Gransnet forums

AIBU

Blooming scatter cushions

(87 Posts)
NanKate Mon 14-Mar-16 23:21:05

We are house sitting for relatives and on going into our designated bedroom we find scatter cushions on the bed hmm. This really irritates me. What are we supposed to do with them? I have got them stacked up on the sofa.

Can someone please explain the point of these great cushions which seem to have infiltrated lots of hotels too. I hate them.

ninathenana Tue 15-Mar-16 16:48:32

Of course I've got a dressing room kitty ? as if.
Personally I rarely go in my bedroom during the day. I get dressed first thing dependant on whether I'm going out. If I have 'bits' to do first I either potter in my dressing gown or wear an apron.

thatbags Tue 15-Mar-16 16:51:38

I call the bathroom sink the bathroom sink too. I don't like the word basin, except for baking; no idea why but 'sink' is a much more satisfying word. Is it a geographical thin calling a bathroom sink a sink?

It is a sink anyway. The water sinks away.

Just looked them both up. Basin derives from an Old French word, sink from Old English. Preference explained. I do like the directness of sink.

thatbags Tue 15-Mar-16 16:52:02

thing

janelouis Tue 15-Mar-16 16:53:49

I love them and have loads of them smile

Gaggi3 Tue 15-Mar-16 16:55:24

I remember scatter cushions as about 12 inches square, and literally for scattering artistically about the place, not really big enough for anything else. I have 5 inherited from previous owners on a window seat in our bedroom. Thought about getting rid of them but it looks a bit bare without them.

FarNorth Tue 15-Mar-16 16:56:38

Sinks?

FarNorth Tue 15-Mar-16 16:57:21

I like bare.

AnneGran Tue 15-Mar-16 16:58:06

What a fuss about a few cushions! ? I totally agree with pollyperkins.

annsixty Tue 15-Mar-16 17:03:54

Wash basin for me. Just always have. A pleb I expect.

AnneGran Tue 15-Mar-16 17:10:52

I should have said that I agree with pollyperkins that we are all different and that's what makes life interesting. If people want extra cushions, bed strips, cuddly toys, ornaments everywhere, frills and swags on curtains, etc. in their homes I don't think it is anybody else's business but theirs.

Jalima Tue 15-Mar-16 17:27:28

washbasin for me too
I expect I am a pleb too, or perhaps it's the part of the country we come from annsixty

Jalima Tue 15-Mar-16 17:29:30

Kitchen sink though - which DH thinks I put into my handbag when we go out.

grannyactivist Tue 15-Mar-16 17:47:58

I have two green cushions on my white bed cover for a bit of colour and to prop me up when I'm ill in bed. At night they get shoved to one side.
I have sinks in the kitchen and utility room and basins in the bedrooms and bathrooms.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 15-Mar-16 18:23:06

Yes, well, we all have basins in the bathroom. It's just that it doesn't matter if you call it a sink. Because. at the end of the day, and when all's said and done, and any other little sayings you can think of, that's what it is. A sink. Or a basin. Choose.

hmm

FarNorth Tue 15-Mar-16 18:29:15

How luxurious to have the leisure time to witter on about these things! I remember not having the brainpower to even think of anything frivolous, when I had young children.
I longed to lie down on a comfy bed, whatever accoutrements it might have on it. smile

moobox Tue 15-Mar-16 18:53:33

I have been in the "throw them on the floor camp" for years, but recently found a use, as I sit up in bed as soon as I wake, and read 2 chapters of my book. The pillows go behind my back and I reach down for the cushion and it supports my head.

SJP Tue 15-Mar-16 20:19:52

I use mine when reading in bed and one I cuddle when going off to sleep lovely jubbly

phizz Tue 15-Mar-16 22:08:41

'Sink' in the kitchen, 'Wash hand basin' in the loo or bathroom.

I pile matching pillows on top of the bedspread with another cushion in a different cover, They come in handy if you're feeling below par now and then and just want to loll for a while.

I also have a coloured strip at the bottom of the bed but that's for the moggy to sleep on. Keeps it's hairs off the nice velvet bedspread.

I wouldn't like a plain, unadorned bedroom. If you can't have a bit of luxury in your own room where else would you have it?

Jaxie Wed 16-Mar-16 09:02:34

Cushions & strips of cloth in vile synthetic magenta taffeta on hotel beds are not my idea of decor, & similar in private houses, UGH. Give me a bed clothed in light-coloured plain, striped or checked COTTON from Cologne and Cotton without added cushions, add more matching pillows if you will. This habit of copying hotel decor as a sign of good taste strikes me as the expression of someone with no idea of the grammar of decoration.

Tegan Wed 16-Mar-16 09:32:52

The holiday rental that we're doing up has one bedroom that seemed a bit cold looking so I've ordered a couple of cushions in a warmer colour purely to add warmth to the photos; other than that I find cushions that are just there to look good just a nuisance [ditto cushions on sofas].

Jalima Wed 16-Mar-16 10:02:48

when I had young children. I longed to lie down on a comfy bed, whatever accoutrements it might have on it.

When I was a child and didn't want to go to bed, DM used to say 'you'll be glad to go to bed one day' - I didn't realise how right she was!

Alima Wed 16-Mar-16 10:06:14

We seem to have sofa cushions just so the cats have somewhere comfy to sleep.
"Scatter cushions". The answer is in the name. You scatter them.

Marmight Wed 16-Mar-16 11:12:31

I loathe them in hotel rooms. I really don't want to put my head or any part of my person on a pillow which has had an unwashed cushion lying on it, (after all who knows what has been on it before!) however attractive it may make the room look. I just chuck them in a corner, or stuff them in the wardrobe and use an extra pillow or two to prop me up. Cushions belong on sofas and chairs.
I was always taught that a sink is in the kitchen or laundry and the one in the bathroom or loo is a basin confused

Jaxie Thu 24-Mar-16 16:49:16

I was hoping to provoke a reply with my pontificatory post about taste in bedroom furnishings....

kittylester Thu 24-Mar-16 19:12:40

jaxie, ok, if you are spoiling for a fight!!grin

My bedroom has plain white bedding with cushions, a throw, that the cat sits on, a cotton strip which coordinates with the curtains in 100% cotton and the aforementioned cuddlies ( not my fault!). It also has a shower and a hand basin!