Gransnet forums

AIBU

GP's behind closed doors, tonights episode.

(11 Posts)
Anne58 Wed 21-Oct-15 21:56:08

Very nice young lady GP, good listening skills, empathy etc, but her dress seemed to me more suitable for going out clubbing (music venues, not seals) or even perhaps a wedding, with the addition of a fascinator & pashmina.

I did get just a tad alarmed about the young man who wanted her to check his foreskin....................

Luckygirl Wed 21-Oct-15 22:10:26

I am just watching the recording (so I can flash through the ads) and I thought exactly the same thing about the young female GP's clothes. I know someone will come on here and say that this is sexist and she can wear what she likes; but when you are in a closed room with men who are drugged up or drunk then it simply does not make sense at all.

Haven't made it as far as the foreskin yet.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 21-Oct-15 22:22:24

I thought the same.

Luckygirl Wed 21-Oct-15 22:24:31

I do think this series is very good as it shows us why GPs burn out - how do you keep that professional concern switched on when you are tired yourself?

I can remember as a SW that there were times when I had to struggle not to switch off; and your heart sinks when you see some clients who you know that you cannot help however hard you try.

I've just got to the foreskin and I have to say I am very surprised she did not call in a chaperone.

durhamjen Wed 21-Oct-15 22:30:11

Maybe the camera there was thought enough, with however many people watching.

louisamay Wed 21-Oct-15 22:34:44

It may be a sexist comment, but she really looked like she was dressed for clubbing rather than ministering to the sick. Maybe that's where she was going after evening surgery......who knows?

Anne58 Wed 21-Oct-15 22:42:28

Thank you all for your comments, I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who thought her dress was inappropriate! Very stylish, very flattering but NOT quite the thing for seeing patients in!

Eloethan Wed 21-Oct-15 23:10:34

I did think it was a rather impractical outfit to wear to work, especially in a medical environment. I also didn't think it was particularly flattering - just odd.

I found it strange that the young man with the alleged foreskin problem felt it was rather a "sensitive" matter and yet was quite happy for the whole consultation, including his examination, to be filmed and shown on the TV. Presumably, as it was being filmed, a chaperone would have been surplus to requirements.

Nelliemoser Wed 21-Oct-15 23:21:42

I thought that about her dress, it was just not appropriate for the situation, for the same reasons as Luckygirl; and I do acknowledge the potential controversy of that. How would you be thought of if you were wearing something like that and had to deliver very bad news.

I think it's something about being seen to look appropriate to your patients. I cant explain this in any better way.

Grandma2213 Thu 22-Oct-15 03:01:16

Actually I didn't notice what she was wearing - just how well she listened and how positive she was. I loved how she admitted to being embarrassed as a student and went a bit red. I think she's a great GP.

Nelliemoser - if I was receiving bad news the last thing I would be concerned about would be someone's dress sense.

Nvella Thu 22-Oct-15 04:47:49

I am amazed at how patient and sympathetic the GPs are - there are always a couple I would want to kick up the a...