Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think shops should stock what customers want!

(41 Posts)
TwiceAsNice Wed 08-Jul-15 17:55:56

I have been buying things from a well known store for my bathroom. I chose towels in 2 coordinating colours and bought one set of bath mats. I then decided a little while later I would buy more bath mats in the other colour so I could put out clean mats again without having to rush to wash and dry them. I then discovered they were out of stock. I kept going on line to check availability and discovered they had been removed from the list of available colours. I emailed them with a product query and was told yes the colour had been VERY popular so much so they had run out but they weren't going to reorder even though many people had bought them as they liked to change things regularly. AIBU to think this is ridiculous business sense, why would you stop stocking something loads of people still want to buy! I'm really cross that I can't match what I want.

Alea Wed 08-Jul-15 18:13:43

It is farcical isn't it? They would presumably like you to re equip fully - lots of new towels, bath mats etc etc. typical. angry

Envious Wed 08-Jul-15 18:15:28

Maybe to sell the less popular colors? confused

Tegan Wed 08-Jul-15 18:16:58

Spent ages in M&S yesterday trying on jeans; eventually found some that fit me except I needed 'short' in that size/style and they didn't have any. Was told I would have to order them via the internet [although they could do that for me] but that, when Per Una stock was gone it was gone. I said that I didn't think I was an unusual shape/size but that M&S never seemed to have what I needed in stock, and that I'd prefer to try them on in store as length size seems to vary and I didn't want the bother of having to return them if they didn't fit. I also overheard some staff talking the other week about how understaffed they were [something I'd been told at a branch in another town]. I've heard that their sales are down again. You'd think they'd get the message. I did find some suitable jeans in the end; John Rocha in Debenhams. I'll be going there in future.

vampirequeen Wed 08-Jul-15 18:22:17

It's so you have to restock all over again.

rosesarered Wed 08-Jul-15 18:24:39

With M&S you would think by now that they knew there are always tons of size 10 things left over and also long and medium lengths, but that larger sizes ie over 12 all vanished quickly and so did short lengths. we are a nation of short arses ( women our age) but that fact has passed them by!

rosesarered Wed 08-Jul-15 18:26:22

Regarding your problem Twice as Nice, it is typical that firms do this, and do it rather smugly usually.The demand is there so......... Let's not do it anymore.A stinging letter or email to the company HQ is in order.

hildajenniJ Wed 08-Jul-15 18:54:45

My grandson starts school this autumn. He is mad about fire engines. Cath Kidston had some lovely fire engine pencil cases last year. They no longer stock them as they have changed the range to sports related patterns. When I asked about them in store the assistant told me that the fire engine range had been really popular, and sold out quickly, but as has been stated above about bathroom accessories, they like to change the range to keep things fresh. I cannot find another pencil case with fire engines on it, only cartoon fire trucks from USA.

Jane10 Wed 08-Jul-15 19:24:05

What!! M&S never have the long lengths I want. Its always full of short trousers. We must compare notes and go to each other's branches rosesared!

rosesarered Wed 08-Jul-15 20:58:19

grin

rosesarered Wed 08-Jul-15 20:59:03

Hope you are not up in Scotland?

Ana Wed 08-Jul-15 21:10:44

I agree Jane10! I am not a short-arse either, and whenever I visit my local M&S in search of trousers or jeans the 'long' lengths are in very short supply, and nearly never available in my size!

I buy most of my M&S stuff online now, although even then it's not guaranteed that they've got what I want in stock.

Elegran Wed 08-Jul-15 21:22:43

It must take careful planning to send all the long ones to where the short people live, and the short ones to where the tall people are.

Ana Wed 08-Jul-15 21:25:44

But they manage it so well that their sales are falling drastically!

It must be a cunning plan...grin

rosesarered Wed 08-Jul-15 21:26:34

Just what I was thinking Elegran, it's a fiendish plot ( could the M&S Boss be a Tory? it would be just like them to deny working people their correct sizes.)

Elegran Wed 08-Jul-15 21:36:56

grin

Jane10 Wed 08-Jul-15 21:54:44

Ooh roses- you are awful (but I like you!)

TwiceAsNice Wed 08-Jul-15 22:42:05

I wonder when or if they,ll ever get the message the customer is in the right. I'm glad in a way other people are finding them difficult its obviously not just me. It's crazy I would have bought far more if I'd been able too, they deserve to be down on their profits they just aren't listening are they?

TwiceAsNice Wed 08-Jul-15 22:45:28

I actually sent a second email rosesarered telling them I was very annoyed and where was their business sense. Funnily enough I never got an answer to that question!

Anya Wed 08-Jul-15 22:58:12

But what's even more annoying (and both M&S and Next are guilty of this) when after chasing round their websites, deciding on the size, style, colour, etc you want and sending it to your 'basket' is when you get to checkout, the item which was previously 'in stock' is suddenly 'out of stock'

Grrrrr...

Purpledaffodil Wed 08-Jul-15 23:02:59

Went to M and S in Kingston today and the sale stock seemed to consist entirely of sizes 6 and 22. Trousers were all short. Does this mean that Surrey is full of tall medium width women? Or are M and S just out to get me? grin

harrigran Wed 08-Jul-15 23:23:45

If I have a gripe with M&S I usually voice it on their FB page, boy does it get a fast reply grin

Jane10 Thu 09-Jul-15 08:14:04

Interesting Harrigran might give that a go!

pompa Thu 09-Jul-15 09:06:48

Companies purchase many items (like towels) as a large single order from a manufacturer. They may order many 10s of thousands to get a competitive price, once that stock is gone, it's gone. To continue to supply the items would mean another large order, they would have to be certain of selling the item. Also when dyes etc are involved, colour matching another batch is a lottery (hence codes on wall paper etc). Have you noticed how often companies like Nikon, Canon etc update their cameras etc ?. They plan for a set production run and once that number has been sold they re-tool and update the product regardless of it's current popularity.
This is how we get many products at low prices, if you want continuity you may have to pay for the privilege and purchase high end branded products, even then I doubt the same product will be available in a years time.
We buy only white crockery now (someone keeps breaking them), but even then we can see mismatches in colour in apparently identical items.

rosesarered Thu 09-Jul-15 09:19:11

Is it you that breaks crockery in our house too Pompa?Because it sure isn't me and Mr Roses denies all knowledge of it.grin