Gransnet forums

AIBU

To have support for hospital appointment!

(65 Posts)
hildajenniJ Sat 04-Jul-15 17:52:20

I have to have further investigations at hospital following my recent mammogram. I asked my DH to accompany me, as it is a full day affair. DH asked his manager at work for the day off. She said no, and if he took the day off it would result in disciplinary action! Is this common policy in every workplace? One of the ethical values of the Co-op is "caring for others". This does not sound very caring to me. Well, I'll just have to go by myself on the bus.

Alea Mon 06-Jul-15 17:44:19

Wishing you well for tomorrow hildajenniJ Glad your sister will be with you and fingers crossed it is nothing worse than a cyst or problem with the last image flowers

Elegran Mon 06-Jul-15 17:49:50

I was told that nine times out of ten it is a technical problem, or a "doubtful" area which turns out to be OK.

Iam64 Mon 06-Jul-15 18:33:01

best wishes hildajenniJ for the appointment. Shame on your oh's boss.

Judthepud2 Mon 06-Jul-15 19:14:12

Good luck for tomorrow Hilda and glad you will have someone with you after all. flowers

I remember very well how it felt, and was very glad of DH with me! Let us know how it goes. Rooting for you.

whenim64 Mon 06-Jul-15 19:23:03

I hope it goes well tomorrow, Hilda. That's not like the Coop to be so mean about an important health appointment. They usually take a kinder stance. It wasn't commonplace where I worked - we would have allowed the time off and if the hours were needed to be completed (usually not) they could be made up another time, or taken from leave allowance.

Katek Mon 06-Jul-15 20:55:54

Good luck Hilda-same thing happened to me and when I got there they couldn't find anything at all! It had been a fluid filled cyst which the mammogram procedure itself had popped. Glad you have your sister though smile

loopylou Mon 06-Jul-15 20:59:36

I'll be thinking of you Hildaj, fingers crossed and good luck x

etheltbags1 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:00:52

hildaJ good luck with your appointment, I am thinking about you its not long since I went for the appointment that changed my life. I hope all is well for you though. flowers.

Luckygirl Mon 06-Jul-15 21:49:13

Good luck - I am so glad that your sister is able to be with you.

Lona Mon 06-Jul-15 22:37:58

Best wishes for tomorrow Hilda, I'm glad you aren't going alone.

hildajenniJ Tue 07-Jul-15 07:23:38

I am all ready to go. The bus departs at 08.10. My appointment is at 11.15. I will have a couple of hours to mooch around the shops, and get a coffee. I am not as worried as I thought I would be. My DD thinks all will be well, and she often has a sixth sense about these things. I will give you all an update later.
Thank you all for the good wishes.

annsixty Tue 07-Jul-15 07:39:12

I also have a hospital appt this morning so I will be thinking of you hilda I have been where you are and know the feeling well. My own is only for confirmation of a diagnosis and sorting out treatment so no butterflies .

absent Tue 07-Jul-15 07:41:30

Fingers crossed for good news hildajenniJ. At least you wont be alone on the bus after a barium enema. It truly doesn't bear thinking about. grin

Liz46 Tue 07-Jul-15 08:23:34

Oh dear, absent!

hildajenniJ Tue 07-Jul-15 16:58:03

Hooray! All is well. I had a cyst which was aspirated, then had a mammogram to make sure it had gone, and I was free to go. My sister and I went for lunch, had a look round the Laing Art Gallery and then I got the train home. I decided the train was more convenient. So all in all, I had a lovely day!

Margsus Tue 07-Jul-15 17:11:10

So very pleased for you! You must feel like a load has been lifted

annsixty Tue 07-Jul-15 17:12:31

Oh what good news hilda flowers

dustyangel Tue 07-Jul-15 17:20:27

That's great hilda really pleased for you. smileflowers

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 07-Jul-15 17:29:03

Very good news Hilda. Glad it all turned out well. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 07-Jul-15 17:29:36

(mean old Co-op) hmm

Judthepud2 Tue 07-Jul-15 17:29:46

Hilda so pleased for you that the outcome is good. Now you can get on and enjoy life! sunshine

Alea Tue 07-Jul-15 17:37:47

Result!!
I am so happy for you -we have all "been there" and appreciate what you were going through. But lovely to have company for a celebratory lunch! smile

TriciaF Tue 07-Jul-15 18:01:14

What a relief! Glad all is ok.
I've been in the Laing Art gallery a few times, how I miss Newcastle!

whenim64 Tue 07-Jul-15 18:29:20

Very happy for you, Hilda! smile

hildajenniJ Tue 07-Jul-15 18:57:22

Taking the DGC on holiday on Sunday, I'm so glad I don't have anything nasty hanging over my head. I'll be able to enjoy runningshock about with them!!!
I love Newcastle, the nearer I get to the east coast, the more I feel that I am going home, although I was born in Cumberland.