Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU...to object to the new Chris Moyles advert?

(59 Posts)
AlieOxon Wed 13-Jan-16 10:23:51

I was completely shocked to see his (apparent, I know) behaviour.

And what I hope is that my toddler grandson won't see it. What does a very young boy think on watching this?
I'm horribly afraid that it's 'This is what people do...'

My 14-year old grandson is just feeling his muscles. 'This is what I could do' ?

AlieOxon Fri 15-Jan-16 11:05:44

Good, M0nica! I was considering this too - will do.

Elegran Fri 15-Jan-16 11:05:55

I have done so. Here is a link to the ASA complaints page - www.asa.org.uk/Consumers/How-to-complain.aspx

Elegran Fri 15-Jan-16 11:06:39

Snap, Monica, AlieOxon

Imperfect27 Fri 15-Jan-16 11:58:27

Than
Thanks for the link Monica, I have just put in a complaint too. Power to the grannies' voice!!!

Anya Fri 15-Jan-16 12:03:44

Me too!

MiniMouse Fri 15-Jan-16 12:15:01

And me!

Auntieflo Fri 15-Jan-16 12:49:56

Haven't seen the Chris Moyles advert, but why do companies think that they are fine for general viewing? The ones I hated most were on comparison adverts, can't remember which one now, but first there was a chap in shorts and high heels, jerking all over the place. Then another was with a hugely fat man smarming his way around a building site and pulling himself along the ground like a slug. Disgusting.

Tegan Fri 15-Jan-16 12:54:52

I don't think many adverts bother me [except the ones trying to get vulnerable people to borrow money they can't afford to pay back] but the Chris Moyles one is disgusting. I don't think it was shown for long though, as I had forgotten it.

M0nica Fri 15-Jan-16 14:52:45

It was on last night at around 8.00pm, I am not sure which channel.

NanaandGrampy Fri 15-Jan-16 16:57:14

Ive complained .

I have 3 grandsons and this is not the behaviour I want them to think is acceptable !

AlieOxon Fri 15-Jan-16 19:49:09

Having difficulty. Someone tell me when it was on on the 12th or 13th? What channel? Then I will complain!
I was shocked and even found it scary, and don't at all want to go and watch it again!

M0nica Fri 15-Jan-16 20:00:37

I am not sure, I was getting the ironing board out and setting it up before turning the tv to the channel I wanted to watch, but the advert caught my eye because of the content and because I suddenly realised it was the one referred to in Alie's original post. I then went to get the iron and moved to the channel I wanted.

Complaining only occurred to me later. All I can say is that it was about 8.00pm. I have looked online and it could be Channel 4

AlieOxon Fri 15-Jan-16 21:03:41

I saw it in the afternoon, 12th or 13th, but I haven't got all the detail they ask for!
I will try again in the morning....too tired now. Typing dyslexia taking over!

Maggiemaybe Sat 16-Jan-16 16:14:33

It's a parody of The Verve's video for their Bittersweet Symphony.

Which doesn't make it any less irritating or obnoxious, imho.

AlieOxon Mon 18-Jan-16 12:18:31

Forgot to say, yes, I have put in a complaint, with the little detail I know!

Elegran Mon 18-Jan-16 16:12:53

Reply from Advertising Standards Agency -

"Thank you for contacting the ASA.
It may interest you to know that we’ve recently concluded an investigation about this ad having received similar complaints to yours. I understand the ruling will be published on our website on Wednesday 27 January. I’m unable to share any information before that time, however please feel free to visit our site once it’s on there to read up on the decision: www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications.aspx.
Many thanks again for contacting us with your concerns."

AlieOxon Mon 18-Jan-16 16:31:51

Great!

Imperfect27 Mon 18-Jan-16 16:44:06

I've had that email too ... will be interesting to see what happens.

MiniMouse Mon 18-Jan-16 17:08:19

I couldn't remember all the details, either, but just put that I saw it last week. I've had the same reply as Elegran and others, so I'm assuming that they know which ad I meant (must have had loads of complaints then wink)

Elegran Mon 18-Jan-16 17:11:41

I just said I had seen it on Youtube that day.

M0nica Mon 18-Jan-16 17:21:20

I have just received an email from the ASA saying:

It may interest you to know that we’ve recently concluded an investigation about this ad having received similar complaints to yours. I understand the ruling will be published on our website on Wednesday 27 January.

AlieOxon Fri 22-Jan-16 12:01:05

I got one ditto.

SwimHome Mon 25-Jan-16 12:10:49

Vile ad, I agree, but give our kids some credit, most who have been well brought up will realise how crass it is and react as we do. Those who have been on the receiving end of anything like this (most kids) will know it's neither clever nor appropriate behaviour. I sometimes think we don't trust our youngsters enough.

GreatauntieLinda Wed 27-Jan-16 11:21:13

Having read their ruling the ASA did not uphold our complaints. Another nail in the coffin for decent behaviour.

NanaandGrampy Wed 27-Jan-16 11:51:36

They have already ruled on it ladies. He ruling is available

www.lawdepot.co.uk/contracts/business-plan/?loc=GB&pid=googleppc-buspln_gb-templateT1_a1-ggkey_business%20plan%20template%20free&gclid=CKyFp77OxcoCFSUewwodOCcG5Q

They ruled that is was acceptable as it was intended to be unrealistic and humour out.

Hmmmmm!