How sad that uncaring people are capable of killing their dogs.

yogagran Sun 19-Jul-15 13:27:19

My working collie lived on for several years after she retired, she always lived in the house. Even when she retired she was still of the boss of the other two "pet" dogs. She was a very special dog, my constant companion and my best friend. I'm very offended that people think that working dogs are treated as commodities, they just do not understand the relationship between dog and human

Luckygirl Sun 19-Jul-15 14:04:04

You are right that I do not understand this relationship - but a lot depends on what your experiences have been. Mine have been all bad I'm sorry to say; and not getting any better!

Jane10 Sun 19-Jul-15 14:12:59

That's a pity luckygirl. I'm sorry to hear about your experience with dogs and your resultant feelings about them. You are perfectly entitled to feel like that and I don't think we can expect to change them by trotting out other peoples views on dogs. You don't like them? Fair enough!

Anya Sun 19-Jul-15 18:42:51

I can't imagine not having a dog in my life. They never judge, they are always pleased to see you and it takes so little to make them happy.

Altogether a big improvement on judgemental, miserable, demanding humans grin

Tegan Sun 19-Jul-15 19:17:47

We were in a country churchyard last week looking round and two very large labradors came bounding up to my dog who was quite terrified; the owner wasn't around but someone else who seemed to know them half heartedly called them off [they kept returning, though]. They weren't nasty dogs, but they were big and we were a bit scared ourselves. I can't imagine how I would have felt if I had a child with me and that had happened. Again it was the owner, not the dogs at fault [they were just being dogs].

NfkDumpling Sun 19-Jul-15 22:35:29

I don't think MamaCaz's neighbours are fit to live in a community with human beings by the sound of it! We live in a crowded little country so consideration is needed from everyone. Not just dog owners.

NfkDumpling Sun 19-Jul-15 22:40:31

(Sorry - just catching up - iPad got stuck on page four!)

abnerbenjamin Fri 31-Jul-15 21:31:06

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.