Gransnet forums

AIBU

People who hold grudges

(63 Posts)
KatyK Tue 06-Oct-15 15:21:07

I am trying to be different, I really am. I don't care if anyone upsets me, but if they upset someone in my family I don't cope very well. There is someone who was a bit horrible to my DH whilst he was undergoing cancer treatment. It was a while ago and should be long forgotten (DH couldn't care less) but every time I see this person I feel a Grrrr moment coming on. Cool but cordial is how I try to be sunseeker but inwardly fuming !

soontobe Tue 06-Oct-15 15:15:42

I think there is a difference between holding a grudge, and not wanting to get rid of it.
And holding one, and having trouble trying to get over it.

Indinana Tue 06-Oct-15 14:54:25

I've tried holding grudges sometimes, tried being 'in a mood' with someone, just to let them see how much they've hurt me. But I just can't keep it up. I'm not going to lay claim to some marvellously sunny disposition, because I can be a proper old nag (DH would certainly testify to that blush). But I blow up and then just as quickly cool down and get on with things. Always been the same, right from childhood.
Reckon that's why I just can't cope with people as described in the OP. I'm on your side Anya smile

sunseeker Tue 06-Oct-15 14:48:31

I used to hold grudges until I realised the only person I was harming was myself. The people you hold grudges against are usually totally unaware of your feelings so are not affected.

I think it does depend on what caused the friction in the first place but on the whole I tend to try to remain cool but cordial - and forget about them!

petra Tue 06-Oct-15 14:43:34

HildaW."It always sounds so trivial when said out loud" with me it's the opposite, people go, WHAT!!!!!!

tanith Tue 06-Oct-15 14:43:01

I do know a person like this, as you say whenever he has a 'beef' about something he will then drag up every imagined sleight for the last 40 yrs and everyone just wants say GET OVER IT!!!

HildaW Tue 06-Oct-15 14:40:55

KatyK...you are not alone KatyK I think a lot of us do (well I hope so or I am a nastier person than I thought). I think the difference is that although I might carry it around a bit....I do not really act upon it, or at least I hope not. I certainly do not bore others with it, it always sounds so trivial when said out loud!

petra Tue 06-Oct-15 14:40:55

I hold a grudge. I should ref-raise that, I didn't speak to my sister for the last 33 years of her life (she died last year) It depends on how far greedy, mean people push you.

KatyK Tue 06-Oct-15 14:30:47

I am guilty of holding grudges blush Must try to be a better person.

Jane10 Tue 06-Oct-15 14:26:53

As Shakespeare said they "nurture their wrath to keep it warm". All too common I'm afraid.

whitewave Tue 06-Oct-15 11:39:10

I have an elderly aunt like that, she still moans about her mother, my grandmother, when she was a teenager!

Anya Tue 06-Oct-15 11:34:56

Incidentally it wasn't me who'd upset her!

Anya Tue 06-Oct-15 11:33:39

Aren't they wearing? I've just spent the best part of an hour listening to someone moaning on and on about how her feelings have been hurt, yet again. And then up surfaces all the times this person has been sinned against, going back years and years.

Blimey! How long can some people hold onto things and each time of the telling it gets worse, and never their fault. What happened to forgive and forget?

Thank goodness for caller display, I'm never going to answer the phone to get ever again.