Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect people to not chat during a film.

(42 Posts)
mb182 Wed 13-Apr-16 15:08:23

Just got back from silver screen. Watched 'The heart of the sea.' Really good value. Only £3 for fairly recent films. Usually not many there and have got used to totally losing myself in the film with no distractions. Was much busier today but shouldn't have made any difference except three women behind me kept making comments to each other about what was happening in the film all the way through. Totally inane, needless comments like, 'Oh, he's cut the sail, there's the white whale, that's the captain, he's dead...........ALL THE WAY THROUGH. Totally spoiled the film for me. AIBU to expect people to not talk while watching a film. As the film was building up to the climax, the court scene, I couldn't bear it any longer so I did turn round and explain politely that their chatting was making it hard for me to to concentrate and enjoy the film. They seemed to take it on board and one of them did apologise at the end saying she didn't realise they were talking so loud. AIBU to expect people to realise that constant whispering in a cinema is just as distracting as loud voices. The irony is the films always start with a reminder to 'Turn off your phones and finish your conversations!'

Mardler123 Thu 14-Apr-16 13:24:55

All of these annoying practices are because there no longer seems to be any idea of basic courtesy. Same absence among so many of today's drivers, young and old. Then just as I am getting really annoyed and grey along comes someone helpful and courteous and they restore my good humour.

ladytina42 Thu 14-Apr-16 13:51:33

For my sisters 50th birthday, 6 of us met up in London for a weekend. She wanted to see the bodyguard at the theatre, her birthday, her choice. Then she proceeded to talk all the way through, it drove me nuts and I kept 'shushing' her but she continued to talk.....when we talk about it now she thinks I was overreacting... I wasn't ... I'm still annoyed I couldn't follow the story especially when I think how much we all paid.... No-one else said anything though...

Lyndyn Thu 14-Apr-16 14:38:58

When we saw the last James Bond film, behind us sat a mum with three children, they kicked my seat all the way through, fidgeting all the time, talked, and as the film got to crucial points and the music became very loud and dramatic they took that opportunity to shout loudly to one another.
I turned around several times but the mum (who wasn't sat directly behind me) looked studiously ahead.
I was incandescent, and by the end I felt the film has been ruined for us, my husband uses a walking stick, so moving was in my view out of the question, I felt it would have disrupted the film for everyone as we were near the front, and the cinema was fairly full.
When we left the film I called for the manager, who was very very apologetic, I pointed out the family, expecting him to speak to them but he did not. He said they usually send someone in to each film showing - just to check, but they hadn't done it for ours, but his suggestion was NOT to move, but to leave and fetch a member of staff.

We did have 4 free tickets, but haven't been back since.

I feel cinemas need to really explain clearly the etiquette that needs to be followed, so everyone gets to enjoy the experience. Like others have commented, you do not sit munching n slurping your way through a film at home, (do you?) that started to interfere with the enjoyment of the film 10 years or more ago, now it's phones (which I have just heard some cinema chains are thinking of allowing!), chatting AND eating n drinking. I dread to think what's next!

Spangles1963 Thu 14-Apr-16 16:41:54

I have never understood why people will pay good money to go to the cinema just to sit and chat. Go to the pub/coffee shop/park/stay at home if you want to talk! My DD is a regular cinema goer and has no qualms about telling people to shut the fuck up please be quiet.

libertylola Thu 14-Apr-16 19:42:06

Oh yes I so agree have just been to an OAP screening and the lady next to me munched away very loudly whilst rustling a noisy bag for most of the film while next to her was a woman who also kept talking, every time an actor she recognised came into view she said who they were and what they had also been in!!!!!!!!! are they not aware they are spoiling the film for others?

Katek Thu 14-Apr-16 23:03:47

I have a particular beef about alcohol at concerts and theatres as well. When did it become acceptable to drink your way through a live performance? DH and I went to an arena performance by a well known comedian last year, and we were up and down out of our seats like yoyos to let people get past to the bar. They then came back with a clutch of large plastic tumblers containing. doubles/trebles in one hand and a wobbly pile of polystyrene food boxes in the other. Didn't they eat before they came out? This constant parade to the bar really, really annoys me-it's not quite as bad in the theatre - glasses are taken in but I think the bar is still closed during the performance. Can people not sit for 2 hours without consuming
3000 calories and half a bottle of alcohol?

Anya Thu 14-Apr-16 23:17:24

Spangles I too have no qualms about telling people to shut up either.

dorsetpennt Sun 17-Apr-16 09:49:12

Pet peeve talking in the cinema. I think some people think they're at home in front of their tv. We sat in front of two very old ladies. One was hard of hearing so asked for everything to be repeated. The other seemed confused so needed everything explained. We moved.

Alea Sun 17-Apr-16 10:11:11

katek hear, absolutely hear! angryangry
Nice little earner for the theatre, but totally spoils it for me.

Wilks Sun 17-Apr-16 10:45:51

We had this plus coughing during the quietest parts of the concert. Only the orchestra from La Scala, Milan for goodness sake, not that all performers shouldn't be shown the same courtesy. Drives us wild.

JackyB Sun 17-Apr-16 10:55:38

I don't think you can be cross with people laughing if a film is supposed to be funny, but otherwise I get really cross, too. And I agree that the worst culprits are the middle-aged with their inane comments, and not even whispering!

What puzzles me is that people have paid (often quite a lot of) money to go and see the film or whatever, and then don't watch it!

We do still go to the cinema on a Sunday evening when the audiences are usually smaller and a little more subdued. We go to a cinema which doesn't have large screening rooms, too, which reduces the likelihood of people being in there who will disturb you.

As a great fan of the Kermode and Mayo film review programme, I feel I must refer you all to their Code of Conduct: www.bbc.co.uk/5live/films/code_of_conduct.pdf

But concerts of classical music are the worst. How often have I promised myself NEVER to go to one again. Why, oh why do people wait for the quietest bit to cough their lungs out? Grrrrrrrr.

JackyB Sun 17-Apr-16 11:00:05

(Post crossed with wilks's there)

Maggiemaybe Sun 17-Apr-16 12:03:24

Katek, this is one of my many bugbears. I think it's very civilised to be able to take a drink in - lovely to be watching a play or a concert with a glass of wine (and handy to have a drink if you need to cough!). But I don't think anyone should be allowed to "top up" during the performance, pushing backwards and forwards along the row with trays of drinks and disturbing everyone else, sometimes three or four times. The bar should be closed while the show is on. I remember the days, not so long ago, when we arrived late for a concert and had to stand up at the back till the interval, so we didn't disturb other people getting to our seats, which was perfectly fine by us.

Stansgran Sun 17-Apr-16 12:24:03

I had a widowed friend who constantly complained that she never got to the theatre as she didn't drive/ no one to go with. I booked various things she said she would like to go to over the winter. The first one was the Merry Widow. She sang with it all the way through. Not very quietly.

Wilks Sun 17-Apr-16 13:48:20

That made me chuckle Stansgran! I've almost been guilty of same but just managed to contain myself. The worst for me is Messiah, which I sang in annually either in the chorus or as soloist for many years.

granjan15 Sun 17-Apr-16 16:38:10

I had the same experience as lizzypopbottle whilst trying to watch Dad's Army a couple of months ago. It was very distracting but fortunately we'd mainly gone to see the filming locations in Bridlington and on the East Yorkshire coast.