Gransnet forums



(26 Posts)
Coolgran65 Mon 03-Aug-15 03:05:37

The bungalow facing us is rented out and the present tenant is a mother with two teenage daughters. There was a DH appears to have left but calls to take dds for overnights. .mother is not friendly, no acknowledgement when coming and going.

On occasions, about once a month there is a lot of noise, loud music, people arriving at the door bang bang knocking till there is a reply.

Tonight it is nearly 3am and we have really loud music blasting. I am so angry and really want to go to the door to complain. Other neighbours have commented following previous musical occasions but no one has yet approached her. DH says we don't go to the door because we don't know what type of person/company we'd be dealing with. (I.e. our Windows smashed some time. confused )

There was a time one could have called the police but nowadays it seems petty considering how few police are available and the likelihood that there's only one patrol car covering a 50 mile area.

I could approach the tenant tomorrow regarding this.....but still don't know how amenable / cooperative they mums May or not be.

There are 10 properties in our quiet little cul-de-sac mostly older folks in their 50s, 60s, 70s.

What would you do?

annsixty Mon 03-Aug-15 06:36:36

First of all I will say how awful it must be for you, living with it and all of you hesitating to complain. We all feel very vulnerable as we get older. Do you know who owns the house or who the Letting Agents are? That would be a first step if you can complain to them. Then you could try Environmental Health at your local council although I think they might want you to speak to the neighbours first and you may need support from the other people in the cul-de-sac. Good luck.

absent Mon 03-Aug-15 06:39:43

There used to be environmental officers whose responsibilities included noise pollution. I remember calling them when a very loud week-day "party" was happening next door with people spillage out at both the back and front of the house into the early hours of the morning. I was somewhat put out when it was clear that a couple was copulating with noisy screams in the garden next door – my school-age daughter was trying to sleep in a bedroom at the back of the house. I sent the dog out into my garden, saying, "See it off Max, see it off". He had no idea what he was seeing off but, boy, did he bark. The environmental officer nearly choked with laughter.

kittylester Mon 03-Aug-15 07:04:37

At that time you could call the police and see if you got a response, which might happen if they are not busy. Environmental health weren't much use when we complained.

Marelli Mon 03-Aug-15 07:12:07

I'd also try to contact the agent who lets the property, coolgran. If no luck there, you could contact your local police station and see if they have a Community Policeman who might be able to help you. Try not to feel intimidated by this. Good luck. smile

whitewave Mon 03-Aug-15 07:20:31

You need to keep a diary as evidence as once or twice doesn't count but constant noise must constitute a nuisance I would have thought.

soontobe Mon 03-Aug-15 07:30:46

Have you spolken to the other neighbours?

I would have thought that you would get further if there were a number of you who are upset by it.

Anya Mon 03-Aug-15 07:42:14

Lots of good advice above.

Keep a diary.

Talk to the other neighbours and see if any of them will back you and do the same.

Find our the name of the letting agency and ask them how long the lease runs. Explain your issue to them. Next time it happens ring again to check they have kept a record of your complaint.

After the third recorded incident report to council.

Finally throw a part yourself the night before daughters go back to school. Invite all the other neighbours and make sure it is very noisy and goes on until the early hours.

Nelliemoser Mon 03-Aug-15 08:17:32

You need to see how often this occurs sometime even sensible teenagers can get very out of hand.

If it continues, talk to the landlord and in particular the local Police community support officer. That sort of issue is what they should deal with.

Nelliemoser Mon 03-Aug-15 08:18:42

Oops! Clumsy sounding grammar there NellieM

glammanana Mon 03-Aug-15 08:27:21

Coolgran Your problem sounds somewhat identical to one we have also with a rented property and surrounded by older owners,we have a woman with 4 children who on a regular basis rows with her previous partners for hours at a time on her driveway using the most disgusting expletives,it is very upsetting for the neighbours and their visiting grandchildren to have to listen to this,what they did was complained en-mass to the Agent who let the property and told them they where not prepared to put up with the disturbance and things have been quiet for a few weeks now.
Best of luck and approach this lady with other neighbours not on your own.

Luckygirl Mon 03-Aug-15 09:52:53

That would drive me totally NUTS! I really do feel for you.

KatyK Mon 03-Aug-15 10:19:43

We had a similar situation a few years ago. We contacted our local councillor who found out who the landlord was. He was given a warning and we had no further problems. I realise it's not always easy.

Coolgran65 Mon 03-Aug-15 12:36:39

I know who the landlord used to be and assume it is still his. Thought about that and may contact him

Only spoken about it to my direct next door neighbour who would never ever speak up.

There have been about 3 previous instances, actual dates uncertain. A diary could start with '3 unrecorded dates' previous to today's date.

It seems these noisy nights may be when teenagers are with dad. It looks like mum is the noisy one.

I'll give it one more chance, next time I will ring landlord.
And if it continues I'll ring landlord again and police......there will then be 3 undated and 3 dated.

