Gransnet forums

AIBU

I'm going in the garden to eat worms!

(45 Posts)
Anya Wed 19-Aug-15 11:13:49

Or, to be more accurate, I'm sulking up in the bedroom with a major head injury.

Last week DH had a stomach upset. Yesterday his heel hurt. On both occasions I was concerned, even solicitous, murmured words of comfort and dished out pills and helpful advice.

Today, when pruning in the front garden, I straightened up suddenly to listen to some rubbish words of wisdom DH wished to impart about this art of pruning (of which he knows zero) and thwacked the top of my head straight into a sharp branch. I naturally let out a yell, and clutching the top of my head, stumbled through the back gate into the kitchen where I could suffer not in silence. Didn't think it would be very dignified to roll about moaning in pain on the front lawn - the neighbours wouldn't like it.

BUT I did expect DH to follow me inside and, even if he (as a man) is incapable of administering any kind of real support, possibly ask 'is something wrong?'

Nothing! Zilch! Nada!

Men!

Anne58 Wed 19-Aug-15 11:17:57

Oh Anya I think that counts as adding insult to injury! flowers brew cupcake

Katek Wed 19-Aug-15 11:19:20

Oh dear....I have one pretty much the same. His line is "you'll be fine!" I know I will - it's just now that's bothering me.

Hope your head is feeling much better - hugs and flowers

Ana Wed 19-Aug-15 11:32:11

Wrap a great big bandage round your head and see if he says anything!

Hope you're feeling back to normal now, Anya smile

Nonnie Wed 19-Aug-15 11:37:16

Men! Mine yells at almost nothing and I rush to him from wherever I am to check he is fine and then discover it was something he read on Internet! I fell off a ladder and what did he do? You've got it!

I do hope you are OK. flowers

Indinana Wed 19-Aug-15 11:41:27

I have one like that too. Soon after we were married I was doing something in the kitchen and hurt my thumb - enough to make me cry out. DH was in the adjoining room, with door open, only about 5 metres away. I waited for him to rush in and administer sympathy and concern. Nothing. Not even an unconcerned "are you OK?" called out from his armchair. In my naïveté I thought he hadn't heard me, so I went in to show him my poor thumb, asking if he had heard my cries? "Yes I did, but as you didn't say anything else I knew you must be all right." Could have been out stone cold on the floor confused

Indinana Wed 19-Aug-15 11:44:44

Oh and sorry, meant to say hope you're ok flowers

KatyK Wed 19-Aug-15 14:37:35

Ouch. I hope you are OK Anya. If I have an ailment my DH says one of three things:

'You have to expect things when you get to our age'
'Go to the doctors then' or
'Oh I get that too'

confused

vampirequeen Wed 19-Aug-15 14:37:43

He'll think because you managed to get to the kitchen you'll be OK so won't need looking after.

Anya Wed 19-Aug-15 15:10:15

Thanks for your sympathy and flowers smile

My head is still tender and there's a big lump there. If he wasn't such a clumsy b****r I'd ask him to check if it's cut. I like the bandage idea, if only I had one in the first aid kit. Don't think a plaster would have the same impact and then again I'd be pulling hair out! Ouch!

Greyduster Wed 19-Aug-15 15:37:35

If you find any worms my GS wants some to go fishing! I have just spent six weeks getting DH over surgery, the first two weeks of which he could hardly move. Every time is heard him stir, groan, squeak, I was there. He is now almost back to whatever serves as normal, so last week, when I managed to fall down the last three stairs (no I don't know how either!) and sat groaning at the bottom because I thought I'd broken one of my toes...... He didn't even poke his head round the landing to see what was going on. It took him an hour to notice I was limping! When it went black and swelled up he actually said "Hm that looks nasty!" And walked away.

rosesarered Wed 19-Aug-15 15:47:37

Sympathy Anya,
Some men need a clout around the head with a sharp branch themselves!
They do make such a fuss when they hurt themselves of course.I reccommend the huge bandage as well, or at least vinegar and brown paper
And a sad expression.cupcake brew

Anya Wed 19-Aug-15 16:10:09

Now a word of advice ladies. Love the tea and cake, but what about the red, falling-down juice? Is it a) too early and b) safe to participate in a preprandial glass in my weakened condition?

Ana Wed 19-Aug-15 16:12:15

It's perfectly safe as long as you're sitting down, Anya grin

Cheers!

wine

Nonnie Wed 19-Aug-15 16:45:01

Anya firstly you must be very badly hurt if it didn't occur to you at the time that you needed a medicinal nip and secondly the sun is over the yardarm somewhere. Go girl wine wine wine

Luckygirl Wed 19-Aug-15 17:40:22

Try being married to a doctor! When we first married, every time I had anything wrong he would say "Oh I haven't done that bit yet", then it was "I don't have time to look at it" and now it is "I've forgotten about that bit" !

You have to be dying before a medical spouse has any interest at all. When DD at age 11 had very bad glandular fever and a huge spleen, he said it was just a cold - it was ME who made the right diagnosis!

Anya Wed 19-Aug-15 22:44:47

I've taken your advice and had a couple of purely medicinal wine wine and as I explained to a bewildered DH I wasn't allowed to get up and get them myself as I'd been advised to stay seated.

That was also the reason he had to cook dinner.

Revenge of the GNetters?

Notso Wed 19-Aug-15 22:53:46

I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect that your head injury may result in delayed syptoms which become apparent at what ever time tomorrow morning you would usually be up and getting on with things. smile

Notso Wed 19-Aug-15 22:55:16

Symptoms

Anya Thu 20-Aug-15 07:10:42

Great minds Notso I'm usually the first up, let the chucks out and bring DH a cup of tea in bed, but 'Notso' today!

rosesarered Thu 20-Aug-15 10:23:45

I would give it a week, just to be on the safe side Anya.grin

Grannyeggs Thu 20-Aug-15 11:10:23

In fact, you could just lie there moaning "where's my tea" every few minutes.

TriciaF Thu 20-Aug-15 11:29:51

My husband is the same, I don't think they can empathise like us sensitive females! Maybe some exceptions.
The worst I had was when we were trying to trap a fleeing duck, he had a large sort of butterfly net and brought it down onto the bird, but my head was in the way. As I was taking Plavix at the time it immediately came up in a huge red bump. He did say sorry, and caught the duck.
On the other hand when I was in hospital he visited regularly - some men won't go near a hospital.

downtoearth Thu 20-Aug-15 11:42:54

A bump on the head has been known to cause amnesia,so much that you forget you are a mature married woman....fling some clothes in a backpack and announce that you are going backpacking for a year,you can say that you are sure you have met somewhere before...not sure where,and you may give him a call if gives you his number on your return....then book into a luxury hotel for a few days until you have a miraculous recovery and are ready to remember who he is grin.

My OH is of the one upmanship sort anyone thing I get he has with with whistles and bells and something else as well ..I normally suffer in silence,grin

downtoearth Thu 20-Aug-15 11:50:25

Hope you recovering with the aid of the red juicewine