Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think shops should stock what customers want!

(42 Posts)
TwiceAsNice Wed 08-Jul-15 17:55:56

I have been buying things from a well known store for my bathroom. I chose towels in 2 coordinating colours and bought one set of bath mats. I then decided a little while later I would buy more bath mats in the other colour so I could put out clean mats again without having to rush to wash and dry them. I then discovered they were out of stock. I kept going on line to check availability and discovered they had been removed from the list of available colours. I emailed them with a product query and was told yes the colour had been VERY popular so much so they had run out but they weren't going to reorder even though many people had bought them as they liked to change things regularly. AIBU to think this is ridiculous business sense, why would you stop stocking something loads of people still want to buy! I'm really cross that I can't match what I want.

Anne58 Thu 09-Jul-15 09:35:50

harrigran I use Facebook to contact various companies, M&S included.

If you go to the companies own website and use the "contact us" facility, comments/complaints etc are only seen by staff, but put it on facebook and the whole world can see it!

I have also used Facebook to praise products or good customer service. Sometimes I have received a voucher to use on my next purchase! wink

rosesarered Thu 09-Jul-15 10:08:07

Top tip, Phoenix!

Alea Thu 09-Jul-15 11:07:48

But wouldn't it make you feel good if "voting with our feet" made the retailers shake in their shoes the slightest difference? I am reminded of Audrey fforbes -Hamilton sweeping out of her local Spar (where she hadn't paid her bill anyway.

Charleygirl Thu 09-Jul-15 13:41:17

I also only shop on line nowdays for M&S trousers and you have guessed it, I also take a long size. The few times I have popped in to my local there has either been none or short sizes.

Bras are another minefield so again I am shopping on line or buying elsewhere. I am not a size 32AA or a 46DD, so it is easier for somebody else to find what I want.

They are not much better with food. I like the jars of coffee they sell so when I go to my local Food Store, if they have any on the shelf, I empty it.

Ana Thu 09-Jul-15 13:50:49

Oh yes, M&S bras! angry

They used to stock a good selection of 34DD total support bras, but now there's only one which meets my requirements and it isn't particularly attractive...

soontobe Thu 09-Jul-15 15:03:21

Ah, that makes sense pompa.

TwiceAsNice Thu 09-Jul-15 18:08:16

It might makes sense Pompa but it doesn't make it any better does it? I still can't get my bath mats, oh well back to washing and drying them in one day. Thanks for all your comments it's amusing to see others have been cross with various aspects of M&S as well.

pompa Thu 09-Jul-15 18:18:34

I didn't suggest it made it better, it's just the reason why it's that way.
I suspect a lot of reduced and sale items are to get rid of the end of stock lines that will not be repeated. I never have a problem, I have zero colour co-ordination.

rosesarered Thu 09-Jul-15 20:00:58

Pompa, are you one of those men who look as if they have got dressed in the dark?grin

pompa Thu 09-Jul-15 20:17:22

Pot luck is my style, actually managed to match a yellow shirt with a yellow jumper yesterday, but I was trying hard to impress Pitcity.

annodomini Thu 09-Jul-15 20:40:17

One of my DGSs is partially colour blind, so I look forward with some interest to what will happen when he is allowed to choose his own clothes. It won't be long now as he is 10 next month.
My ex brother-in-law was totally colour-blind and this resulted in some strange choices of socks and ties.

Pippa000 Fri 10-Jul-15 10:24:18

My grip with M&S is that the same style and size may have a different fit when it is in a different colour. And I bought two packets of their knickers (5 in a packet) same size according to the labelon the packet and inside the garments but one set of five is deffinatly a size smaller

rubylady Sat 11-Jul-15 00:55:59

Hilda I don't know if anyone else has said but on both Amazon and Ebay there are pencil cases with fire engines on which can be personalised. smile

rubylady Sat 11-Jul-15 01:51:11

Hilda On Penny Royal website, there are a few Cath Kidston fire engine supplies. Not the one you wanted but they do do a pencil holder tin, and a rubber and pencil sharpener, all in the fire engine design.

Let me know if they are any good or if not, I will try to look harder for you for the right thing. I like to help out if I can. smile

Liz46 Sat 11-Jul-15 05:22:05

I know the thread has been about clothes but may I add food please? I used to buy chicken breasts on the bone from A... They didn't always have them in stock so, when they were, I used to buy them up and freeze them. I don't like chicken legs so this suited me fine. All I can find now is chicken fillets and they won't roast properly. Am I on my own here or does anyone agree? Can anyone tell me if there is a supermarket that stocks them please?

abnerbenjamin Fri 31-Jul-15 21:39:24

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.