Gransnet forums

AIBU

I'm going in the garden to eat worms!

(46 Posts)
Anya Wed 19-Aug-15 11:13:49

Or, to be more accurate, I'm sulking up in the bedroom with a major head injury.

Last week DH had a stomach upset. Yesterday his heel hurt. On both occasions I was concerned, even solicitous, murmured words of comfort and dished out pills and helpful advice.

Today, when pruning in the front garden, I straightened up suddenly to listen to some rubbish words of wisdom DH wished to impart about this art of pruning (of which he knows zero) and thwacked the top of my head straight into a sharp branch. I naturally let out a yell, and clutching the top of my head, stumbled through the back gate into the kitchen where I could suffer not in silence. Didn't think it would be very dignified to roll about moaning in pain on the front lawn - the neighbours wouldn't like it.

BUT I did expect DH to follow me inside and, even if he (as a man) is incapable of administering any kind of real support, possibly ask 'is something wrong?'

Nothing! Zilch! Nada!

Men!

rosesarered Fri 21-Aug-15 18:50:50

oh! I see, TriciaF, your own ducks, makes sense, I could only think of you both rushing around in the park! grin

merlotgran Fri 21-Aug-15 15:25:57

Freda's post has me giggling. If only they could see themselves!!

Sunday morning I was enjoying a coffee on the patio with DD and her OH. DH was cutting the grass so I made him one as well. We were all chatting about something and nothing and I noticed that Mr Grumpy was contra-dicting and arguing about just about everything. DD suddenly lost her patience and told him not to be such a pain. He objected (of course) and chucked his mug of coffee in a flower bed so he could make a dramatic exit.

Now....It's really difficult to get wheel-spin on a ride on mower but he tried....He really tried! grin

friends123 Fri 21-Aug-15 15:15:08

Annelidia-lot's to teach us-same blood it seems.(c/f Google again)

Auntieflo Fri 21-Aug-15 11:08:45

Morning all, not connected to the aboveposts, but am not sure how to start a new one,so here goes. I put a wanted ad on Freecycle and got a lovely reply, but it was not what i needed, so had to refuse. Why do I feel so bad about it? I post a lot of Offers and get loads of " I want it now" as well as the nice ones. Does anyone else feel like this.

Ana Thu 20-Aug-15 20:45:35

Oh dear, shouldn't laugh but that was a wonderful image as well, Deeda! grin

Hope you and your DH were both OK...

Deedaa Thu 20-Aug-15 20:42:40

Last year I had a bad (and noisy) fall in the house. DH hurled himself out of his chair, collapsed half way across the dining room and badly bruised his chest on a chair. Instead of getting tea and sympathy I got the blame for giving him a fright and stirring up his AF!

Ana Thu 20-Aug-15 17:32:42

What a wonderful image! grin

Anya Thu 20-Aug-15 17:27:03

Anyone is welcome to 'hijack' this thread as there's some wonderful example the Men are from Mars theiry emerging.

I didn't ask about the fleeing duck Tricia as we used to keep geese and were always chasing them around. I went out early one work-day morning once to let them into the field and the gander flew at me, head extended and an evil look in his mean blue eyes. In self defence I grabbed the nearby yard brush, clouted him across the head with the bristles then chased him into the field yelling abuse at him like a banshee. Luckily we weren't overlooked as I was still in my nightie, wearing wellies and with my hair in curlers.

Grannynise Thu 20-Aug-15 17:23:52

Whatever I have to complain about, OH has it worse. Always.

grandMattie Thu 20-Aug-15 17:21:40

Me thinks we all have the same chap! Mine is identical, but although fairly hard of hearing, pretends he "can hear perfectly"!
Had a right shoulder operation recently, I'm right-handed. Guess who cooked dinner? Moi, of course!
Hope you get a nice dinner, Anya. Good luck with the head bandage. Will you end up looking like an Easter egg with the bow on top? grin

Freda47 Thu 20-Aug-15 17:09:46

I think you and I are married to the same bloke, Absent! Mine is v. deaf too. A while ago I woke up at some ungodly hour feeling very sick and dizzy, crawled to the loo and was promptly ill. Then I came over all sweaty and faint (nice) and lay on the loo floor trying to call him. He eventually woke up, looked at me, said "I'll make a cup of tea then", did so, and took himself back to bed with it - leaving me lying there.
At the moment he has the remains of a cough from an earlier mild cold - he's telling everyone he speaks to, even strangers, that he has "quite a bad chest infection". Men! Don't you just love them!

TriciaF Thu 20-Aug-15 17:02:19

Anya - I forgot to say that I hope your head problem is better today.
And rosesarered - we kept ducks once, and were trying to catch one "for the pot".
Only chickens now, they're less capricious.

