Gransnet forums

AIBU

How very rude!

(31 Posts)
Anne58 Wed 05-Aug-15 10:42:55

Good morning all,

I was looking forward to having 2 friends round for supper last night, they have both been round separately a fair few times, (C more than T) but I thought it might be jolly to have them together (they know each other and get on fine)

I had been trying to find a day that suited everyone for ages, so quite a few weeks ago I suggested Tuesday August 4th, and said in the email that it was my birthday and although birthdays are no great shakes these days, it would be nice to have their company as Mr P would be away.

All was set, very minimum effort food as mentioned elsewhere, but I had made sure that everyones taste was catered for, and that as T would be driving, I got in a choice of "posh pop" for her. C arrived first, with a bottle of wine (she always brings one) a card and some flowers, which was a lovely thought smile. T arrived 5 minutes later with nothing. Please don't think that I was expecting anything, but I would always take a bottle of some sort if invited for a meal. (Not breakfast, obviouslygrin, although I suppose one could have Buck's Fizz.......)

Now T had already said that she was having problems with her youngest daughter, and might have to dash off, which I understood. What I wasn't so understanding about was the fact that her phone was immediately placed on the table where it remained all evening, and was frequently made a range of noises as she received texts etc from various family members, including soon to be exdh and her new "chap" in America. She read each one out loud. Now, although it was nice to know that her older daughter had loaded the dishwasher and bought a packet of hair dye for T, I wasn't entirely sure that we needed to know that exdh was thinking of breaking up with current gf. I was however definitely certain that we did NOT either want or need to know what the new man thought of her and what he intended to do when they meet up for a 5 day break in London later in the month!

I don't think I will be inviting her again for the best part of a long time!

Granne72 Sun 09-Aug-15 18:50:26

Using a mobile phone in company says the person on the other end is more important than the one you are with .
Get one of those glass cheese domes and say all phones at the table have to remain under it whilst eating !! Behave like a teenager= be treated like one.

yogagran Mon 10-Aug-15 14:05:33

I heard of a good idea recently. Everyone had to put their phone in the same place, on the table or somewhere else, but on silent, and the first one to touch their phone also paid the bill

Greenfinch Mon 10-Aug-15 14:14:59

Pathetically childish. If anyone asked me to do this I would be insulted .

MiniMouse Mon 10-Aug-15 14:24:57

Greenfinch What would you do then if you were at the table and your friends were constantly looking at, or answering their mobiles and ignoring you?

Greenfinch Mon 10-Aug-15 14:32:26

Hypothetical as I can't see that any of my family or friends would be so rude.

I think I might say "Was that an important call ?"

Or I might just put up with it and cross them off my list of friends for future social gatheirngs