Gransnet forums

AIBU

Today I call a strike on this forum. Whaes for us ,damn few, an they are all deid

(158 Posts)
jollyg Tue 10-Nov-15 12:43:55

We have not got a profile page

We cant edit.

We dont have a posting list, [who posts what where] available on many other sites.

GN entices with books, freebies from the publishers.

Sadly we are being bought for a mess of potage.

Owners dont give a tuppenny toss what we do as long as their coffers are filled, and not a sweary word from me YET

soontobe Tue 10-Nov-15 15:55:55

jollyg. I think it has been said/suggested before on gransnet, that the search engine isnt brilliant because HQ dont want it to be, as it might cause a lot of friction!

soontobe Tue 10-Nov-15 15:57:03

Do we need to edit? [not even sure what that means really]. Isnt it just a case of not pressing the post message button too soon?

Ana Tue 10-Nov-15 15:57:57

Eh? Never heard that one before...

Why on earth would it cause a lot of friction? confused

rosesarered Tue 10-Nov-15 16:00:09

I don't think we have any right to complain, it's a good, well run site, and lots of us win prizes who are regulars, it's all free, I don't see a problem.

kittylester Tue 10-Nov-15 16:01:13

I'm not saying you don't care at GNHQ and I have won good prizes but it doesn't seem fair that people only us us for the prizes.

You did ask for opinions on the weekly/daily email but nothing has changed and some of us asked for a last poster notification on the mobile site. I haven't seen an update - is there one?

Having said that, I love gn! [cake]wine

soontobe Tue 10-Nov-15 16:03:38

It was discussed on a thread before Ana.
I wont be able to find which thread!

There would be more friction because A would be able to prove that B said whatever, 6 months ago.

soontobe Tue 10-Nov-15 16:04:49

I dont mean A and B to be any poster in particular
<wishes that I had used the letters X and Y>

TriciaF Tue 10-Nov-15 16:06:52

The only thing that bothers me (slightly) is the lack of ability to edit. But using preview gets around that problem.
I love this forum .
And Soon - what makes you think they make loadsamoney out of advertising?

baubles Tue 10-Nov-15 16:25:39

I'm not sure how many people are only using the site for the competitions but I don't actually see anything wrong with that. Forums aren't for everyone and Gransnet has plenty of other areas, books, recipes, blogs, for people to enjoy.

soontobe Tue 10-Nov-15 16:26:35

Well, to be fair I dont know for sure it is advertising. But in my naievity/lack of knowledge, I dont know how else they would make money out of this site?

I do know that one year[read it in a newspaper article I think], they made a profit, or it could have been turnover[which isnt a profit] of £2 million

JamJar1 Tue 10-Nov-15 16:27:30

Well as this is posted under AIBU yes in my opinion some posters are being unreasonable. I did not even know about the profile pages and would not trouble to read them. Lots of gransnetters must enter competitions and rarely post if at all, but I cannot see why this should be a problem?

soontobe Tue 10-Nov-15 16:29:24

I have to say that personally I am happy with this site.
It is easy to use. I know it has its flaws, but so does everything else in life.

Lona Tue 10-Nov-15 17:06:39

Maybe it's the comparison with Mumsnet that causes a little unrest on here? They can change their names with impunity which we can't, (do they get better emoticons too?) and perhaps that makes us feel like the poor relation.
Hey ho, I still love Gn.

loopylou Tue 10-Nov-15 17:10:45

If MN is so superior (and I disagree) then perhaps the dissatisfied minority would be better moving over there Lona?

I certainly don't view GN as a poor relation, just refreshingly different to MN, and I too love GN.

Duncruin Tue 10-Nov-15 17:20:26

Well said, Baubles and Jamjar. I enjoy this site and have recommended it to other grandparents. I don't have any complaints to make but if I did I would simply leave. Calling a strike? Really? And what is the daft ' Whaes for us .....' All about?

Indinana Tue 10-Nov-15 17:32:21

I can sort of understand why some members feel a little put out when they see dozens of unknown names on the competition threads, because it does look as if all these people have joined GN only for the competitions. However, there is nothing in the T&C that says you can't do this, so grumbling is pointless.
I have been on other sites where members have to clock up a mininum number of forum posts (25 or 50) in order to be eligible to use the site's For Sale and Wanted threads. So it is possible to have something like that on GN, but why would they introduce such a system? Why would any internet site make itself less attractive to new members?

Alea Tue 10-Nov-15 17:49:56

PS The quote is
"Here's tae us
Wha's like us?
Dam' few
An' they're a' deid"

#getitright"

numberplease Tue 10-Nov-15 17:50:34

I am quite happy with Gransnet. My only complaint has been the loss of the profiles, so it`s good news that the profile page is coming back. I have won several books, and really do appreciate them, but I agree that it`s annoying when, the second a really brilliant prize is on offer, loads of unknown posters jump out of the woodwork.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 10-Nov-15 17:56:36

Yes I know Cari cares. She is never going to become a millionaire by doing this. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 10-Nov-15 17:58:19

Cari !!! Big sloppy one! Mwah X!

smile

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 10-Nov-15 18:00:36

I still think the profiles going was something to do with the hacker. Did they ever catch him? You wouldn't think they'd give up chasing him, not after he sent a SWAT team round to Justine's house!

Ana Tue 10-Nov-15 18:03:51

Are the profiles back on MN now?

Katek Tue 10-Nov-15 18:06:49

To OP. It's always easier to criticise....what is it they say about walking a mile in someone's shoes?? I'm happy with GN and so are lots of others - if you don't like it you can always leave. Your choice

trisher Tue 10-Nov-15 18:24:36

Just because you are happy with something doesn't mean there can't be improvements. Perhaps a little more clarity would be appreciated. For example how many techies are there and how many people selling advertising space? Telling people more usually helps to keep them happier.

Iam64 Tue 10-Nov-15 18:33:36

Yes, URBU imo.
As others have said, the site is free, HQ/Base control seem to keep things running pretty smoothly.
If you don't like it, you don't have to use it. smile