Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect a recipe to work?

(41 Posts)
kittylester Sun 28-Feb-16 19:26:45

I'm an inveterate ripper out of recipes and today I had decided to do a recipe I had in my pile for rack of lamb with a pesto crust. I thought the cooking time of 12 to 15 minutes looked a bit short and, sure enough, when I got it out of the oven decided that it looked under cooked and put it back. We got fed up (and slightly tipsy!) and after another 15 minutes took it out. It was mostly raw!!

gulligranny Mon 29-Feb-16 12:35:35

Just like Sweetcakes, I do a rack of lamb with a crust - sear/brown the whole thing first and let it cool, then lightly smear on some Dijon mustard and pat the herby crust into that. (I don't like mustard as a rule but Dijon is not too hot). Then 30 minutes in a hot oven and leave it to rest for 10-15 mins somewhere warm before cutting it up into cutlets. This comes out pinkish but not bloody; if it's a bit rare I put the cut-up cutlets back in the oven for 5 minutes which generally does the trick.

inishowen Mon 29-Feb-16 13:45:45

I can't abide undercooked meat. I watch "Come dine with me" and I'm horrified at some of the almost raw meat they serve. Often the cook will say "I'm not going to ask them how they like their meat". I think that's just daft.

kittylester Mon 29-Feb-16 13:55:27

clematis, I've posted it on a thread all of it's own.

kittylester Mon 29-Feb-16 13:57:01

clematisa, I've given it a thread all of it's own.

kittylester Mon 29-Feb-16 13:57:18

Oops!

phizz Mon 29-Feb-16 16:23:26

I've just ordered some milk fed lamb.
Now I'm having second thoughts and wondering if I'll be able to actually eat it, I'm imagining the lovely little things gambolling about and am feeling so guilty.
I keep telling myself if we don't eat it, someone else assuredly will.

nannalyn53 Mon 29-Feb-16 16:34:27

The fashion is now for meat to be less well done than in the past, and one person's 'pink' is another's raw (eg mine). I was brought up to be terrified of undercooking meat esp chicken or turkey by my mother who was quite phobic about it. Found it difficult to ignore her voice in my head until the blessed day recently when I bought a meat thermometer. Can't tell you how liberating it is! Now I have the security of knowing it's safe to eat without cremating it.

Stansgran Mon 29-Feb-16 17:04:10

We use a meat thermometer as I find some of the chefs do insist on too short a time cooking. I dislike blood on a plate and in restaurants produce a barricade of condiments and flowers so that I can't see DH's blue steak. Sainsbury's do a blackface lamb which is very good. Tender and tasty.

Maggieanne Mon 29-Feb-16 19:45:56

My boys bought me a meat thermometer, never used it though. I have found many recipes and meat from supermarkets with cooking instructions that just are not long enough, and OH does like his meat cooked till as dry as a bone, ugh. Jane, the Cordon Bleu magazines started, I think, in the mid-sixties, only bought half of them, still got them though!

Stansgran Mon 29-Feb-16 21:26:25

Unrealiable recipes Gransnet HQ? Doesn't your spell check work?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 29-Feb-16 21:32:49

Oh blush that one snuck in there didn't it?! Reliable reliable reliable!!!

Nelliemoser Mon 29-Feb-16 22:23:33

Not being a meat eater I bought a meat thermometer in one of Aldis bargain days.
It is very useful for my jam and chutney making.

Pippa000 Tue 01-Mar-16 12:52:54

Can I suggest you may also need to check the oven is actually reaching the correct temperature. I have two ovens, the bigger one is always 5-10 degrees below what is indicated, no ides why.

Pippa000 Tue 01-Mar-16 12:54:23

Sorry that should be idea!!!

PS happy St David's day to all us Welsh dragon

Clematisa Wed 02-Mar-16 14:43:59

Thanks sweetcakes, I don't know what has happened to the BBC recipes but it has gone all "funny" on me and won't let me save either... Is it just me or has anyone else noticed? I get a very large photo of the chef and the recipe is all over the place - sometimes it works fine but I think that may be when I don't sign in... I used to be able to save the recipes to my laptop but can't do that now without a copy and paste and then move the stuff about!