Gransnet forums

AIBU

Are there any statues of women?

(63 Posts)
trisher Sat 12-Mar-16 09:44:20

I've just signed a petition to have a statue of a suffragette in Parliament square.https://www.change.org/p/westminster-council-put-a-statue-of-a-suffragette-in-parliament-square
There are 11 statues of men there already. But then I thought how many statues of women are there anyway? I can only think of a couple. Is it unreasonable to think we could do with a few more as the woman said in Suffragette "We are half the population"! Let me know of any statues you know of- I'm counting!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-May-16 14:08:25

This one.

trisher Mon 09-May-16 14:40:14

Mmm. I suppose it might be different if you see it in the flesh reality. But can't say I'm impressed.

gillybob Mon 09-May-16 14:40:30

We have a beautiful Edwardian Town Hall (built between 1905-1910) complete with 145ft chiming clock tower. It is very popular for weddings. Unfortunately there is a huge, ugly statue of Queen Victoria plunked right in the middle of it , with 2 nude lady fountains on either side. If someone would start a petition to have "it" removed I would be the first to sign up. Its hideous.

LullyDully Mon 09-May-16 15:20:36

Elder.....mortified to hear about the Floozie in the Jacuzzi being filled with flowers.!!!! Left Brum a few years ago. Used to be a joy to take my class there to see all the clever, varied ways water moved in the fountain.

A joy on a hot day. Also loved the iron maiden by Anthony Gormly. Rusty but so beautifully shaped.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-May-16 15:31:02

shock !!!

We've got a Queen Victoria. Couldn't get rid of the old girl!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-May-16 15:34:24

That 'orse has got a live ticker feed from the London stock exchange! I didn't know that.

trisher Mon 09-May-16 15:36:46

We've got 2. One in front of the RVI- young VIc, one next to the cathedral-old Vic.
Anyone got 3?

LullyDully Mon 09-May-16 18:21:27

If you Google how many statues of Queen Victoria in the country, she probably out numbers all those male statues out and about!grin

MiriamW541 Tue 10-May-16 00:52:02

There is a statue of Flora Macdonald in Inverness.
In Glasgow there are three statues of women that I know of, Queen Victoria, Isabella Elder (Philanthropist), and Dolores Ibarruri (Civil War Heroine).

Griselda Fri 13-May-16 11:34:50

There is a statue of Florence Nightingale in Derby.

Tegan Fri 13-May-16 12:27:55

She was always losing her hand [the statue, that is]. Had a shock the other day when driving past the statue, as the hospital that was behind it has been totally demolished. Goes to show how often I go in to town these days....

trisher Fri 13-May-16 17:02:11

Response from Sadiq Khan to the request
www.change.org/p/westminster-council-put-a-statue-of-a-suffragette-in-parliament-square/responses/34643
I like the fact that he proposes to be a "proud feminist"