Gransnet forums

AIBU

BBC and what are your views? [confused]

(38 Posts)
LuckyDucky Wed 21-Oct-15 16:16:20

a) Why does the UK tax payer continue to fund the BBC? The Corporation owns several channels on Sky. Then there's new and old TV programmes/films sold across the world.

b) As Top Gear was the biggest grossing TV programme on the planet, why threaten ( UK population) viewers to pay an annual fee? angry Answer . . .because they can. The UK government's can legislate the BBC fees will remain the same, will be reduced or shelved. Hypothetically, if your snout was in the UK's trough, wouldn't you ensure your trough stays accessible and full?

Anyone agree?

Ana Thu 22-Oct-15 10:54:54

I feel the same way, gillybob. And I do think the salaries paid to some at the top are obscene - how much is Alan Yentob, for example, on?

gillybob Thu 22-Oct-15 11:11:49

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2856908/The-91-BBC-executives-paid-Prime-Minister-Eleven-including-Director-General-BBC-One-controller-head-radio-earn-100-000-Cameron.html

Apparently there are 91 (bosses) with a combined salary of £19 million. Its eye watering.

Then you have the likes of Graham Norton on £2.6 million and Gary Lineker on £2 million.

How can the BBC justify this? It is tax payers money afterall.

Elegran Thu 22-Oct-15 11:17:45

List of programmes made by the BBC that are either currently being broadcast or have previously been broadcast on the BBC in the United Kingdom.

Elegran Thu 22-Oct-15 11:20:41

Open University programmes on the BBC

Elegran Thu 22-Oct-15 11:22:29

A permanent rolling record of everything on BBC Television and Radio. Since October 2007 this site has created a permanent, findable web presence for every programme the BBC has broadcast, with some programmes being populated as far back as 1942.

LullyDully Thu 22-Oct-15 11:43:53

I am just a BBC fan. I like the integrity they generally show. I am prepared to pay for the lack of ads. Everything defaults
to Radio 4 here.

On ITV catch up you can not whizz through the ads. Awful. Every time you go forward you are met with a raft of ads.

BBC news can be biased but so can Channel 4. My Dad thought BBC was the only channel to view. We were the last people to have ITV at my school. He used to say "Let's watch the news in English!"(He was born in 1907.)

They do need to rationalise their salaries for all those people played obscene salaries.

So long live the BBC just take care you don't loose it all.

gillybob Thu 22-Oct-15 12:01:25

My late grandma was the opposite LullyDully she preferred ITV and said it was for "us working class". She was also dead against the crazy salaries paid from tax payers money.

gillybob Thu 22-Oct-15 12:02:54

BBC news is so PC it is almost laughable at times.

trisher Thu 22-Oct-15 12:11:16

The reason they pay high salaries to some presenters is to retain them and because their shows sell on well, and easily.

Nvella Thu 22-Oct-15 13:28:09

I feel almost the same about the BBC as I do about the NHS - I think it should be treasured. So they get some things wrong but I am always astonished when going to the US and Canada how appalling their TV is and how friends I meet there spend all their viewing times watching BBC boxed sets. I would pay double the licence fee without quibbling.

harrigran Thu 22-Oct-15 17:55:45

I have two properties therefore I have to buy two licences, I never watch live television so it is used as a monitor for watching DVDs, of course the set could be used to watch live TV so I am not exempt.
I would like to think that all those abroad, receiving BBC, were contributing too but I guess not.

Tegan Thu 22-Oct-15 18:18:21

Take it that those who don't like the BBC are not going to watch The Last Kingdom tonight [can't wait, me!!].