Thanks for opinions because I was going to go over today and speak 'nicely' to the tenant. Will wait until I've some recorded dates.
And if a really noisy night I'll ring police at the time.

numberplease Mon 03-Aug-15 15:17:58

As well as the landlord, do as advised by others and call the letting agent, if there is one. We did a few years ago about the noisy tenants next door. It didn`t stop completely, but it was quiet for a few weeks, when it started up again, we complained again, this went on until they moved out.

Deedaa Mon 03-Aug-15 16:51:00

The letting agent and the landlord are the way to go. It worked for DD when she had problems.

Coolgran65 Mon 03-Aug-15 18:06:06

Thank you. Will let you know what happens.

Joan Tue 04-Aug-15 06:46:06

If the landlord doesn't cooperate, ring him at his home when the noise is bad at around 3am. We've done that in the past.

Once we did noise for noise - they were blaring out horrible so-called music, so we drowned it out with the 1812th. Some people feel very threatened by classical music. This is Australia though.

These days we have quiet neighbours - phew!!!

tigger Tue 04-Aug-15 15:16:38

Also Environmental Health is the way to go some areas have duty on call officers who will act on your behalf.

ajanela Wed 05-Aug-15 16:09:53

If no one has spoken to the woman how does she know there is a problem. She is not aware she is upsetting people. In fact by not saying anything you are giving her the impression everything is ok

You say there is no acknowledgement from this woman but this could be because she is feeling very insecure and does not know how to behave in this neighbourhood. Trying saying good morning etc with a big smile then she can't say you are a stuck up lot.

If you don't feel able to speak to her how about a polite note in her letterbox asking if she realised that her party last night was disturbing the neighbours. Then you can say you had told her. How would you feel if the first complaint from your neighbours came via the Police or Environmental health knocking on your door.

If it the continues or she becomes abusive then I feel you should take further action starting with the landlord.

Coolgran65 Wed 05-Aug-15 16:56:03

I am a friendly person, as are the other residents. Many times I've done the smiling and waving bit - and received not a flicker in response.
Working in the garden I've waved as her car came to a standstill to turn into the drive, 6' from me - nothing back.
Our two cars have met in our very short cul de sac where we must practically stop to carefully pass each other. I've turned my head and smiled......nothing, eyes were totally straight ahead. Impressions can be misleading but she does not look to be an insecure person......of course, how can I tell.

Since moving in about 6 months ago, the side door window glass has been broken and boarded up. As has the side glass panel at the front door.

There is no way that the behaviour/noise could be considered by her to be acceptable in the early hours. Every other house was in darkness, her windows all open, on previous occasions her guests drifting outdoors singing.

There was no letting agent board, and the number I have for who I believe to be the landlord is now not recognized.

I've considered putting a note through the letterbox, manners would dictate that I sign it. The unfriendly and disrespectful attitude that I believe exists makes me reluctant to do this.

The matter will rest as it is and if there is a further incident then we shall think further taking note of all of your suggestions. Thanks GNers smile

Venus Wed 05-Aug-15 17:01:52

We called the evironmental noise people when there was loud music and they went round to the neighbour across from our garden. The people who live there always say that it's a birthday party. They seem to have a great many birthday parties! When we have been round to see them about the noise, I enquired if their immediate neighbours have complained. The man of the house replied that he always invites them, so there are no complaints!!!

It's a difficult problem that happens every summer, and there doesn't seem much we can do about it.

ajanela Wed 05-Aug-15 17:54:19

Well sounds like you are doing your best and you will need a 3rd party to intervene. But she will say - no one complained to me. We have never had any complaints before,

For her this is normal behaviour. What you think of as normal consideration for your neighbours she doesn't even think about as long as she can get away with it.

Rather ironic that she has 2 teenage daughters and it is the mother that is the problem.

Have you tried looking on the Internet to see if the house has been sold recently and then you could see if it is the same owner.

Sorry if I sounded critical but you have now given us a better picture of the situation.

Good Luck.

Worthit Wed 05-Aug-15 23:38:39

I have been reporting a nasty neighbour for a long time to both Police and Local Council. All I get in return pat answers of 'insufficient evidence'. If a thug antagonises you for his weird sense of 'fun' what can you do about it when it is orchestrated so as to avoid others seeing it?

Sugarpufffairy Sat 08-Aug-15 13:13:22

There may be a reason for why the woman is acting in this way. I do not give any indication of noticing my neighbours. There is a reason for this and I am concerned that when I move on will I act in a normal manner with new neighbours. I had what I consider normal neighbours where I lived before. People chat when the met and hold keys for each other all sorts of normal nwighbourly things. Where I am now ther were questions about what I was doing with the house from the moment it became mine. There were so many questions but never a "how are you" always what are you doing with the house. Even now 3 years later every time I go in or out or a visitor arrives or departs the neighbours suddenly have a need to cross the road or post a letter! Will I be a normal neighbour after living with this carry on. Incidentally I had a neighbour in the last house, a single parent with 6 kids and multiple fathers to the kids yet she is one of the kindest persons I know.
Why not try to talk to the woman, maybe she is shy or scared or had a bad experience. You will never know otherwise