Gransnet forums

AIBU

feeling a bit narked

(30 Posts)
rojon Tue 23-Feb-16 15:27:34

I rang the cleansing services to complain that the Bin men had emptied the contents of my food waste bin into my general waste bin. AIBU to feel rather narked that their response was to send ME a leaflet about how to use the recycling bins!!

granalogue Wed 24-Feb-16 17:49:22

Sorry inishowen, cats and pigeons have to go in 2 completely different bins. grin
Our council has a "help with your recycling" section on its website. It has really helpful suggestions like - Plastic bottles go in the recycling bin. If you're unsure, the additional helpful guidance says "If it's plastic and looks like a bottle then put it in". Well, that clears that up then.

ellenemery Wed 24-Feb-16 20:16:57

We have two bins, food bins and bags for garden waste here. One is a rubbish bin collected fortnightly. We have less than a quarter of this bin filled in two weeks. The second bin is for recyclable items. Papers, tins, plastic bottles, clothes, cardboard etc. The recycle bin is always completely full to the top each fortnight.

We too have silly rules about the recycling, we can put in plastic bottles but not plastic spread tubs or plastic yoghurt pots. We can put in cardboard boxes but not corrugated cardboard boxes. They have now changed the clothing rules as all old clothing and shoes could go in and be used to sell for ragging. We now are only allowed good quality clothing and these must be in a separate bag.

Our garden bags can be filled with all garden waste as long as twigs are not too thick.

We do not use the food bins as we have very little waste here. We were brought up after the war when food was short and was not wasted. We also have our step grandson living here so there is very little food left after a meal.

Our recycle and garden waste go into one bin lorry too but the lorry is actually divided into two parts and if we follow the lorry down the road we can see the belts going up into separate sides of the lorry.

annsixty Wed 24-Feb-16 20:39:32

We have 4 bins, black for general household waste, green for garden waste, brown for bottles tins and plastics. Blue for paper or cardboard. We have a basket with liners for kitchen waste which includes food left over, also scraped from plates including bones,peelings of all kinds ,egg shells, tea bags and dead flowers. When the food basket is full we tie it and put it in the garden waste. We get a calendar each year to tell us which bins will be collectedon every Friday. All very efficient.

rojon Wed 24-Feb-16 20:52:29

well I rang cleansing again and they promised that a supervisor would ring me within 48 hours. I'm not holding my breath however as that is what they promised the first time I rang and got a how to recycle leaflet.
Where I live we have a black bin for general waste, a blue bin for paper and cardboard, a brown bin for tins, glass and plastic a large green bin for garden waste, a small green bin for food waste and a kitchen caddy. I live on my own so have the small size wheely bins apart from the garden waste one. Apart from the food waste bin which is collected fortnightly in the winter I can get away with putting the other bins out monthly or even six weekly.
In my terrace of five modern houses only the two end houses can put their bins in the side garden, the other houses do not have back gates so have to keep all those bins in their tiny front gardens. Planning madness.