Gransnet forums

AIBU

Rotating clean house linen

(82 Posts)
grandMattie Fri 22-Apr-16 09:56:06

As I was putting the clean linen away this morning, it struck me that I am following my mother's system (and, presumably, my grandmother''s, ad infinitum) of putting the most recent clean bedding at the bottom of the pile, and taking the top one off or vice versa.
I have never understood this - surely if you do that, all your 'stuff' (bedding, table cloths, tea towels, etc.) wears out at the same rate and at the same time. The replacement of the whole lot would then be prohibitive Is it a sort of puritanical thing of keeping your favourite for 'best' or what?

Indinana Fri 22-Apr-16 10:09:17

But if you didn't rotate, then you would only ever use the set of bedding that's on the top. The rest would then become surplus to requirements grin

Neversaydie Fri 22-Apr-16 10:10:42

And I like a change of pattern

grandMattie Fri 22-Apr-16 10:14:20

All my sheets are plain white! grin

Charleygirl Fri 22-Apr-16 10:15:02

I do not rotate bedding- I just pick out what I fancy. I think I have 4 duvet covers and many bottom sheets but I do appear to fancy two covers over the other two. With towels it is what is handiest and I have been known to take towels off the line and reuse again that day.

ninathenana Fri 22-Apr-16 10:19:00

How many sets of bed linen do you all have ?
Yes, I several towels and tea towels but only three sheets and two duvet covers for each bed.
Feel bad now.

grandMattie Fri 22-Apr-16 10:20:53

I have 7 pairs of sheets - hate duvets and eight pairs of bath sheets! I'm a bedding junkie... when we moved I had no fewer than 28 bath sheets... confused

Neversaydie Fri 22-Apr-16 10:33:03

3 sets for each bed One on ,one in wash and one spare in case of accidents.I am always amazed (envious) that people have white bedlinen .Especially if they share with a DH or D (male) P

Lona Fri 22-Apr-16 10:42:54

I always rotate my bedding and towels. My airing cupboard has neat piles of beautifully folded linen ,(three sets) all thanks to my mum! She worked in a laundry when she was young and was taught how to iron and look after clothes and linens.

harrigran Fri 22-Apr-16 10:50:15

Set me off thinking about bed linen and went to count it, ten duvet covers and at least twenty sheets, and yes they get rotated. Thirty two towels in bathroom cupboard blush well they never seem to wear out.

wot Fri 22-Apr-16 10:50:26

If I didn't rotate my bedding and towels, including g tea towels, I feel they might get musty.

Juggernaut Fri 22-Apr-16 10:54:04

I joined the plain white bed linen 'brigade' a few years ago, so sheets go with whichever duvet cover and pillowcases I choose. I stick to very high thread count cotton, and have five sheets and four duvet covers for each bed. It's probably best if I don't start counting the towels and tea towels, they're both definitely in the 'dozens'!

grandMattie Fri 22-Apr-16 12:14:34

High thread count seems to wear out very fast.
The 7 pairs of sheets are for my own bed... I have 6 double duvet covers and matching sheets and pillow cases and four pairs of single duvet covers too for the spare beds. Got 6 double duvets of various togs and feather or poly-filling, ditto single duvets. As for pillows...Told you I was a bedding junkie! grin
The musty smell wouldn't work if kept in an airing cupboard, but these days with these -rubbish- fancy boilers and no hot water tank, an airing cupboard is no more. I SO miss mine sad

tanith Fri 22-Apr-16 12:28:02

I have all white sheets too some brushed cotton they go with my white cotton Summer duvets and also with the Winter coloured duvets also brushed cotton. (OH insists on brushed cotton in the Winter) I do rotate them likewise my towel sets I have 4 sets in different colours and use them in rotation too but as some are older than others they get replaced as they wear out.
I love my airing cupboard and when my 'lodger/daughter' moves out of my spare room next week I'll be able to once again stack all my linen back in the airing cupboard which at present is filled to bursting with her 'stuff'.

grannylyn65 Fri 22-Apr-16 12:40:34

I just chuck everything in a heap! Live alone, who cares!

Ana Fri 22-Apr-16 12:45:20

Ha, ha, me too grannylyn65! Although it does start off folded...

Lona Fri 22-Apr-16 14:13:23

Oh why haven't we got a smug face emoticon? grin ?

SueDonim Fri 22-Apr-16 15:02:08

I have three sets of bed linen for our bed and two for the spare beds. I rotate the three sets (and three sets of towels) but I've never noticed then wearing out all at once, probably because I haven't bought them all at once,. I've just bought things when I see soemthing I like.

My oldest duvet set is getting on for 15yrs old and is now beautifully soft but also very thin. I shall be sad when it's not longer fit for purpose.

Thingmajig Fri 22-Apr-16 15:05:21

For bed linen I always wash and put on the bed that day, then the "dirty" stuff goes into the basket for the next bed change day ... I love the fresh smell and even better if it's been dried outside!

We changed to single duvets last year (husband swelters under 11.5 togs while I use 4.5) and we now have 3 sets of duvet covers. Probably half a dozen king size though but I'll hang on to them in case I revert back to higher togs. smile

BBbevan Fri 22-Apr-16 15:22:30

I am an all white person too. Both bed linen and towels. Towels are rolled up in sets on the middle shelf in the airing cupboard. Each set of bed linen is folded into one of the pillow cases on the top shelf. I love my bolster pillows which I bought from Toast with their ticking covers.
A clean, sweet smelling , newly made bed is a joy to get into.

Kittye Fri 22-Apr-16 19:57:35

harrigran andgrandMattie where do you keep it all?shock I've nowhere near as much linen as you and my airing cupboard's overflowing!

Kittye Fri 22-Apr-16 20:01:16

BB I'm an all white linen and towel person too. I like the idea of keeping sets in pillowcases, I'd never thought to do that, will give it a go. I love clean bedding and would change it every day if I had the energy!

granjura Fri 22-Apr-16 20:55:28

ahahah how the other half lives- rotating linen?!

All our beds are different sizes too- so do try to keep them in sets that go together- but ...

yogagran Fri 22-Apr-16 21:04:09

What do you all do with your spare duvets? The summer one when you're using the winter one and vice versa. The vacuum bags never seem to hold he vacuum, there's no room under the beds so where do they go?

wot Fri 22-Apr-16 21:13:15

The vacuum bags are a big disappointment. I fold mine up, roll them and tie with string, put them in large white bin bags and label them. Then they go into my small, sloping roofed loft