Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be cross with Specsavers

(28 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 15-Dec-15 12:52:39

I had two new pairs a few months ago following a 2 year eye check and they tested my vision. The glasses were hopeless - basically I could not see properly through them. I returned and had a second eye test which said the prescription was not right; so new lenses prescribed.

Now, a couple of months down the line, having persevered with them I had to revert to my old specs, as I cannot see the TV nor drive at night in them. I rang yesterday to say that I wanted to ask them to put my old prescription in the new frames. They asked me to come in today to see one of their "dispensing staff" to arrange this.

I trekked down there (nowhere is near for me where we live) only to be told that they could not do that without me having another eye test and that this could not be done till 30th at the earliest. I asked if I could be sure that, having seen the optician and had yet another test, they would agree to use the old prescription and they said no.

So......I asked for a refund on them. They are going to talk to the managers this afternoon and ring me to let me know their decision - I have left the two new pairs with them as I cannot be a***d to go back down there unnecessarily. I am afraid they will get short shrift from me if they do not refund my card straight away - I have a complicated prescription and the lenses cost an arm and a leg, as do the frames as I have to have titanium because I am allergic to nickel.

So I am a bit pissed off.

Indinana Fri 08-Jan-16 23:22:13

My husband lost a little screw from his specs when we were in France, so we popped into an independent opticians and they repaired them free of charge. So pleasant and obliging too. I've never had any problems with Specsavers, they've always got my prescription right and I've even been able to have varifocals on trial with no obligation to buy! That was some years ago. Nevertheless I will be switching to Tesco simply because I can drive straight there, with free parking, whereas I have to go into town for SS, pay for parking, then walk some distance from and to the car park. I struggle with walking these days due to arthritis and severe pain in my feet, so the switch to Tesco makes perfect sense.
Well done LG for getting what you wanted smile

Luckygirl Sat 09-Jan-16 10:11:03

You may be interested to hear that they have finally come up trumps - they have put my old prescription in the new frames and refunded me the cost of the "free" pair that I now no longer need as I have my old glasses as a spare. The spare is not free for me as I have a complicated prescription and have to pay extra.

It is a bit sigh-making that I had to make a fuss to get them to sort it out - I hate all that. But my glasses are so expensive, I was not prepared to waste the money.