Gransnet forums

AIBU

Never did I think I would agree with Edwina Currie !

(52 Posts)
NanKate Mon 29-Feb-16 12:36:35

I have just read an article where Edwina Currie says that using larger models on the catwalk and in advertising is 'dangerous because they make it seem normal to be obese'.

I so agree with her. However the dreaded Daily Mail (I read it most days !!) showed a model purporting to be a size 14, well she looked far bigger to me. I am a 14/16 and am nowhere as big as the model Ashley Graham at the New York fashion show.

EC says that there are so many negative implications of being obese and promoting larger models is unhealthy.

I am now behind the barricade so you can now start shooting. grin

NanKate Mon 29-Feb-16 14:42:56

Just looked at video and still think she looks overweight, but will acknowledge that she has a beautiful face.

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 29-Feb-16 14:46:33

jings Sports Illustrated magazine is a serious sports magazine in the USA that started doing a swimsuit edition in February in the 60s when sales are slow. The swimsuit edition became the biggest selling edition and any supermodel you can name has been in it, female sportswomen too. To be on the cover is a big deal. Tyra Banks was the first black woman to be on the cover and now Ashley can say she was the first plus size model. It's a collector's item and sells out fast every year. We don't have anything like it in the UK! grin

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 29-Feb-16 14:51:01

Atqui completely agree about Kim Kardashian and her mother Kris Jenner.

Jalima Mon 29-Feb-16 15:17:33

Could they airbrush a whole photoshoot video?
I do know a couple of younger people who are about her size and very firm, not wobbly. Although we didn't see much of her tummy!
It's when your skin stretches and you lose weight that everything gets more wobbly (ie tummies after pregnancy).

NanKate Mon 29-Feb-16 15:25:06

I noticed on occasions in the video she put her arm over her stomach to hide it. I should know I have done it often enough. grin

ninathenana Mon 29-Feb-16 15:57:51

Is Edwina a size 8-10 er I don't think so.

Silly woman !

maxgran Tue 01-Mar-16 13:21:10

I think Ashley is well proportioned but overweight.
I don't like the use of skinny models and the use of overweight models.

These days everyone is scared of triggering eating disorders. I am pretty sure things would improve if we were all less body obsessed and there was less photoshopping of images.

Jalima Tue 01-Mar-16 15:38:29

I noticed that too NanKate, and the camera slid very rapidly over her tummy.

Best to stand behind someone else when I have my photo taken (not in a swimsuit?) grin

I saw the furore online about 'Size 14 model' - of course, she is a size 18 over here.

Parsley44 Tue 01-Mar-16 20:21:36

My daughter was a model. She is naturally very very slim - always was. She takes after her paternal grandmother - fine bones and, well, simply very slim. She is sooo fit and does yoga and Pilates - and eats like a horse but inti organic foods. Her most favourite pudding is Spotted Dick and custar - see - she makes an exception from the health Dids on occasion!! Before she married and had her two children, I met her off the plane from Paris, in floods of tears( her not me!). It turned out two fatites sitting across the aisle from her starting making abusive remarks telling her girls like her should go away and die - anorexics should be put down etc., etc.. I am just trying to point out that there are a lot of models / people who are, like my DD, slim and fit . Banning any with the 'wrong' BMI is as bad as, if not worse than, encouraging young girls to eat themselves into a size 16 or more just because too many young people are FAT and they should not be made to feel that this obesity is bad for their health. We have to have a balance, but showing overweight youngsters - or even middle-aged ones - and saying this is the norm is not only immoral but putting young girls at risk. I have noticed that the new rules apply only to girls not men!! Well well - no surprises there!!!!

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 02-Mar-16 01:12:04

Parsley44 how upsetting for you and your daughter.

I agree thin or fat models should not be portrayed as the norm and just to clarify, Ashley Graham was not being portrayed as the norm when she appeared on the cover of SI. For the first time there were three different covers this year to celebrate beauty coming in different shapes and sizes. Ashley is one of the three and the other two are a mixed martial arts champion and a 'normal' model.

