Gransnet forums

AIBU

Boycotting Amazon when they pay Clarkson £800,000 per episode?

(139 Posts)
rubylady Fri 28-Aug-15 16:07:58

Amazon are said to be paying Clarkson £800,000 per episode and the other presenters and co workers will also be paid huge amounts when they start working for the company. So AIBU to boycott Amazon when they can afford such ludicrious amounts to a man who does something wrong and then gets rewarded in such way?

It really teaches the young the correct way, doesn't it?

thatbags Tue 01-Sep-15 16:46:34

I have just learned, via Twitter (it's good is Twitter wink), that ostentatious self-righteousness, some of which we've seen on this thread, now has a new name: it's called "virtue signalling". Aposite.

Thank you, merlot, too smile

thatbags Tue 01-Sep-15 16:47:34

Bung another p in aposite

Iam64 Tue 01-Sep-15 20:27:41

Well - this thread has proper cheered me up. thatbags losing her cool (good on you) and Elegran suggesting that durhamjen could be a died in the wool Thatcherite, soontobe a professor of Islamic studies amongst other wonders. grin

durhamjen Tue 01-Sep-15 23:03:47

Wow, you guessed. I'll have to be more careful what I write.

So will others, of course. Anyone who thinks that the working conditions of people at Amazon or any other company is not their concern is actually contributing to those poor working conditions.
Boycotts do work. It's just laziness on the part of those who say they cannot be bothered. Either that, or they really do not care.
I await a few swear words.

I've never heard of Oliver Bonas, but they are the first high street retailer to be given living wage foundation accreditation. Ikea is likely to be the next.
It is possible to positively discriminate by shopping at those stores rather than others to show appreciation.

rubylady Wed 02-Sep-15 00:05:23

Luckygirl Boobylady might be more to my discription than rubylady, grin.

thatbags Wed 02-Sep-15 06:56:57

What doesn't work, what has the opposite effect from that intended, is the self-righteousness of nagging, judgemental, full-on "look at me! I'm such a good person", social justice warriors.

Meanwhile other things to improve things for other people work too. Things that people do but say nothing about because they don't want to be bracketed in the same group as those in the previous paragraph.

thatbags Wed 02-Sep-15 06:57:20

ruby, grin

thatbags Wed 02-Sep-15 07:21:17

What the self-righteous naggers don't seen to understand is that some of us prefer to do our "be the change" quietly and without fanfare because we find the noisy, public, in-your-face righteousness exceedingly distasteful and—this is the important bit—we don't think it is any more effective, possibly not even as effective, as the quiet kind of Be The Change. The "do what I do because what I do is good" approach to social change does not appeal to everyone. In my case it does more than not appeal.

Iam64 Wed 02-Sep-15 07:26:43

I'm guilty of posting political stuff on Facebook, despite knowing full well that most of my friends will agree and the ones' who don't, won't be influenced. Good points there thatbags

Elegran Wed 02-Sep-15 08:36:02

It is the same with religious in-your-facedness. The harder I am exhorted to believe exactly what someone else believes, against all my (god-given?) intelligence and knowledge, the more I resist. I do not have the precious ability to discriminate so that I can ignore discrepancies and be blindly obedient to a single authority.

I mostly ignore the political threads.

Less is more.

thatbags Wed 02-Sep-15 08:45:56

It's not the posting so much as the self-righteousness that comes across from the posts of some posters with their inherent judgmentalism and intimation of moral superiority. That is what gets up one's nose.

granjura Wed 02-Sep-15 16:19:44

Wow- how judgemental is THAT- truly, can't you see?

This is an internet forum- someone asks a question and asks for opinions. People give their opinion, sincerely and politely-nobody is pusing anything down anyone's throat, or sitting on any high horse - the exchange is friendly. Then several people say 'not my problem' and others say 'this is a shame'- and they are told to p*ss off and get off their high horse for stating that someone does not care- when this is exactly what they said.

This is sheer madness, truly. Telling someone that because they have a different opinion to yours, and explain why they feel differently- they are being 'judgemental' is JUDGEMENTAL in the extreme, can't you see that?

It reminds me of that famous poem 'First they came for ...'

rosesarered Wed 02-Sep-15 17:55:03

oh not that poem again!

rosesarered Wed 02-Sep-15 17:56:31

sometimes it seems to be almost a competition on here, to see who is the most caring.

Ana Wed 02-Sep-15 18:33:21

Yes, and in the most melodramatic way possible...hmm

durhamjen Sat 12-Sep-15 15:28:50

Just been sent another petition about Amazon, to get it some brownie points.

act.sumofus.org/go/11039?t=2&akid=13482.8185493.Y8bguS

Apparently Roundup has been found to be carcinogenic by the WHO. Amazon sells a lot of it. The petition is to ask Amazon to stop selling Roundup.

Alea Sat 12-Sep-15 15:35:34

Oh but it does do the business with the weeds shock
I make sure not to use it on a windy day and wear protective gloves.

merlotgran Sat 12-Sep-15 15:39:42

Is there a petition targetting garden centres and agricultural merchants or is it just Amazon in the firing line? hmm

Ana Sat 12-Sep-15 15:41:13

These petitions are getting ludicrous!

Ceesnan Sat 12-Sep-15 15:42:00

merlotgran you beat me to it!

Ceesnan Sat 12-Sep-15 15:48:09

Just had a closer look, and it says "Probably carcinogenic" hmmm. Personally I think it would be better to come up with a definite reason before starting the hysteria. Mind you, just my opinion.....

Alea Sat 12-Sep-15 15:57:34

Might actually also be harmful to weeds. Has anybody got up a petition on their behalf?hmm

Elegran Sat 12-Sep-15 16:21:58

Equal rghts for weeds! Lets get up a petition against speciesism.

Elegran Sat 12-Sep-15 16:36:16

Other 'carcinogens'

Toast: contains acrylamide, a genotoxic carcinogen produced as a result of cooking starch-rich food at high temperatures.

Coffee: a byproduct of roasting coffee beans is acrylamide. There have been attempts to force coffee companies in California to add a label warning of cancer.

PVC plastic: emits a carcinogenic gas called vinyl chloride, better known as that not so lovely ??new-car smell??.

Broccoli, onions and strawberries: natural foods containing acetaldehyde, a carcinogen.

Jane10 Sat 12-Sep-15 16:58:56

We're doomed all doomed!