Gransnet forums

AIBU

Rant warning! Are we becoming a nation of bone idle wastrels.

(155 Posts)
Nelliemoser Thu 29-Oct-15 12:53:26

In ASDA this morning. Lot's of the ready prepared chopped up fruit and veg which is going to rapidly deteriorate in terms of vitamin content and quickly become spoilt and thrown out, while the unprepared fruit lasts for days. An expensive waste of good food. There

The ultimate horror was Kingsmill selling white sliced bread with the crusts ready cut off.
£1.25 for a crustless 400 gram loaf.
£1.35 for a crust on 800 gram loaf.

This is an apalling rip off.

rosequartz Mon 09-Nov-15 21:54:34

Prepared fruit is expensive, but an occasional treat!
Better for me than eyeing up a pineapple I bought thinking it would be lovely then putting off cutting it up and ending up throwing it out.
(don't tell Hugh F-W!)

etheltbags1 Mon 09-Nov-15 21:52:55

I find that pre prepared fruit and veg is the best way of buying small amounts when you live alone. I bought a huge iceberg lettuce the other day and I would have taken a week to eat it at every meal. So I buy small prepared salads and sometimes veg but I find prepared fruit is quite expensive.

rosequartz Thu 05-Nov-15 17:38:31

thatbags that's a helluva trip for shopping!
It sounds quite normal to me if I want to avoid Tesco, that is!

Not as long as the lady in the news today who went out on a 6 mile trip to buy a dress, got lost in the fog and spent the next 6 hours driving around, eventually tracked down by the police because her DD had reported her as a missing person.
She didn't find a dress she liked either!

rosesarered Thu 05-Nov-15 16:35:33

thatbags that's a helluva trip for shopping!

rosesarered Thu 05-Nov-15 16:34:15

Well,what are laundries for? grinMy Mother hated my Father sitting around the house wearing a shirt but no collar, and his braces.How times change.

rosequartz Thu 05-Nov-15 14:33:50

roses I discovered to my horror when I was first married that DH had to wear collar-detached shirts for work
After I presented him with six starched but very singed shirt collars he decided he would take them to the laundry instead grin

thatbags Thu 05-Nov-15 12:53:17

Inventing reasons why I don't want to go grocery shopping today, apart from the fact of it being a twenty-five mile round trip and I hate shopping, is a good reason not to go, right? Sticking with the bone idle wastrel theme.

There are some yesterday's leftovers (cooked by me from scratch) DH can have tonight and some bacon that needs using up for me to have a bacon butty. That's be fine. Minibags, who's a complete weirdo when it comes to food, feeds herself nowadays because her bone idle wastrel of a mother can't be arsed any more.

Plus, there's nothing like practice for making perfect wink

rosesarered Thu 05-Nov-15 11:22:48

Frozen mashed swede, Aunt Bessie ( mashed swede and carrot) and very yummy it is too.Sold in most supermarkets in UK.

rosesarered Thu 05-Nov-15 11:20:29

Things change don't they, and some shortcuts are great IMO.I don't want to spend hours slaving away in the kitchen.
I remember being shown how to starch and press mens collars in school, and how sarky the teacher was if we got it wrong, another skill that I have never needed to use!grin

Grannycupcake Thu 05-Nov-15 10:59:20

Rosequartz - you are hereby absolved. Don't worry.

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 03-Nov-15 19:35:40

Thanks Anya. Whilst I was looking at the 3 for 2 offers, I completely forgot to buy more chopped onions. Now here's a sacrilege - I have frozen chopped onions in my freezer. Great back up and handy for the slow cooker too. grin

Anya Tue 03-Nov-15 19:23:31

Just read that recipe on the LC thread, sounds delicious Wilma and a good point about no waste.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 03-Nov-15 18:49:12

Ready chopped onions are a gift from heaven. For the same reason as Galen.

Galen Tue 03-Nov-15 18:30:21

I use ready prepared onion as chopping it really hurts my eyes.
I used to buy ice when we were on our boat, before we going a 12volt mini fridge

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 03-Nov-15 18:02:27

I couldn't agree more Anya.

Just bought cauliflower couscous, runner beans (steam bag) and broccoli florets, all prepared - and on a 3 for 2 offer. No waste and all eaten tonight for dinner. Roasted the broccoli in olive oil and lemon juice. Stir fried the cauliflower couscous and then tossed everything in grated Parmesan cheese, salt and ground black pepper. Served with the runner beans. Delicious.

Anya Mon 02-Nov-15 16:11:40

Chopped vegetables and fruit are more likely to promote a healthy diet than drive people to ready meals. At least people are cooking from basics using raw ingredients which is the main thing?

Hattiehelga Mon 02-Nov-15 14:27:06

It actually worries me that future generations will live on the increasingly available ready cooked, ready prepared food which will inevitably contribute to the obesity increase (pot calling kettle here I am afraid !!). It also has to be a generational thing; I am 76 and feel guilty if I buy anything ready made - cakes, meals and so on. I always cook from scratch and did so even when working full time. I am not a saint at all - just following the example of my mother who managed to do the same and provide tasty, nutritious meals through the war years. From her I get the insistence to use leftovers and waste as little as possible. I have done my best to instil this in my daughter who caters far more "healthily" but does cook and now having regular cook-ins with my granddaughter aged 7. Of course, in my early working days we didn't have the same career openings as today and the norm was to finish work when the first baby came along. All the equal opportunities career-wise now are financially rewarding but lead to all things convenient. Don't ask me what the answer is.

daisy60 Mon 02-Nov-15 13:27:06

Oh my, I have no idea how my post has been posted so many times. Apologies.

daisy60 Mon 02-Nov-15 13:23:12

That's capitalism for you! Businesses will exploit every opportunity to make money and busy mums and dads will buy products to save time. Young families work hard, provide their kids with every opportunity their lives are like whirl winds. It is not laziness but the consequence of the world we now live in. On one level they appear to have it all, but at what cost.

daisy60 Mon 02-Nov-15 13:23:11

That's capitalism for you! Businesses will exploit every opportunity to make money and busy mums and dads will buy products to save time. Young families work hard, provide their kids with every opportunity their lives are like whirl winds. It is not laziness but the consequence of the world we now live in. On one level they appear to have it all, but at what cost.

daisy60 Mon 02-Nov-15 13:23:09

daisy60 Mon 02-Nov-15 13:23:06