I don't think Ashley does have a fat tummy because there's too many videos of her around that show her whole body (she's got quite a big bum and definitely pear shaped!). She does work out a lot and she's only 28, so her body is quite firm. I think she's overweight, but not obese and from what I've read she takes good care of herself. She's lucky to have a slim face with a good jaw line and her body is hour glass shape, so she's also lucky to have a narrow waist.

In the last few years there's been a backlash to the various fashion weeks held in the 'cities' of fashion and plus size fashion weeks have been held in some countries. I saw clips of one (held in Brazil I think) and the models were definitely obese, maybe even morbidly obese. Usually plus size models are tall and well proportioned, but not these models. I cringed at the sight and hope the idea doesn't catch on. I know this sounds fatist, but I'm fat overweight and don't want to see women wearing some of the lingerie and swimwear I saw being modelled. The models couldn't be considered healthy in any way at all.

Teetime Wed 02-Mar-16 09:03:55

I think voluptuous is the word I would use for Ashley - I think she is beautiful and she looks very firm - doesn't always stay like that as you get older I speak as a wobbly one.

NanKate Wed 02-Mar-16 09:38:28

Marilyn Monroe was beautiful and a size 14/16 UK size

Blinko Wed 02-Mar-16 09:57:44

I agree with Wilma. Ashley G is big and tall but looks perfectly healthy. Height makes a lot of difference, imo. It does seem to me that catwalk models are usually thin and tall, the better to show off the outpourings of pathetic designers who apparently cannot make clothes look good on women with 'normal' (whatever that is) proportions. Speaking personally, large boobs are a real pain and automatically make even someone like me of average height (5ft4") look out of proportion. To be my weight and 5ft9" is my ideal..... fat chance! smile

Blinko Wed 02-Mar-16 10:02:42

Just read your post, Parsley44. Disgraceful behaviour of those women on the plane. Your poor DD! But how wonderful to be naturally slim. envy

Persistentdonor Wed 02-Mar-16 10:07:38

I think Ashley G looks rather fabulous. Perhaps she could stand to take off a couple of pounds.... probably a couple of pounds extra would be too many, BUT she is around 5' 9".
I am 5', if I weighed whatever she weighs I would DEFINITELY be horribly obese, and that is the point!!
We should be looking at BMI which is calculated on height and weight, not just weight.
Shame on Edwina that she didn't take a more rational stance. sad

Teacher11 Wed 02-Mar-16 10:44:26

Edwina turned out to be right about the eggs! She's bright and outspoken, a dire combination in an age which values the dim witted, sentimental and virtue signalling.

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 02-Mar-16 11:08:06

Persistentdonor Ashley is 5'9" - see my earlier post. I don't understand what you mean when you compare your height to hers though. Apparently a person's BMI is no longer the best indicator of how healthy someone is - I can't remember what should replace it though! grin

Teetime I agree and the reaction from men has been far more positive than from women. The main positive response from women has been around solidarity for women and a positive body image (especially in response to Cheryl Tieg's negative comments), but the main response from men has been around how gorgeous she looks.

The top plus size models are all like Ashley - attractive faces with an hour glass body shape and carrying some extra weight, but their bodies are still firm. As Teetime says, the firmness doesn't last. The TV presenter Amanda Lamb was the top plus size model in the UK for several years. She looks similar to Ashley.

In the US, a lot of the top plus size models started out in the regular size modelling world, but struggled to keep their weight low enough and found their niche in the plus size world. It's worth mentioning that in the US, plus size starts at UK size 14, it's easy to make plus size clothes look good on a taller size 14 woman. In the the UK, plus size starts at size 16, but the same principle applies.

I watched the early series of America's Top Model and there would always be a contestant who the judges thought was too fat, too big (they often used more unkind words). Here in the UK, as ordinary women we'd never have considered them anytime other than slim.

