Gransnet forums

AIBU

Kids are Baby Goats

(111 Posts)
Pippa000 Mon 08-Feb-16 10:44:56

Why do I get so incensed when children are called kids, am I that out of date? confused

BBbevan Sun 06-Mar-16 15:05:11

A teacher I once knew greeted her class each day with " Good morning my lovelies". Much better than "Mornin kids" which I have heard.

Lona Sun 06-Mar-16 15:34:44

In my head "kids" is an affectionate term, so I've always used it, along with other less affectionate terms! ?

Jalima Sun 06-Mar-16 15:52:16

Ooh, I didn't mean to be insulting. I think you misunderstood my post totally MamaCaz - I was not meaning that I think of them as 'plebs', rather that (imo) Ms Beard does.
Moreover, she is not above throwing out insults in RL to people whom she considers inferior to her (and who, in fact are just as highly educated but not as high profile as her) and inferring that most people are her intellectual inferiors.

(from the way they speak and their lack of formal education) you personally would probably dismiss as 'plebs' and / or 'the lowest common denominator', as you put it, but who are hugely interested in history and would definitely watch programmes like this.
Like me you mean? But even I do not like being 'talked down to'.

Jalima Sun 06-Mar-16 16:00:56

I know lots of people who (from the way they speak and their lack of formal education) you personally would probably dismiss as 'plebs'

You know nothing about me apart from what I post MamaCaz so you do not know whether I am pleb or patrician.
There are very few patricians around and most of us are plebs, myself included.
But there is no need for 'dumbing down', I know of no other presenter who does it.

townie Sun 06-Mar-16 16:23:34

Mary Beard is a Professor of Classics at Cambridge, not Oxford, btw.

townie Sun 06-Mar-16 16:26:01

And what examples are there of her 'throwing out insults in RL to people whom she considers inferior to her'??

MamaCaz Sun 06-Mar-16 16:52:19

Jalima, if I misunderstood your posts, then I am really sorry flowers

Now, as I said before, 'nuff said (on this thread, by me personally, I mean).

Jalima Sun 06-Mar-16 18:14:14

That's OK smile, I re-read my post and see why you may have thought that.

townie as it was in RL I can't possibly name my source, suffice it to say a friend of mine, equally well-educated as MB but not so high profile. But very miffed at MB's rudeness and patronising attitude.

Anyway, I shall continue to watch her, even if her style of presenting grates a bit.

Ana Sun 06-Mar-16 18:19:18

She was very scathing about AA Gill's lack of university education, but only after he had made misogynistic and insulting comments about her.

Jalima Sun 06-Mar-16 19:34:48

Six of one and half a dozen of the other by the sounds of it!
She scoffed and told my friend it was a bit late in life to start studying ancient history (friend is a medieval archaeologist and published historian!).
It's never too late!!