SusieB50 Thu 20-Aug-15 16:53:56

It's the reverse in our house ! As a nurse in my former life ,anyone has to be on their death bed or haemorrhaging from a major artery to gain any sympathy! Mind you it doesn't help having an OH with hypochondria! My grandfather was a GP and my mother remembers as a child being ignored with scarlet fever !

JonFlorrie Thu 20-Aug-15 16:47:25

I do hope your head is feeling better now Anya. You should lie down and rest till the end of the month at least.
We were enjoying a hot day in the garden a few months ago and I leaned back on the ancient chair, at which point it broke and I ended up on the grass, still clutching a mug of hot tea which had partly spilled down my vibrant white.
Hubby looked and said "That's TWO chairs you have broken this summer", then carried on sipping his full mug of tea.
He's not normally nasty; it was one of those Male Chauvinist Pig remarks though which made me want to bang the remains of the chair right over his head.
I had a good time relating the incident to anyone who would listen though grin

Cosafina Thu 20-Aug-15 16:46:44

I just wish I had a man sad

Stansgran Thu 20-Aug-15 16:04:00

DH has a sore thumb. I'm waiting for a hip operation. Guess who mentions what? Frequently. Anya could you not improvise a decent bandage with a pair of white leggings or an old t shirt. . And please I want to know more about the fleeing duck. Was it some orange sauce?

absentgrandma Thu 20-Aug-15 15:59:01

So reassuring to see so many OHs,DDHs etc are like my own . Thought I was in the minority living with a bloke who was immune to my pain��

It doesn't help that he is v.deaf....well that was what I put it down to, but I now realise that the root cause is due to him being male. Thanks girls!

A couple of years ago I tripped up the stairs and head-butted a bookcase. With blood coursing down my face (yes, I know head wounds are not as bad as they look) I tried shouting, resorted to crying, and eventually managed to crawl to the bathroom, wrapped my head in a towel and thumped on the floor. When OH finally responded he rummaged (under my instructions) for a sterile dressing in the medicine cabinet, suggested I lie down on the bed and disappeared into the garden for an hour. Afterwards DD said ' Didn't he realise you could have gone to sleep and not woken up?' Well, no ....probably. But then he belongs to the generation that drove his wife to the maternity ward when it all kicked off and only returned when it was all over and mum and baby were back on the ward smelling sweet and smiling, with all the blood and gore unseen and forgotten.... by him of course.

rosesarered Thu 20-Aug-15 14:48:05

Sorry to hijack your thread, Anya, but am intrigued by Tricia's post and want to know more, ' trying to trap a fleeing duck' ..... Why? Where was this, in the park? It's not something I have ever tried before, have I missed out?

Anya Thu 20-Aug-15 12:12:14

Golf not gold!

Anya Thu 20-Aug-15 12:11:39

It's almost reassuring that so many DH's H's are the same.

This morning I enquired after his bad heel and listened in attentive silence while he listed, in great detail, the level of pain, what he finds himself unable to do because of the pain (so I'll be walking the dog again), what he's considering taking for the pain and the padding he intends to put inside his shoes so he won't have to miss his game of gold today hmm

I waited for a similar enquiry about my head (pity I couldn't find a bandage) and I'm still waiting - no surprise there then.

So your idea is looking increasingly attractive downtoearth grin

downtoearth Thu 20-Aug-15 11:50:25

Hope you recovering with the aid of the red juicewine

downtoearth Thu 20-Aug-15 11:42:54

A bump on the head has been known to cause amnesia,so much that you forget you are a mature married woman....fling some clothes in a backpack and announce that you are going backpacking for a year,you can say that you are sure you have met somewhere before...not sure where,and you may give him a call if gives you his number on your return....then book into a luxury hotel for a few days until you have a miraculous recovery and are ready to remember who he is grin.

My OH is of the one upmanship sort anyone thing I get he has with with whistles and bells and something else as well ..I normally suffer in silence,grin

TriciaF Thu 20-Aug-15 11:29:51

My husband is the same, I don't think they can empathise like us sensitive females! Maybe some exceptions.
The worst I had was when we were trying to trap a fleeing duck, he had a large sort of butterfly net and brought it down onto the bird, but my head was in the way. As I was taking Plavix at the time it immediately came up in a huge red bump. He did say sorry, and caught the duck.
On the other hand when I was in hospital he visited regularly - some men won't go near a hospital.

Grannyeggs Thu 20-Aug-15 11:10:23

In fact, you could just lie there moaning "where's my tea" every few minutes.

rosesarered Thu 20-Aug-15 10:23:45

I would give it a week, just to be on the safe side Anya.grin