Now that the fashion world has finally capitulTeetime I agree and the reaction from men has been far more positive than from women. The main positive response from women has been around solidarity for women and a positive body image (especially in response to Cheryl Tieg's negative comments), but the main response from men has been around how gorgeous she looks.

The top plus size models are all like Ashley - attractive faces with an hour glass body shape and carrying some extra weight, but their bodies are still firm. As Teetime says, the firmness doesn't last. The TV presenter Amanda Lamb was the top plus size model in the UK for several years. She looks similar to Ashley.

In the US, a lot of the top plus size models started out in the regular size modelling world, but struggled to keep their weight low enough and found their niche in the plus size world. It's worth mentioning that in the US, plus size starts at UK size 14, it's easy to make plus size clothes look good on a taller size 14 woman. In the the UK, plus size starts at size 16, but the same principle applies.

I watched the early series of America's Top Model and there would always be a contestant who the judges thought was too fat, too big (they often used more unkind words). Here in the UK, as ordinary women we'd never have considered them anytime other than slim.

Now that the fashion world has finally capitulated and plus size modelling has its place, but the trend does seem to be to use larger plus size models like Ashley. I prefer this to seeing taller slim women who don't look a plus size.

Have you noticed when you buy clothes online now, the description often tells you the height and size of the model. That's a step in the right direction.

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 02-Mar-16 11:24:30

Sorry, I had a problem posting my last reply and some of the text has appeared twice. confused

If Edwina had chosen Tess Holliday as her example I would have agreed with her. Tess is 5'5" with a BMI of 46.6. Ashley's BMI is 28.1 (looked it up grin). Tess is part of a growing number of models who are basically saying f* you to the world and that people have a right to be fat without condemnation. I don't have a problem with anyone being fat, but I don't want to see models like Tess being considered mainstream.

It's snowing here! shock

princesspamma Wed 02-Mar-16 13:16:15

If I had to choose whether I wanted to look - and feel - like Ashley Graham or Edwina Currie, I know which I would choose...and it ain't the egg lady!

Juggernaut Wed 02-Mar-16 14:30:18

Before DS was born, I was exactly 36-24-36, 9 st 4 lbs, and could eat whatever I wanted and never gain an ounce! Oh to have those days back again!
My DDiL developed HH boobs by the time she was sixteen, but was 36-22-34 and had a fabulous figure.
So, when people assume that girls with enormous boobs but slim figures must have had them surgically enhanced.....they're talking rubbish!
And, Ashley Graham is gorgeous!

LesleyC Wed 02-Mar-16 15:04:24

Ah that explains it - she's a US size 14. I'm a 12/14 and nowhere near as big as her. She did look large but glamorous and I wouldn't have called her obese. Talk about pots and kettles, I've just seen EC on that holiday programme with Len Goodman and she's quite chunky.

Luckylegs9 Wed 02-Mar-16 15:14:36

Ashley looks very big to me but not bees just overweight, but Tess looks just a huge mass, revolting, think tattooes make it worse. Surely no one can say they look good. Having said that I saw Edwina Currie on tv recently and she is now quite large herself, but at least she is not modelling, the good news is now I can definitely say I am a 14 if Ashly is. The health risks with being overweight are scary, but I can't stick to a diet, but now I know I am a 14 I can have another slice of cake.

grannybuy Wed 02-Mar-16 23:37:04

Ashley may be quite large, but she appears to be very well proportioned, which makes a difference. I think it's often the rolls of flab and lack of defined shape that some of us have that give the impression of being 'fat'.

Anya Thu 03-Mar-16 07:27:48

She's solid, but firm.....now. In a few years time she'll look fat and flabby unless she sheds the pounds. Of course she can, just about, get away with it when young.

Besides, it's not what you look like on the outside, but what's going on inside.

JessM Thu 03-Mar-16 08:50:05

Edwina was right about eggs and salmonella in poultry being a disgrace. I'll always give her credit for that.